Would you use this cylinder ?

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
Its off a dragon 800 I'm doing the fix kit and I honed it and this small scratch center of pic. I can barely catch my nail on it and can't feel it with my finger. my question is will it ruin my reliability that I wanted from the fix kit I know it probably won't hurt performance but will it cut my ring in half or will the nikilsil flake off after 1000 miles ? I don't want to be worried about blowing my engine when im 3 bowls back in oasis so has anyone put something back together before like this and did it hold up ?
cylinder.jpg

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run it,there is nutting wrong with that. I'v see worst used before, and they lasted.....

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You honed nikasil? What type of hone did you use? Honing is a procedure used to create a crosshatch pattern on cylinder walls to allow piston rings to break-in to the cylinder and to, (most importantly) give proper piston to cylinder wall clearance. Usually nikasil is applied to the cylinder in a final piston clearance application and doesn't get honed, no? What is your final piston clearance? Scoring on cylinder walls is never a good thing.

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
The guy at polaris did it I'm pretty sure he used a stone one
they do it all the time I guess and the mtkx instructions said to hone it i haven't put the pistons in yet I need another base gasket its on order .

Last edited:

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We always gave nikasil cylinders on dirt bikes a light hone with a ball hone

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
It recommended not to use a ball or flex hone . Its a light hone I can feel the coating still.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a deglazing hone can't remember what grit and I crosshatch all cylinders it's a must for brake in

Last edited:
Top Bottom