Will my sled hold its own in the powder this year?

brandonorban

Reaction score
Yeah just trying to pass some time till the snow comes to stay (2 weeks). So anyways ive got a 02 zr 600 with a 121'' camoplast challenger 1.5'' track, and some clutching mods. and was wondering if ill be able to keep up with a yamaha nytro with a 121'' ripsaw 1.5'' and a polaris switchback 600 136'' running a 1.25'' ripsaw. I know theyll destroy me on the packed trails/lakes but will i be able to hold my own ditchbanging and deeper (1-2 foot ) powder. Ive also got a set of zr 500 gearing if you'll think that will help me.

Any input appreciated.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah just trying to pass some time till the snow comes to stay (2 weeks). So anyways ive got a 02 zr 600 with a 121'' camoplast challenger 1.5'' track, and some clutching mods. and was wondering if ill be able to keep up with a yamaha nytro with a 121'' ripsaw 1.5'' and a polaris switchback 600 136'' running a 1.25'' ripsaw. I know theyll destroy me on the packed trails/lakes but will i be able to hold my own ditchbanging and deeper (1-2 foot ) powder. Ive also got a set of zr 500 gearing if you'll think that will help me.

Any input appreciated.

With the short track in pow you need RPM or you will dig and sink, just my 2 cents from watching buddies with short 121's and 136's over the years! You should rock on a trail or a lake with a couple feet of snow... I'm afraid the deep MTN pow is out of your track length. Invest in a good shovel and start beefing up for the deep pow if that's your plan to ride the deep pow.... You'd do good on hero snow though, but that all depends on MTN riding conditions, usually spring when the snow has setup is good hero snow conditions!

brandonorban

Reaction score
Yeah im not really talking about mtn riding more ditchbanging, drift climbing, 1-2 foot powder runs, and maybe some trails. What would you say about gearing.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah im not really talking about mtn riding more ditchbanging, drift climbing, 1-2 foot powder runs, and maybe some trails. What would you say about gearing.

I wouldn't mess with the gearing on a 121 unless your unable to produce RPM, what's your CC size? oops yeah 600 cc you should have a tonne of power with such a short track. Your ok for ditch banging, however we did find 5-6 ft drifts out near pine lake last season that would work my 162 track lol

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ on mountain riding with 121 i been doing it since 02 and have had no problems in the powder i can,t put highest mark on wall that for sure
i rode down in silent pass gorman creek renshall and happy to sayi beat out a few long tracs and had good laugh about it .To me its all about the rider and
track speed

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ on mountain riding with 121 i been doing it since 02 and have had no problems in the powder i can,t put highest mark on wall that for sure
i rode down in silent pass gorman creek renshall and happy to sayi beat out a few long tracs and had good laugh about it .To me its all about the rider and
track speed

I would agree on the track speed, keep it spinning, stay on top and you will be fine. I have seen the 121, 136 guys work a lot harder on the steep and deep! I love silent Pass, some epic moments had there :) Bring on the snow!:tazz:<---- my snow dance to help out with the snow gods

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
121 2 inch tracks are a massive bunch of fun!!!!! I rode an old formula III with that track and had a blast!! It would go anywhere you wanted if you could run a track and get the rpm at 8300 and was so heavy it just mowed the trees down!!! Just a fun sled have a pic somewhere with skiis poking out of a tree well all you could see was the hoops!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran an '01 MXZ 800X with a 1-3/4" snocross track and it was a blast at home and in the mountains. except for those really deep days, it would eat a tank of fuel by noon.

I would find a gear chart for your sled to see what your theoretical top speed is, and gear more realisticly. for a 600 I would aim for a gearing setup around 90-100mph. had my 800 geared for 105 (stock was 127mph), had great bottom end for playing in the deep snow.

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
hey back when we started sleddin west a 136 was all we had and the more mature peeps were out there on 121's in their day. Now we can go anywhere,with the 159 - 174's but the days of the 136 were fun thats for sure.

Top Bottom