workplace activities

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting development here... got a indoor putting green for christmas, thought I could use this at work. A gas plant in the middle of no where.. Our manager comes around for a monthly tour and believes it is completely unacceptable. We have an image etc. So what ever out it comes. It kind of shocked me to be honest that a person would be that short sighted to think that a small sports game would be a massive work place distraction rather than an occasional novelty item. There is literally 10 people that may see it. I thought that making a work environment fun was supposed to be a good thing? Am I offside? I would like to hear your comments.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
That's very unprofessional of you. I worked at a gas plant. The Operations crew had a satellite dish so they could watch TV on nights during slow times. The managers all knew. But they had the reciever hidden in the roof tiles and it was never on display during normal working hours.

Imo you were asking for it by leaving it set up during the boss tour. What did you think, that he was going to challenge you to a game? Put yourself in his shoes.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Where I used to work we had a ping-pong table in the warehouse area and every day at lunch pre-determined tournament matches were played. They used a bracket system and a tournament would last 2-3 weeks depending on participant availability. I think it was awesome for company moral and comradery. I don't see it as unprofessional at all.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Bogger it looks like you and I are similar thinkers.. The reason I bring this up is I am surprised at the variance of opinion on this, make work fun and get people engaged seems like a winner to me.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where I used to work we had a ping-pong table in the warehouse area and every day at lunch pre-determined tournament matches were played. They used a bracket system and a tournament would last 2-3 weeks depending on participant availability. I think it was awesome for company moral and comradery. I don't see it as unprofessional at all.
I think it depends on where the putting green is. Is it in a sole office or in a common area? To me it really depends on the company culture. It makes it look like the crew is playing and not working but if it's used responsibly during break times then absolutely it can be a great team and camaraderie exercise.

That's very unprofessional of you. I worked at a gas plant. The Operations crew had a satellite dish so they could watch TV on nights during slow times. The managers all knew. But they had the reciever hidden in the roof tiles and it was never on display during normal working hours.

Imo you were asking for it by leaving it set up during the boss tour. What did you think, that he was going to challenge you to a game? Put yourself in his shoes.

I used to work in a pulp mill that had a hidden satellite dish and then the TV and receiver were stashed in an unassuming cupboard in the control room. The shift super knew it was there and the guys liked to watch the news so he would call up before coming in around news time. Funny how those things work sometimes. I spent a lot of time on my plant checks looking for that dish but never could find it.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe he had something against golfing, try a basketball setup instead?

In all seriousness there are relatively few places you would get away with that, especially with larger companies. Everyone knows it won't affect the plant performance and likely improve moral, but the optics are bad and unlikely to be accepted by the management.

Last edited:

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting development here... got a indoor putting green for christmas, thought I could use this at work. A gas plant in the middle of no where.. Our manager comes around for a monthly tour and believes it is completely unacceptable. We have an image etc. So what ever out it comes. It kind of shocked me to be honest that a person would be that short sighted to think that a small sports game would be a massive work place distraction rather than an occasional novelty item. There is literally 10 people that may see it. I thought that making a work environment fun was supposed to be a good thing? Am I offside? I would like to hear your comments.

A massive workplace distraction...No, i don't agree it's that bad but i don't agree it should be allowed...You're manager that say's you have an image is probably more concerned how he can have employees that have enough down time to play mini golf. You truly believe that you're boss thinks you are only playing put put on you're 15 min break and only on you're break? Highly unlikely, maybe you are the one stand up employee that only plays on break time but that is not how a Manager see's it.
As a manager myself, if my guys had a golf green i'd toss it but we have a steady production going and use our down time differently. If that golf green was rolled out in a lunch room/break room you're Manager might look at it differently. my 2 cents.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
I don't see having fun at work being a problem as long as the work is done and the shop / work area is clean and maintained properly. At my shop the guys set up a make shift bowling alley, and we play basketball during slow times. The way I see it if I'm paying them to be there best be doing something instead of sitting on there thumbs.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I get the distraction issue but typically an operations job has bursts of activity and we determine our own schedule as far as tasks that need to be accomplished throughout the day. I find it interesting all the naysayers commenting on wasted time etc yet here we are during working hours debating this..

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
So I get the distraction issue but typically an operations job has bursts of activity and we determine our own schedule as far as tasks that need to be accomplished throughout the day. I find it interesting all the naysayers commenting on wasted time etc yet here we are during working hours debating this..

I was just going to say..... Is putting a golf ball any worse than posting on S&M during work hours..... I'm always busy but still find time to throw down a few posts throughout the day, does not mean I'm not productive. If anything it keeps me on my toes as I bounce around from task to task.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting thing to happen.
For us the City supplies a basket with games and activities for coffee breaks.

Idea is to allow staff a break from the day and clear your mind.

Nothing wrong with TV. Basketball , floor hockey or foosball table.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s all about optics, don’t try and fight it! Just laugh and move on. It will eat you up trying to figure it out.
I’m 20 years in the same plant. You won’t win the battle, u just want to come home safe after the war!

A company just spent like $5000 on personalized coffee mugs so they could get rid of styrofoam cups... better for the environment, with that they switched to wood stir stick vs. The plastic ones!!! Lmfao the wood sticks came individually wrapped in plastic???

Optics! Not saying it’s not gunna be stage 4 retarded !
Just go with it and pull the golf thing out on nights while ur watching hockey before ur nap!

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments all! I find it interesting that most people strongly agree or strongly disagree. Seems to be not a lot of middle ground.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments all! I find it interesting that most people strongly agree or strongly disagree. Seems to be not a lot of middle ground.

Oh I’m in the middle! As I died inside along time ago due to these corporate clowns !
Be safe ! Going home every night is all that really matters!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From a company point of view and from a supervisor that has to deal with guys not doing their job I see his point. You give guys an inch they take a mile! Not saying you do but the potential is there so he will try to eliminate the possibility. It sucks I know but guys have ruined it in the past.

Top Bottom