Winter Tire Help

Reaction score
Currently my trucks running 275/55/R20 Pirelli Scorpion ATR's, great in the summer but as the snow is coming now I would like somthing better.

Couple questions I have:

What does the 275 and the 55 represent?
Is there a different size that is a more common winter tire I can run as all my searching for 275/55/R20 Winter tires is very limted?.

Somthing with a bigger sidewall then the pirelli's would be better also.

Any help you guys can give me is much appreciated, thanks!.

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
275 mm section width
55 = 55% of section width is sidewall height = 151.25 mm
R20 Radial 20"

Welcome to Canada, Metric and Imperial all in the same sizing pattern......only in tires

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
go with a good all season tire. myself i am going with the bfg all terain tire

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what vehicle you running them on i got 20 on my 07 sierra new body style with cloud rider flaps and rub like a son of bitch....cant go any bigger then a 55...i hear they have a flap with a 5/8 set back to eliminate the rub....if not a sierra then just ignore me

magnet32

Reaction score
get rid of the 20's for winter.go to a 18'' rim way more choice's,rusty's right BFG all terain good winter tire.don't get new mud terain,snow good,hardpack or ice bad bad.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get rid of the 20's for winter.go to a 18'' rim way more choice's,rusty's right BFG all terain good winter tire.don't get new mud terain,snow good,hardpack or ice bad bad.

Yup, that's exaclty what I did whe I had my Dodge. 20's off for winter and 18's with BGF AT TA's. Awesome for winter.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put goodyear silent armors on my truck and they are very good on the snow and ice, i was very impressed by them, i run them on all 50 of my fleet trucks up here.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have TOYO Open Country G2 tires. They are strictly snow and ice tires. Theyare an E Load tire and so far they are great tires for winter . Not very aggresive but grip very well because they are a soft tire - good for ice.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NOKIAN VATIIVA. 285 70-17. The closest thing to a winter tire but still classified as a all season. The only tire that I travel back and forth to Revy with every year and up to Zama City.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys that are switching out to 18 are you running just the steel black rims or did you buy a whole new set of fancy rims...

Reaction score
you guys that are switching out to 18 are you running just the steel black rims or did you buy a whole new set of fancy rims...

Good question crow, I was just thinking about this myself.

What are costs like for the plain black rims?

Truck is an 06 F150 FX4 Supercrew.

Thanks for the replys:beer:

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of Ford steel rims in a private deal on the online bargin finder for $100 for the set . They are basic rims that look like my spare and I repainted them aluminum Tremclad and they look ok.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Factory rims in the the summer and "fancy" aftermarket chromed aluminum in the summer. I would never run aftermarket rims in the winter.

Top Bottom