Wind loading event.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A good wind loading event Tuesday night in the Elkford area resulting in lots of slab releases. The last avalanche came down after the Crossing Creek trail was groomed. A tricky debris pile to cross! Slab releases in Smith Basin and above Mear Lake were quite evident. The high wind through Tuesday night was a major event uncovering rocks and moving the snow around. Fracture propagation was common and remote triggers were happening. Sorry for the crappy picture but the ceiling was very low. Notice the sled tracks at the bottom of the picture..................this is what released the slab with about a 3-4' fracture at the crown. Not really evident in the picture (due to poor visibility) were the other slab releases above this one. It was tree and meadow riding for the rest of the day........

IMG_3989.jpg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure doesn't like much of a slope there that released? Maybe a picture thingy?

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doug! I can't believe how quick conditions changed. We were in there on Tuesday riding fresh groomed trail with no sign of anything covering the trail when we came out. There was the odd spot you could see where some old activity happened but did see lots of snowballs rolling down. Question.....I haven't been able to make my work schedule coincide around taking the ast course but have learned a few things about what conditions to watch for...when you see the snowballs rolling down in warmer weather is that a sign in itself to be cautious or just the temp change on it's own is enough to cause concern? I know we do have a couple hoar frost layers to be worried about as well.

Thanks all!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowballing is a sign of warm heavy snow on the top snowpack. I've seen cinnamon buns the size of vw bugs in the spring.
If snow pack is delicate then it's a warning.
Its what is under neath that matters.

kendoo

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack but just read on opinion 250 prince george fatalitioes on renshaw mt. some sledders missing any one else heard?

Top Bottom