XM Take offs..wtb/opinions

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a feeler....looking at buying a theft recovered XM....but most of it is gone. it still has a tunnel, and engine, some suspension,pan and coolers, and steering, tank, etc..all wiring looks intact, but it missing all plastic, headlight, chaincase, clutches, track and skid, and one side of the a-arms....looks like a 'strip it quick cuz the feds watchin!' deal...

I love these sleds, but don't wanna drop 13k on one....might be able to piece this one back together for next season..anyone know of wrecks, or part-outs?

Or, should i avoid this mis-mash?

xmsummit154

Reaction score
I bet if you put a add on here u would find a lot of parts for them. Also saw all plastics on ebay as well as other parts so probably wouldn't be that bad to find the parts needed. wish I could find a project like this to. Where did you purchase it from?? I would like to find a similar project.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a private deal, the guy had insurance, and bought the sled back...I'm not sure what he paid, but what he's offering it up for makes it tempting....

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen a post on here not long ago with someone trying to sell there stock clutches. Pretty sure it was primary and secondary with no miles.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There are lots of stock suitcases around just for asking. I also have a stitched left hand side panel that works well. A little bit of a pain getting 'em to GP......just saying!

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a feeler....looking at buying a theft recovered XM....but most of it is gone. it still has a tunnel, and engine, some suspension,pan and coolers, and steering, tank, etc..all wiring looks intact, but it missing all plastic, headlight, chaincase, clutches, track and skid, and one side of the a-arms....looks like a 'strip it quick cuz the feds watchin!' deal...

I love these sleds, but don't wanna drop 13k on one....might be able to piece this one back together for next season..anyone know of wrecks, or part-outs?

Or, should i avoid this mis-mash?

I wouldn't be scared, but have to look at the overall cost to get it all back together. Also depends on how picky you are. If you want it 100% perfect, might turn into a money pit. If you're willing to macgyver a set of lights instead of the factory headlight, will save you some $$. Shipping used parts is also going to add up.

Have a MBRP trail can off my '13 for you if you need it. Think I also still have a Frankenstein right panel you can have - might be the twin to FernieSnow's Left side.

If you decide to proceed, post a list of what you need and you might be surprised.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like said, if you can overlook some cosmetics go for it. I have seen numerous clutches and flex edge tracks for sale on here. Find some side panels from these guy or dealer, do a diamond S hood and LED headlights, chaincase from an xp will fit or just find the inner case and buy the c3 syncrodrive on here. Should be able to find a skid on here or upgrade with iceage rails and toms E motion.
I'd say for less than a used one you could have yours together with some pretty fancy parts on it.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to look at it tonight in person...I guess the chaincase is there, but the drivers and shaft aren't, etc...

I don't mind Frankenstein parts in the least, I had a bike that took a biff at stratotech a few years ago, its entire tail was stitched back together, with an ice cream bucket as a backing plate.

That being said, It is still under warranty, and it can't be toooo cobbled looking when done!!

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok so i guess i get to look at it tomorrow...

That being said, what fits off an XP? A-Arms and shocks for sure..track? Skid? I could look for t-motion later...any panels or lighting fit? seat? Brakes?
I know of a 2009 XP complete, with a bent up tunnel..still running and kinda driving.
if enough parts work off the XP on the XM, i'll buy up the XP, take my suspension, and whatever else, then part the XP..

mctrailboss

Reaction score
you will find many parts fit. rear skid, track and shaft fit. plastic doesn't. seat yes, lights no. you should put up a list as you will be surprised how much stuff is taking up space in garages. a lot of people upgrade many components you listed leaving the stock stuff up for grabs.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, if I pull the trigger and buy her (I already got him a draft) I'll post up pics of what i doo have, and folks can offer up their parts collecting dust! I think i'll get the 2013 first, see how scarce the big ticket parts are, (track, skid, front sus) and if needed i can buy the bent XP and take what i need, sell the motor and whatnot to try and recoup some losses...

hpjunkie

Reaction score
I'm going to look at it tonight in person...I guess the chaincase is there, but the drivers and shaft aren't, etc...

I don't mind Frankenstein parts in the least, I had a bike that took a biff at stratotech a few years ago, its entire tail was stitched back together, with an ice cream bucket as a backing plate.

That being said, It is still under warranty, and it can't be toooo cobbled looking when done!!
I would be surprised if it still has warranty being a write-off. Might be something to check into..

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are waiting till spring/summer I will have a whole pile of parts that will only have this season of use on them, which may not be too much

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did the lien search and had the RCMP run the VIN. Apparently its not a common request in GP!?!

Finally getting the chance to look at her in person tonight, and after that I'm going to look at the wrecked XP, see what a fella can get it for...

pooch

Reaction score
if its a theft recovery it won't have warranty , they flag the VIN, best check it with the dealer. as for the front end, get a S-36 kit and you'll have everything for cheap and spare's.
the head light is only 200 from the dealer. but I would buy a Head light delete hood ( can't remember the name of the company) and install LED style light for the same price.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So...Picked it up tonight, then went and saw the fella about the bent tunnel XP unit. He gave me a sweet deal on parts, but I'm stripping the bent unit for him, as he has no time..Whatever, that works for me, I can drink beer while i do it, and then maybe drink his beer giving him a hand on work on his own sled.

I'm trying to work a deal on the t-motion skid and track off another member here, so if all works out well, she'll be standing on her own legs this week or next, with clutches and shafts back on..basically moveable under her own power again....

Once that is all done, I can start my hunt for plastics...headlight...it has guages still, it was a 163" X model.

Last edited:

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wanted Ad, I'll get pics there and here tomorrow.
Thanks for the help so far guys!!

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that spiraled outta control quickly..I ended up getting an avy sunk 2013 154" XM, and had already bought the bent tunnel XP..so now i'm parting
a XM 154 sled e-tek,
XP 154 800,

to fix my 2013 XM Summit X163"

I'm still short airbox, track and skid, and headlight and surround...and 2 side panels, and windsheild...

Last edited:
Top Bottom