XM Belt Alignment

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for info on XM belt alignment...She was good all last year, unitl late in the season...
then she exploded a belt...no big deal.
now, less than 200km later, she ate another...
Looking at the belts you can visibly see the primary is sitting farther out than the secondary, or the secondary farther in....
is there a belt alignment guide? Did I forget a shim somewhere? Help! Belts are $$$!!!!

She's a 2013 XM-X 800 163, all stock except can.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's just a google link....I'm at work....I've tried googling, and get ZXY measurements for the XP, but doesn't say what their using, or where the measurements are taken....any diagrams posted require you to join their stinkin' forum. :/

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for info on XM belt alignment...She was good all last year, unitl late in the season...
Looking at the belts you can visibly see the primary is sitting farther out than the secondary, or the secondary farther in....
is there a belt alignment guide? Did I forget a shim somewhere? Help! Belts are $$$!!!!

Forget a shim somewhere???? Have you had sled apart?

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had the sled apart.
I compared to the 15 I have in the garage next to it, and my sheaves are 1/4" out with parallel misalignment compared to the 15. There's not enough slot in the motor mounts to correct it. Is there a spacer on the jackshaft I might have missed?! Nothing looks bent, but the secondary is 1/4 more to the right (or motor to the left) than the new one.
Gonna have to do some measuring and figuring tonight!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So what changed late last season?
Did you hit something? swap a jackshaft with a older sled? Any work done on the sled.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you by chance take both clutches apart to make sure everything is clean and moving freely? might be a piece or more of belt caught in one. Seen that lots.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

not sure if this will help but you can float the driven clutch and remove some shims. i had a rev that started eating belts and that cured it. i bought it from a guy out of mournville. hes on here but i forget his name....Duck something.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if this will help but you can float the driven clutch and remove some shims. i had a rev that started eating belts and that cured it. i bought it from a guy out of mournville. hes on here but i forget his name....Duck something.
Totally different set up on the new sleds

Not just like a rev

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you buy the conversion kit for $500, then you can float it. But if you had no issues all last season, blew belt and now blowing quickly I'd start with taking clutches apart. I have a 2014 in the garage now with under 2000 km's and two of the arms only move 1/3 of the way. Have to keep these clean. No shift, no go, blow belt. Lol

finndoo

Reaction score
We used to shim the early xp to theses specs, Z= 21 mm, X =41 +\- 1mm, Y=X + 1.5mm +\- .5. I think the 2012 and newer came like that from the factory.

Top Bottom