Why Zac's

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Looking for avy training in Western Canada? Check out Zac's Tracs

For those that are considering avalanche training I would like to include a quick bit of info about our company.

Zac's Tracs is an award winning training organization. We are snowmobilers teaching snowmobilers for more than 10 years throughout Western Canada and the northern United States. Lori is a Professional Member of the Canadian Avalanche Association (CAA), past board of director with the CAA, SledSmart instructor with the Alberta Snowmobile Association and participant in many national and international training sessions over the last decade.
For more information on our company and to read comments from our students, please follow this link:
www.zacstracs.com

At Zac's our AST1 classroom sessions are just $175, no matter if the program is taught in Regina, Fort McMurray, Golden or Calgary. Our goal has always been to make avalanche training accessible and affordable.
In addition to the 2 required course manuals, our 8.5 hour theory sessions include a 40 page color workbook (exclusive to Zac's) and a post course package including rescue tips and summaries of the classroom exercises.
We display over $6000 in avalanche safety, rescue and backcountry survival equipment to enhance the classroom sessions and use a top of the line audio visual system suitable for any size group.

There is a youth rate of $100 for participants age 14-17 that attend with their parent.

Hands-on mountain field sessions are also $175. Bring a group of 6 or more to the field session to receive an per person that each of you can use in our new .

More than 1800 snowmobilers have completed their AST 1 with our company.

Zac's beacon skills are very strong. We regularly coach Avalanche Professionals how to get more out of the features and multiple search strategies of the old and new transceiver models on the market.
Confused at what type of gear to purchase? We have almost all the makes and models of beacons available for you to demo. Field test them before you buy.

If you would like to learn more, CLICK HERE to sign up for our free newsletters. Join us to stay in touch with avalanche safety throughout the season!

Click on the links below to find the dates and locations of our upcoming classes: Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC
(2 hours)
(3 hours)
(3 hours)
AST 1 Classroom Session (8.5 hours)
(8.5 hours)
(8 hours)
(8 hours)
(30 hours)

Should you have any questions or comments about our programs, feel free to contact Lori at 403-850-3042!

Last edited:

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WHY ZAC"S
beacause, its great education for the snowmobiler by snowmobilers, and i will help you ride alot safer. education never hurts anyone.

take the class and enjoy
giddyup

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More than 1800 snowmobilers have completed their AST 1 with our company.

ZacsTracs Snowmobilers teaching snowmobilers for more than 10 years.
Over 4000 students have participated in our programs!

WOW - with this many students Lori obviously knows what she is talking about and how to present it to sledders.

We take her classes every 2-3 years just to stay on top of it..

If you do not use it you lose it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Better to keep taking upgrader classes

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
contact lori and she will help you out. they are very good at trying to help people get the education out there.

giddyup

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there's a course in fort mc this yr?

Sorry but you missed the October 12 Fort McMurray AST1 Classroom

Best you can do for this season is
1 - Ashmont Alberta on December 11, 2010
----See website link to this Ashmont course at

2 - Further to go but Alberta Beach on December 12, 2010
----See website link to this Ashmont course at

3 - Or take the AST1 on Friday & Saturday nights and the field course on Sunday in the mountains at

--Valemount -- Class December 17 & 18 6:00 to 10:30pm and field on Sunday December 19

-- McBride - Terranacana Ranch - Class January 21 &22 -6:00 to 10:30pm - Field January 23

To register for any Avalanche Classes

Do Not forget you

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why Zacs? I can personally tell you many reasons.....
Lori went out of her way to put on a course in our city last winter when they didn't have the numbers they needed. When this class could have been canceled, Lori and Randy went ahead to teach the people that had signed up.

I really liked Lori's teaching style. She explains things in ways that makes you really understand. The slideshows and working within small groups made the learning very valuable.

Our field day was where it all came together, all the information that we had learned in class was put to good use out there in the snow!! Got to dig our snowpits and really study the snow.....the beacon exercises and scenarios at the end of the day were mind boggling. They set it up so that it was a real mock rescue, and you had to have the training from the classroom and that day put to the ultimate test.

I agree a refresher every 2 years is a good idea. Buy some old beacons and bury them on the mountain when the weather isn't cooperating to ride. Plan your own mock rescue where you can get everyone in your group to find the buried beacons. See who can dig them up the fastest....practice, practice, practice. And ALWAYS check the bulletins before you head out. Be observant on your ride, don't take anything for granted!!

whickey

Reaction score
Did the one in Red Deer yesterday. It was so cold I felt like I was in a avalanch so it made all the information more useable. Just Kidding. It was great. Lots of good information. I came right home and looked at the avy bulletin and knew what they were talking about. Before I was just taking a shot in the dark. Well worth it. Best info a got was if one person is unsure then it is a group decision not to go. Live to ride another day.

Learned all about wind slabs and persistant slabs it was great.

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Did the one in Red Deer yesterday. It was so cold I felt like I was in a avalanch so it made all the information more useable. Just Kidding. It was great. Lots of good information. I came right home and looked at the avy bulletin and knew what they were talking about. Before I was just taking a shot in the dark. Well worth it. Best info a got was if one person is unsure then it is a group decision not to go. Live to ride another day.

Learned all about wind slabs and persistant slabs it was great.

:confused: Pretty amazing that the fanciest meeting space that we used all season long couldn't seem to get the room to a comfortable temperature.

Thanks for keeping your humor. Lucky we all needed a few jumping jacks to get ready for the sled season anyhow! ;)

northernguy

Reaction score
Just finished the coarse today in vale GREAT COURSE a must have for any sledder in the mountains.Lori does a great job instructing the class and keeps it interesting, the field training is great changed our outlook and way of thinking when we head up the hill.
Highly recomend the course

BrownEyes420

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I finished the AST 1 course on Saturday at Vale, it was totally awesome!! It's pretty amazing how much this course will open your eyes to the hazards out there, it's pretty scary just hearing about avy's in the areas you ride. Lori makes the learning really fun and interesting and at the same time she makes you realize how serious this stuff is and how important it is to recognize the problem areas, to have the gear and know how to use it! I can't wait for AST 2. Thanks ZACTRACS!!!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad you took the course BrownEyes....it's scary to think what a person thought they knew before the course, it just opens your eyes up to so many things. I mean the mountains will always be there.....the trick is to make sure you are too!! :d:d:d:d

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
took the classroom already now just need to match up my time with a field course... Lori is awesome and I recommend Zacs to everyone

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been a few years since we took the course Excellent course & very well schooled. Great job Lori! Make this a priority before riding the hills. Money well spent for the knowledge gained. Fatdaddy :beer:

jimxp

Reaction score
If have never taken an avy course.... even if you have i couldnt imagine better people to teach then lori and randy!! These two have alot to offer. Ride smart ride safe take the time to get educated!!! zacs tracs rocks!!

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Thanks for all the great comments! They made Randy blush!!! :p

So we have a few AST1 classes left for this season.

Dawson Creek/Tumbler Ridge - Jan 29-31
Grande Prairie - Feb 2-3 (evenings) and Feb 5-6 (field sessions)
Edmonton - Feb 12
Red Deer - Feb 13
Calgary - Feb 19
McBride - Feb 25

We are still working out the dates for the last few field sessions...

188.jpg

Last edited:

Pillowydrops

Reaction score
Vancouver, BC (Christina Lake this Winter)
Thanks for all the great comments! They made Randy blush!!! :p

So we have a few AST1 classes left for this season.

Dawson Creek/Tumbler Ridge - Jan 29-31
Grande Prairie - Feb 2-3 (evenings) and Feb 5-6 (field sessions)
Edmonton - Feb 12
Red Deer - Feb 13
Calgary - Feb 16-17 (evenings)
McBride - Feb 25

We are still working out the dates for the last few field sessions...

188.jpg

I'll be in Fernie, but may pop down to calgary for those 2 evening sessions if there's a field session that can work out as well!

Just post up when you know the dates for the field session and hopefully I can join you guys. The feedback from the course sounds great.

F/A

Reaction score
Top notch instructors and make the course fun. Taken the AST 1 for the second time and would recommend it for everyone. Learn even more the second time around. Thanx alot Lori and Randy

Top Bottom