Wisco Pistons

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 king kat with nitrous and a pipe. I have to do a rebuild, and was wondering what pistons i should put into it? Should i stay OEM pistons or should i try wisco pistons? Any thoughts would be great.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id go with the wiseco, nothing but good things to say about mine, even though your not boring your sled, you can feel the differance with those

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put Wiseco's in my Doo 02 800x beginning of last year. I have about 400 km on them and its a completely different sled wish I had put them in a year earlier. Just make sure you warm the sled up before you really start to rip.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanx summitx was just going to say for those who dont give the sled a proper warm up wiseco pistons are a bad idea as they are famous for the FOUR corner score, otherwise awsome pistons and highly recommended.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always start my sled on the trailer before I gear up. Put my stuff on and by the time I am ready, it is warmed up and ready to rock. Zero problems and the grin factor has been huge over the stock pistons, two rings instead of the stock one, compression was over 140 lbs / cylinder after the rebuild.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been told not to run wiseco but it seems a lot of people have had good luck with them. I put a set of RK-Tech duel ringers in my sled and it seems more peppy than before but then again, its a fresh top end a person should notice a difference. I got them from mountain magic and they were a little cheaper than OEM.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I paid just under $500.00 for the Wiseco's (included wrist pins and needle bearings), a new thermostat and gasket kit. OEM was considerably higher.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure OEM is way more. $300/piston from ski-doo and thats just a piston, no bearings or wrist pin. The RK pistons came in at $520 for everything tax in.

jeff wills

Reaction score
I run a 04 800, lots of engine and other work done runs 175 lbs compression never a problem untill the end of last year dropped a retaining pin. rebuilt with wiseco and renickel plated my jugs got 8 hours last sat and 2 hours in on sun before it gave up going back to oem pistons they dont heat up like wiseco's do

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been told not to run wiseco but it seems a lot of people have had good luck with them.

All depends on how you warm them up. Like Deano670 said, they are famous for the 4 corner seizure for a reason..... They will not sustain the abuse like a stock piston on cold starts to immediate wide open throttle. If you warm them up ALWAYS they will be fine, but they will not last if you're a guy that starts it dead cold and runs it wide open off the trailer and off up the trail with no warm up. Its about the forging process and how they're made, they are not as stable as cast pistons so they will take a little longer to warm up, they are not as brittle as cast pistons though so you are not as likely to snap a skirt either.

jeff wills

Reaction score
warmed mine up good, was on the third poke of a long deep snow pull when it gernaded. I think they are a good piston but need more clearance than a cast engine builder said they just won't take 175 lbs compression in a mountain sled that has to break trail and spends long time on the throttle.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never had much luck with Wiseco's in a Nikasil bore. Worked great in a cast bore. Been running SPI's in a number of different sleds the last few years and they work great, and the price is right too. JMO :d

Adrenaline Vince

Reaction score
Ive installed several hundred wiesco pistons in various machines and never had a problem,make sure clearances are right,(not a problem with nickel) and of course good warm up. Usualy guys have problems from not warming up properly. I have seen the odd one where the locater pin falls out, but ive also seen on oem also.

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wiesco pistons are a forged aluminum , stock are cast , forged expand more so you really have to make sure your clearances are rite . I was running wiescos in my poo 700 they just didnt like w.o.t for sustaind amounts of time when breaking trail in the heavy wet snow on the coast . seized 2 sets before going to spi cast molly coated pistons , I have three seasons on them without a problem now .

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
beat the heck out of wisecos for over 5 years on probly 10 motors. nitrous...all the aftermarket junk i could throw at them and never once failed or yeiled low compression. i guess it helps having the best machiniest in town that only deals with wiseco do my machine work.

a forged piston has WAY less imperfections and is a way better product than a cast piston.

but this is always a uge debate so use what works for you.

it all boils down to the motor designer and the assembeler.

when i have one blow up for no apparent reason i will retract my statement. but all i have is a shelf full of reusable wiseco pistons that i have replaced just because.

powderpusher

Reaction score
rebuilt lots of engines over the last 5yrs and used nothing but wisco pistons never had any problems with any of my rebuilds and i drive the crap out of my toys

rmktime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there easily fixed with jb weld also :p ask powder pusher :p:p:

lol the good old day lol , hello powder

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
maxwell, what clearance are you running on the wisecos, i am running a pro x with 5 thou but the pro x rings seem to wear quick, i was thinking about a 6 thou and filing the next size rings for an 18 thou ring gap but wisecos have a way better ring, but have seen lots of seizures from anything less than 7 thou. u seem to have some good experience with a weisco so any help is appreciated. im using the 83mm pro x and see that i can get a 83mm in weisco. how about squish? im at 74 thou

Top Bottom