Who uses a meat smoker and what kind of recipies do you use?

poppajon

Reaction score
I've been handed down the art of meat smoking (jerky, salmon, corned meat etc) from my dad and was wondering who out there does the same. I've com across some great recipes, made a few on my own and experimented with some of the store bought mixes. After being to Montreal this Christmas and having a famous smoked meat sandwich, I thought.....man, I can do that, but its gonna be deer!

Last edited:

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son and I are into it. Great pastime and a real stress reliever. I started out with GOSM smoker (gas) and now are using a Cookshack Amerique. Stainless steel insulated and a very nice unit. Pricey but works awesome. Really into Ribs and that sort of thing. Have made my own rib rub and BBQ sauce so far. I have close friends that I get to critique us after a big smoke. Want to do up some fish in the near future and some cheese. Cheese is a little tricky as you need cold plates to keep temperature down so it doesn't melt. A great forum to get rubs and recipes is smokingmeatforum.com

Tons of knowledge and some great recipes. Lets see some pics of your rig and some smoked goodies. BBQ is huge in the states...too bad they never had BBQ competitions here in Alberta...I'd be in....

Attachments

• PICT0450.JPG
    PICT0450.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 176
  • PICT0445.JPG
    PICT0445.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

poppajon

Reaction score
Awesome! We've done alot of fish. Salmon mainly, but have done whitefish, greyling and char. I'll get some pics when the smoked meat goes in. I do alot of jerky, everyone seems to enjoy it, but noone understands the time it takes! Your ribs look amazing!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You better save some for me when i get out of the bush jonny. We should try smoking some black sea bass.

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hungry. Those are good looking ribs. I hav never smoked meat but would love to get into it. What's a good setup to start out on?

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love it, its kinda a dying art. Dosen't seem to be as many people doing it anymore. I do fish, sausage and hams, bacon, loins, even did oysters one time, and piles of jerky, deer, moose, elk, goose and duck. after hunting season the smoker is loaded at least once a week. always have jerky on hand.
i converted a old metal fridge, single burner electric element on a temp controller and a cast iron fry pan for chips. most of the material to build it i got off kijiji, fridge, hot plate, expanded mess.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The people at CRT refridgeration on 170th in edmonton have a ton of supplies and knowledge about smoking stuff. I sent my dad there to a sausage making course as a christmas present last year and he learned a lot. If you think you know everything there is to know about making great sausage, talk to those people.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hungry. Those are good looking ribs. I hav never smoked meat but would love to get into it. What's a good setup to start out on?

The smoker in the picture is a GOSM (Great Outdoorsman Smokey Mountian) gas (propane) owereed smoker, Its a lttle hard on gas but that be over come. You can pick on of them up at Walmart. Great Canadian BBQ Compnay has all sorts of them as well.

Last edited:

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the tail pipe of a cummins diesel on high idle haha jk

me and my dad use a old fridge leave everything in side just cut a hole in the bottom and put a little propane burner in the hole and a plate with what ever wood chips you want to use..... you cant get much more redneck then that lol:beer:

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a Traeger smoker this past spring and love it. Roasts, jerky, chicken, pork loin, steak, wings and of course bacon explosion. Works great and never had a bad meal off of one.

Top Bottom