Will 8 tooth drivers fit on a 2016 t3 174?

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm running a set of Doo 8's on my 163 T3. The pitch is nearly identical if your comparing the 2 on a bench and haven't had any issues in 1200 miles with the 8's in there. Wish I could lower gearing a bit more I went from a 20-19 top. think I'll be able to compensate by throwing in a heavier secondary spring. No rubbing issues but hard to say if I gained anything as far as climbing up onto the snow better cause the attack angle is already better on the T3's with the extended chaincase. Nice to have a bigger radius for the track to turn around but them drivers sure hang down under there and if I happen to smack something with these most likely will bend the driveshaft again..... reason the swap happened in the first place.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing this as well. What's the t3 163 running for gearing?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will see a nice ten percent improvement on track speed from less resistance, did it a year ago on the t3 and noticed it right away

need a gearing change and left stock chain on

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock on the T3 163 is 21:51 with 112 chain. 174 is 19:49 with 110 chain. So I'm running a 19:51 already now and would like a bit lower gearing yet, don't think there are any lower options. That's why I was looking at clutching to compensate some now.

Good to hear you noticed gains going to the 8 tooth drivers Fred, I hadn't had mine out on any great snow yet when I bent the driveshaft and did the swap, so really had no before comparison. What are you running for gearing? and I assume this is on your 174 or is this a trade secret? Also are you the guy that was using a setup that eliminated the tensioner?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you change the computer to 8t drivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great info on DJs site on gearing, primary calibration, if you use the gearing calculator it will calibrate your gearing with new constants that the bigger drivers offer.. Mark the primary and see how far the belt prides up the shelves.. 2.5 ratio on NA sleds Seams to be popular, I run my turbo sleds at a 2.2 to 2.3 final ratio

i would of the top of my head think dropping a tooth on top sprocket for bigger size drivers would be fairly close

https://www.ibackshift.com/calculator

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Fred. Used it a few years ago but forgot he had that calculator. Useful link!

Top Bottom