"WOW, this happened to me" pics

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 2004 there was a big hail storm in West Edmonton, some of you may recall.
Anyway, under the 159th street bridge, here is what happened to my car. It was front page of, and in the Edmonton Journal.
So moral of my story is... don't let your car believe it is a canoe...it's not.

Attachments

• mycar.jpg
    mycar.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 441

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, and I was the first insurance claim paid from that terrible day. I received it 3 days later.
Insurance inspector said 2 things..
One was that the first question I answered when I phoned to report it, was that I answered yes to everyone wearing seatbelts until the time we climbed out the passenger side window and jumped onto the ledge.
Two was that a guy I went to high school with happened to be there checking out what was going on, adn happened to take this pic. I didn't even know it was him at first. Anyway, the inspector told me that because of this photo, where it shows water over the dash, and only one headlight on, proves to insurance the vehicle shorted out and had to be written off.
He told me it would have been a drawn out mess, had I not had this photo taken immediately after we climbed out. He said it is a very difficult thing to verify.
Thank you to other people and their cameras !!!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
My boss has the pics of the flood as a screen saver and your car is on it

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool, I am more famous than I thought.
We went to a family reunion in BC that same summer, after the flood. The people who own the resort had the same photo on their wall in the restaurant. I did not notice until they were looking at our pics we had with us, and then they said, "hey, we printed a copy of this picture for the wall. Here, look" and it was. Kinda cool to look back at now, but not fun at the time.
My kids were pretty disturbed for a few months afterward. To this day when we drive down the whitemud, they don't like going under that bridge.
My daughter is still mad that the barbies she was playing with got sucked out the window like a vacuum. My son was scared to jump out the passenger window, because you could not see through the hail and rain, of you would make it up onto the cement wall thing. Just jump blindly.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I was sitting on the exit ramp to calgary trail and out of the corner of my eye water poured over the berm we were just on it and there was nothing it flooded that fast

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my parents live just South of Whitemud in Patricia Cr. and they had about 8" of water end up in their basement..
I was there with my shopvac for about 5 hours sucking the water out..
they had about $30,000.00 worth of damages.
Insurance covered it all...
but were required to put in a backflow valve afterwards...
I remember the day very well !!

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Magnet tells me that your truck is so high I'd need a ladder to get in anyway. So, no, you would not have had water in the cab, but that doesn't help a person who couldn't get a lifted truck like that, because I couldn't get in it anyway, lol. But they sure look nice.
I didn't tell my car to try and be a canoe, it tried that all on it's own, lol.

Top Bottom