Wow - Ford ecoboost horror story

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People that are brand loyal to Ford are beyond my comprehension. Especially when the story goes like this:

7.3L diesel blew a transmission
6.0L diesel blew everything and sold for pennies on the dollar
6.4L diesel blew turbos and head gaskets
6.7L diesel it's pretty good (well no kidding it's good they had 3 kicks at the can)

Ford has shown us for years that they cannot handle building a forced induction motor (03/04 cobra, 6.0L, 6.4L, ecoboost) and only in the last couple with the new 5.0L and 6.2L have they shown us that they can make a V8 that isn't a gutless fuel pig.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard about the intercooler issue a couple of times. Ford should maybe step up and fix them.

They have all get changed to the 2013 one that has a deflector on it to slow down the cooling process.
Problem was the cooler was working to good and cooling the air to fast causing condensation to form in the cooler.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ford never built the 7.3l or the 6.0l they are international engines the new 6.7 l powerstoke motor is the first ford built diesel

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
People that are brand loyal to Ford are beyond my comprehension. Especially when the story goes like this:

7.3L diesel blew a transmission
6.0L diesel blew everything and sold for pennies on the dollar
6.4L diesel blew turbos and head gaskets
6.7L diesel it's pretty good (well no kidding it's good they had 3 kicks at the can)

Ford has shown us for years that they cannot handle building a forced induction motor (03/04 cobra, 6.0L, 6.4L, ecoboost) and only in the last couple with the new 5.0L and 6.2L have they shown us that they can make a V8 that isn't a gutless fuel pig.

Not like GMC/Chev is any better. 6.5 turbo diesel, warped heads and other issues at 200,000 km. The old 6.2 sure they got great fuel economy, but walk past it with an ice cream come in the middle of summer it wouldn't start. 6.0l gasser, good power, but can't drive past a fuel station with it. Their whole throttle body injection era, aka the electronic carb. And how many transmissions did they replace? Dodge wasn't any better in that department either.

So with that being said, it's easy to pick apart any of the big 3 or even the imports for that matter. How can anyone be brand loyal in that case?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not like GMC/Chev is any better. 6.5 turbo diesel, warped heads and other issues at 200,000 km. Agreed, Junk. The old 6.2 sure they got great fuel economy, but walk past it with an ice cream come in the middle of summer it wouldn't start Ever try to start a 6.9 or pre superduty 7.3 in the cold?. 6.0l gasser, good power, but can't drive past a fuel station with it about the same as a 5.4 in a superduty, ever drive a 460 or 351W? . Their whole throttle body injection era, aka the electronic carb. And how many transmissions did they replace? No idea, probably less than Ford's 4r100 and Dodges 47/48re Dodge wasn't any better in that department either Agreed Dodge can't make a transmission.

So with that being said, it's easy to pick apart any of the big 3 or even the imports for that matter. How can anyone be brand loyal in that case?

I think in modern times Ford has brought the most fail. They build nice trucks they just struggle with powerplants. And personally I would rather have a POS that still gets me around than a nice truck that leaves me on the side of the road.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pre 96 6.5 DSL didn't have enough coolant flow. Hence heads and gaskets...the water pump maxed at 80 gph with a single stat. And the fan clutch in stock locked up at 115 deg c...

The 96 got a 130 gph pump , 2 stats ..still same p.o.s fan clutch.
My truck I got a duramax clutch adapted to fit the 6.5. Locks up at 100 deg c ... Now it cools before it get super hot.
Before it was super hot and couldn't keep up till down hill or no load.

They needed a intercooler from the start. Makes a huge difference ( I have a 97 6.5 DSL and put a aftermarket intercooler in and works awsome. ).

Gets 25 plus mpg unloaded.

The older 7.3 was the same. Needed a intercooler too.

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This doesn't pass the smell test. One bad engine, entirely possible. Two, getting very questionable. Three engines? Starting to look like operator induced failure. Unless there's something in that particular trucks computer that allows it to over rev or run lean to the point it burns up pistons and valves, I can't buy it. And I also can't buy that he's the only one in the world that operates in that unique set of variables that destroys engines.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just came through Golden, and the loads some of those guys were towing with those eco-boosts was crazy....

I just passed one on the way home with no trailer mirrors towing two -two seater rzrs sideways(how wide is that?) AND a four seater rzr on a tandem(3500lb axles) aluminum trailer that was bowed over so bad. I passed him laughing, and he knew what I was laughing at! Lol

I will also laugh if he's a member and comments here! Lmao

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read through the whole thing... some people blamed it on too high of octane haha. But in all seriousness sometimes a truck is just a money pit and nothing else. Like my buddy had a GMC that left him on the side of the road more times than he'd care to admit. He fixed almost every single part in the front end more that once. That being said, Eco boost is a turbo V6, you want to haul loads consistently, get a Diesel or a big block V8. Its all about percentage of max output. If you're running at 85% all the time your bound to break down faster than the guy running at only 25%.

Dynamic

Reaction score
It would be hard for me to believe this could happen if it didn't happen to me. It was just a high pressure fuel pump for me but it was changed 3 times on a 2010 equinox. I promptly sold it for a big loss and bought a Honda. One time they told me my oil was dirty, I said "ya it is, and it's full of gas too.....from the high pressure fuel pump". I was sent home because they said nothing was wrong but I was an expert with the stupid thing, I knew when the pump was failing before the car knew. A week later when the car tripped the malfunction light they finally decided to fix it.

Top Bottom