Willys leaky tailings

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NELSON, B.C. — A local state of emergency has been declared in an area of southeast B.C. after a dam holding back mine tailings from an old lead-zinc mine began leaking.
The Regional District of Central Kootenay issued the declaration for the Nelson-Salmo area over concerns that part of the retaining wall for the old Hudson’s Bay mine tailing pond have been washed away by heavy rains.
Bill MacPherson of the regional district’s emergency operations centre says engineers are working on plans to shore up the dam.
He says the rain and melting snow have also pushed Kootenay Lake to it’s highest level in 40 years, caused some limited flooding, threatened a bridge, and forced the evacuation of at least one home.
MacPherson says two sandbagging staging areas have been set up for Kootenay residents whose property may be threatened by flooding.
Meanwhile, the B.C. River Forecast Centre says flood warnings remain in effect for the Shuswap, South Thompson and Stuart Rivers, and while Shuswap Lake should drop below flood stage by next week, the Stuart River northwest of Prince George will continue to rise for up to three more weeks.
© Copyright (c)

Read more: Leaking dam in southeast B.C. prompts state of emergency

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that thing blows Willy could be washed downstream all the way to Alberta. Then what are we gonna do??

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice, they used to race stock cars on the one across the road from this one.. I wonder how many people were leaded by the dust? I'm sure I got a pound or two of it.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or could always blaze a lefty, bitch about something,don't work and park some cars on the lawn......dealers choice. No pun intended..

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is the mining company not responsible for looking after this mess? I suppose they took what they needed out of the ground and then left the mess for BC to deal with :nono:. I don't know how to change the way our govenrment deals with these mining companies. Perhaps before they are even allowed to start mining they must establish a reclamation fund that is held till the end of their project then used to clean up their mess. This would eliminate the BS of the taxpayer paying after the mining company walks away :rant:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Why is the mining company not responsible for looking after this mess? I suppose they took what they needed out of the ground and then left the mess for BC to deal with :nono:. I don't know how to change the way our govenrment deals with these mining companies. Perhaps before they are even allowed to start mining they must establish a reclamation fund that is held till the end of their project then used to clean up their mess. This would eliminate the BS of the taxpayer paying after the mining company walks away :rant:

I don't know about this particular situation (as it is an older site) but the process today includes just what you have stated.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know about this particular situation (as it is an older site) but the process today includes just what you have stated.

And if another company took over the claim I believe they're still responsible, ie: Teck/Cominco reclaiming the old St. Eugene claim at Moyie.

Top Bottom