xp chain tension

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does any one know what the chain tension or torque is on the allen bolt fo the tensioner, i put in a 20 tooth top gear in my 163 and put the cover on before i adjusted the tensioner,[dumba$$] now its really hard to tell thru the plug at the top. I called my dealer today and was told that the set screw is supposed to be finger tight but the bolt for the tensioner has so much crap on the threads that i cant even turn the allen bolt with my fingers if i wanted to. What i may do is take the bolt right out and clean the threads good so i may be able to actually turn the bolt by hand, but with my luck it will leak from the threads of the bolt. :( what do you guys think about this setup, i liked the old style much better.

koko3052

Reaction score
What kind of "crap" could possibly be on the tensioner bolt in the chaincase? If there is , you'd best be cleaning everything. Your dealer is right, turn tensioner bolt finger tight, back off about 1/2 turn to get the spring clip in .

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was told that you have to have a thread sealant on that bolt to stop the leak. So remove and clean off old install new liquid teflon sealant and set tension and let it set up show work. What does your owners manual say?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that you have to have a thread sealant on that bolt to stop the leak. So remove and clean off old install new liquid teflon sealant and set tension and let it set up show work. What does your owners manual say?
So there IS one other guy out there that reads owners manuals?:D:D:D

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its has nothingto do with the owners manual, there is red loctite on the botl also so the only way your going to get that thread on that bolt where you can turn it with your fingers on that little head of the bolt is take the bolt right out, run a tap through the hole and wire brush the threads on the bolt. That is why there is a rubber o ring update for the lock nut for the bolt to seal the threads now without putting anymore crap on the threads. Keep in touch with your dealers and updates, manuals are generic and are not going to tell you the updated way to do a adjustment.

Top Bottom