Will setting a sled on top your tailgate hurt it?

RazorSVT

Reaction score
Hey guys Im driving back to northern Ont next week with my 08 f350 and was wondering if i will hurt my tailgate if I rest the rear end of the sled on it while closed. I don't want to leave my tailgate down the whole way because i'm scared to get it full of rock chips etc as we all know how great Canadian hwys are in the winter. I have a 97 mach 1 136".

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope. Set it on the tailgate and you'll be fine.

sent from a phone

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I leave my tailgate down all the time when i have a sled in the back and there are no chips.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
other then potentially bending your tailgate, filling motor with gas if tank is full with gascock open with the needle and seats pop. Don't see a big deal. If your concerned about rock chips on your tailgate, you might as well park your truck for the winter. I've got rock chips on all 5 sides of my truck!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
other then potentially bending your tailgate, filling motor with gas if tank is full with gascock open with the needle and seats pop. Don't see a big deal. If your concerned about rock chips on your tailgate, you might as well park your truck for the winter. I've got rock chips on all 5 sides of my truck!

are you not supposed to be driving with the shinny side up. sounds like ya use all the road while sliding;)

RazorSVT

Reaction score
I leave my tailgate down all the time when i have a sled in the back and there are no chips.

Good to know thanks.

Thanks for the info.... I drive across canada every winter and seem to hit all kinda of conditions and have a chip free truck (besides the front bumper). lol I know it won't be like that forever but for now I do whatever I can to prevent that ch!t. I just didn't want the tailgate to be peppered if you know what I mean. Anyways I would rather travel with my tailgate up so thats kinda my concern, is it fine to just leave the sled perched on top (as in tailgate folded up). I've heard some people say "the constant weight and bouncing will f@ck up your hinges etc" so just wanted to see if people have done it for long distances and have had any problems.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine bent his tailgate with an old summit on a brand new dodge, i always just leave my tailgate down and have never gotten a chip.

Dragin

Reaction score
You do realize the latches that hold the tailgate shut aren't load rated at all and 1/2 of a 500 lbs sled is gonna beat the crap outta them. If rock chips bother scare you get longer mud flaps or one of those RV broom things.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's the same on the 08 F350, but the tailgate on my 09 F150 has a bit of a contour or "lip" near the top that seems to catch extra rocks when in down position, chipping the paint.

Find the right size large log or block that you can stand on its end to place under your track just in front of the tailgate (when it's up). Your track doesn't have to have its full weight on the log, but it can take more than half the track weight off your tailgate. Did this with my old 06 Tacoma when pulling a trailer (very short distances), it had pop-can metal for a tailgate.

Last edited:

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lay a piece of plywood from the box onto the tailgate when I have the sled in the back with tailgate down. Have an f-150 and hasnt bowed the tailgate at all.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So are rock chips why I see so many red and white plates with the sled all cocked up in the box all the time? I've always wondered that. Nobody I know seems to do that, they just leave the tailgate down with the sled on there.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RazorSVT; said:
I have a 97 mach 1 136".

I doubt a Mach Ton would bend the tailgate if you left it up, if it was a Yammie it may be a different story

Last edited:

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bent my 04 FX4 gate in 04 with my chunk of heavy steel 04 M1 that I purchased all in the same day (unloading it), them ford gates are paper thin ouch actually the entire boxes are light light light...

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to mention its hard on your sled rail when you hit our nice frost hieves

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the tailgate up once with my king cat, pain in the a$$ to put it up there as I had the spare tire in the box but no ill effects. Only did it the way there on the way home it was down. Always down now to, never any rock chips not worth the effort to put it up. I think either way can bend a cheap tailgate.

Depending how long the box and sled are, and how your loading the ideal solution is likely to remove the tailgate.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the tailgate up once with my king cat, pain in the a$$ to put it up there as I had the spare tire in the box but no ill effects. Only did it the way there on the way home it was down. Always down now to, never any rock chips not worth the effort to put it up. I think either way can bend a cheap tailgate.

Depending how long the box and sled are, and how your loading the ideal solution is likely to remove the tailgate.

Ok, nothing to see here folks; Cyle has spoken.................

flygti32

Reaction score
Why not get the tailgate of the truck covered in 3M paint protection film if people are worried about chipping? I know how well the stuff works on front ends, i've had it on my last 3 new vehicles. Why not on the rear.

Reaction score
I always load my sled with the tailgate down, plywood on the deck pulled out over the tailgate, but wrap the tailgate with stretch wrap and card board under it , don't have a problem with chips this way and have bent a tailgate before with tailgate up.

Top Bottom