xm needs more throttle responce

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. Here's the deal with xm stock clutching. Keep in mind im an ibackshift cult member.
The stock secondary spring has a lower finish force than the DJ kit. This means it will open faster and thus shift up faster and feel doggy. Its almost like changing the gears too fast on your bike. Stock also doesnt backshift as fast as most kits, resulting in rpm fluctuations in different snow conditions. Theres a helix involved in the equation too but thats what i know.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
19-51 straight 40 it's all slow it will feel doggy .I Think the motor like more gear and or more helix.
You are completely right. That is why I am stocking the TKI belt drive with 2.42:1 gearing. This gives the XM more acceleration and better track speed than stock gearing. $899. Pair this up with a Shockwave adjustable helix and you got a killer combo.

Attachments

• Ski-doo dynodrive.jpg
    Ski-doo dynodrive.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 324
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i find it strange that some people think the xm has slow throttle response and they go write away and adjust something mechanically !!Maybe you need to adjust the way you ride?That being said i hope i get to try a XM with a good clutch kit so i can see for myself.would have to be on a good powder day for sure.My Xm was such an improvement over my rev (and i loved that sled)that i can't justify spending more money on adjustments that don't make noticeable improvements while out riding.I do relise that for some motor sports enthusiasts making mechanical adjustments is a must for their enjoyment of the sport!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every change made to a sled is subjective for the most part. Likely more than half the riders never change their clutching.

How a sled responds to throttle, where it engages, how much compression braking and how it back shifts are just a few of the endless items people can change to suit their wants and needs.

There are some minor changes to reeds and intake components as well as a few other things for '14. It will be interesting to see how those minor changes effect the performance of the sled. If at all.

sent from a top secret location

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have also found reeds play a large factor in this especially on an etec. Ive been the guy to sell reeds on "they add hp" however imo on the etec being its a direct injection setup the faster you can get the air in the cylinder to mix with the fuel it only stands to reason it should make more power. What I can tell you is I havent had one on the dyno, but we tested 2 154 xm's last season side by side both clutched and geared the same both running our 120 deg thermostats. One with mbrp can and v -force reeds one with stock can and stock reeds. Sled with mbrp can and v-force reeds pulled more pin weight in the primary and was consistently 1.5-2 sled lengths faster than the one with out.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
How much says I could leave my sled stock.. and tell everyone to ride it and check out my clutch kit.... And they would get off and be like.... wow that works pretty good! 90% of people CANT "feel" a difference. Who cares about how much bottom end "snap" your sled "feels" like it has as long as its there? Its a way more linear tourqe curve... It HAS alot of snap... just the whole way through. The P TEK was all down low.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much says I could leave my sled stock.. and tell everyone to ride it and check out my clutch kit.... And they would get off and be like.... wow that works pretty good! 90% of people CANT "feel" a difference. Who cares about how much bottom end "snap" your sled "feels" like it has as long as its there? Its a way more linear tourqe curve... It HAS alot of snap... just the whole way through. The P TEK was all down low.

Just like a loud sled has more power.

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working!

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So talking to guys that had Etecs in 11-13 year range and riding them myself I noticed that they did feel sluggish compared to my Ptec But I did notice that they pulled through the snow at low end and tight riding was way better with the stock clutch. I am going to adjust my riding to my 14 XM and then maybe next year I might play with it. I have to say that Ski Doo puts millions of dollars into R&D and I am pretty sure that they have fine tuned this set up since 08 to now

Top Bottom