Wondering about reliability of the 2001-2002 RMK 800s

kootenayguy

Reaction score
The title of this thread pretty much says it all- ive heard these are pretty good machines for a guy's first mountain sled- just wondering if they have much of a reputation for being on the right side of the tow rope.

thanks alot all!

Reaction score
I have an 01 and all I do is put money into repairs. I found that they are extremely hit and miss for quality. Couple I know have them and their run great and couple others do the same as me and are always fixing things.

My sleds issue is it has issues with cooling and eats pistons like there free

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
I had a 01 800 RMK and i should of kept it. I put on around 4000 miles and just put gas and oil and a couple sets of plugs. I've seen these sleds have engine troubles but it was usually from being improperly jeted. Run them a little fat and turnUp the oil a bit and they'll run forever... The tracks were a little weak in those years but that's all i had troubles with. Loved that sled it was tough too!!

sledfreak76

Reaction score
They are a good sled, except..... at about and around 4000 miles the pto end of the crank comes loose off the pin, and it dosnt seem to matter with care and easy riding. Here up in nw Montana, all Liberty 800s break, not if, when. Chassis, its a gen 2, speaks for itself, not a handling queen for sure, and the 800 dont like too float, the 700 does better, flotation and reliability. I built wedges with 700s, and thats a sled that works in the deep and gnarlies, its my opinion. I have had em all, I love and hate my dragon, so Id rather ride my wedge! If the gen 2 800 is a good deal, take her, but be prepared to do a big boy bearing the clutch end with a new case. Balance your clutch, keep your belts new and true, no divits. And keep your throttle off on hard landings to keep the torque wrap off the crank. It may last awhile and not leave ya in a pickle!

oh I forgot, the 2002 chassis (edge) is way better than the Gen 2.

Last edited:

pehmanndragon

Reaction score
My brother had a 02 and it was a army tank tuff as hell you could pretty much run anything over and it kept goin, but like sledfreak76 said don't float good in the pow pretty heavy sled, you better eat your wheaties that morning for breakfast.

Top Bottom