XP 800 Track Suggestion

kudroc2

Reaction score
I have 198miles on my new XP and clipped a rock in Morning Glory Clemina. 2 inch tear in my track and took out my bogie. I am sending it to Bentech in Manitoba, apparently they can vulcanize and fix like new $140 plus shipping Since I have it out wondering if it would be worth going with a aftermarket track. Any sugesstions? I also confirmed that I have the 21T gear, thinking I should change to the 19T. Since I have my drive out looks like I should get it welded also.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which track do you have, the powerdermax or the challenger?

One of them is harder and lighter, made for deep power riding, problem is if you start to get stuck, it is very un-forgiving, it digs a hole fast. The padels stay square when it's digging and it removes all the snow out quick. It's also more fragile, rocks, stickes etc will chew chunks out of the paddels. It is a faster track in powder though.

The other tends to be more versitle, the fingers are softer and it tends to push up a bit (as the figers bend back), its little easier to get along with.

Maybe someone can confirm which is which.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
The challenger lite is the harder of the two. Change the gear to a 19 tooth and have your dealer give you a 377 belt for it. you won't be disapointed, You should also add 3.5 grams of weight per arm in your primary clutch, way better bottom and mid range power. Definatley weld the drive shaft, if you look in Doo-Talk forums you will find directions to do 90% of the job yourself (drill holes) then just get a good welder to tig weld it up, about 15 min. of welding. I run the challenger lite track and have no complaints.:D:D

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a challenger lite track on my 07 it's works good but my buddy thinks the powder max is better, but i like mine:D:D

kudroc2

Reaction score
The challenger lite is the harder of the two. Change the gear to a 19 tooth and have your dealer give you a 377 belt for it. you won't be disapointed, You should also add 3.5 grams of weight per arm in your primary clutch, way better bottom and mid range power. Definatley weld the drive shaft, if you look in Doo-Talk forums you will find directions to do 90% of the job yourself (drill holes) then just get a good welder to tig weld it up, about 15 min. of welding. I run the challenger lite track and have no complaints.:D:D
Thanks, my spare belt is the 377 but the factory one is still on my sled. I have only had my sled out once to Valemount and have 200 miles my belt on the sled looks fine. I have heard guys going through belt every 50miles. I have talked to my dealer about changing the gear and they said they would do it, but if my belt is fine not suggesting it??? I am going to weld my drive,my brother is a welder so he will do it for nothing...he owes me. I found a new track off a modied sled, not sure what kind it is...supposed it is whatever the factory track is.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My factory belt was fine for the first 700km, but then went. I removed all foam and plastic when I first got the sled, and could not even touch the primary clutch as it was too hot. At roughly 400km I had put extra weight in the primary (total weight 15.8g) and changed the primary spring to 160/290 to help with the overrevving that was happening. It helped the rpm issue, and also helped cool the primary a little bit but there was still too much heat to hold a hand on the primary very long. After the belt went, I got a new 377 belt, primary cleaning, and more weight in the primary (16.2g total weight now) all covered by warranty. As well I picked up a Mountain Magic vent kit at Martin Motorsports ($95.00) and installed most of it (there was one piece that I was unsure of where to put it until I phoned them). This weekend I am going to McBride and will see what the new belt/more weight/vent kit does for my clutch temps. There is no reason I shouldn't get at least 2000km to a belt, and at $170/belt, I am going to do everything I can to make sure I am not going to need to purchase many of them once the warranty is up.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Lite track and like it too. I one thing I notice is you can`t gas it too hard off the start in deep powder or you`ll dig too much. One really good thing is if you are climbing and losing speed in powder, get into track and she will pick up speed and keep you climbing.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you try phoning Ken at speciality sleds? some times he has new takeoffs that he will sell it's worth a try.

kudroc2

Reaction score
I found a take off in Calgary, putting the new track on before the 29th as I am heading to Valemount. waiting for my dealer to get the 19T gear in and adding more weights to my clutch...hopefully before the trip.

Does anyone find the XP hard to carve with? I took my stabilizers off and it helped some but compared to my 2001 Summit 800 I find it hard to turn over and not get bucked off. Any suggestions with suspension adjustments?

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took off my stab "bars" and never looked back. I do ride with the preload pretty stiff but I love it. I think its pretty individual to each rider. The 19 tooth gearing and extra weight did change my machine quite a bit. I lost a huge amout of track speed, but it holds the speed better and pulls like a frieght train in the mid range.

kudroc2

Reaction score
I hear you... drive shaft drilled, welded Tues putting, everything back together Wed night, Thur morn to the dealer for weights and new gear then off to mountains Friday at least thats how it should work, who knows might be taking my old (now wifes) sled 01 Summit 800

kudroc2

Reaction score
I thought the issue was with me as I am a fairly new rider, until some of my buddies took my sled for a ride last trip one rides a dragon other a M7 cat...not sure if they were just raggin me but they agreed really hard to manuvere not sure what to try for adjustments. I am not a small guy 6 1 225lb and I have to pull like a mule to get it to carve or turn over????

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took off my stab "bars" and never looked back. I do ride with the preload pretty stiff but I love it. I think its pretty individual to each rider. The 19 tooth gearing and extra weight did change my machine quite a bit. I lost a huge amout of track speed, but it holds the speed better and pulls like a frieght train in the mid range.

I ride with a guy who tried the 19T and lost too much track speed, try the 20T like he did and you'll get it back, depending on if you did anything else to the clutches other than the weight change.

Top Bottom