Who makes the best 2 up? Can Am or Polaris?

sith989

Reaction score
I have a handicapped daughter and I do not or can not go by trial and error on my purchase. I used to race but them days are gone but I still like to go fast. I want the most dependable maker. Is the new 08 can am's visco lok much improved? I've been looking for months so I know both machines but I know know one that owns either. Price aside, which is best? Which has the best ride for 2 ? Thanks for any info........

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well my dad is 74 and has been heavy into quads since the first trike came out.He rides a lot with a group, of older couples and friends.The older couples mostly double, and 2 passenger comfort and reliability are esential.There are at least three of them with Can-ams and none with Polaris' two ups.This itself tells me a lot.I'm also considering getting rid of my side by side and getting a Quad and a two up is on my list.I really like my dads and so far it has been very good to him,did I mention he bought a 2005 Arctic Cat two up and within three months he traded it off and bought a Can-Am.Polaris is comfortable and reliable but it is heavier and there is not much protecting the plastic front end.With that said I myself would go with the can-am.
Boy am I going to take a beating for this post!
Single rider,It would be a toss up between the Grizz and Brute Frorce!
catmando!

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
No Beating 'Catmando'..... Good wise words, Tell it the way it is. 'Sith989' lookin for good info & You give some.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Well my dad is 74 and has been heavy into quads since the first trike came out.He rides a lot with a group, of older couples and friends.The older couples mostly double, and 2 passenger comfort and reliability are esential.There are at least three of them with Can-ams and none with Polaris' two ups.This itself tells me a lot.I'm also considering getting rid of my side by side and getting a Quad and a two up is on my list.I really like my dads and so far it has been very good to him,did I mention he bought a 2005 Arctic Cat two up and within three months he traded it off and bought a Can-Am.Polaris is comfortable and reliable but it is heavier and there is not much protecting the plastic front end.With that said I myself would go with the can-am.
Boy am I going to take a beating for this post!
Single rider,It would be a toss up between the Grizz and Brute Frorce!
catmando!

OMG... NOW WE JUST GOTTA GET YOU TALKIN' SKI-DOO... BESIDES, YOU'RE SLOWLY TURNING YOUR KAT INTO ONE ANYWAY -- HEY, I'VE GOT SKI-DOO DECALS YOU COULD PUT ON THE K-K-K-K-K-KKAAT........ LOL

sith989

Reaction score
The new 08 Polaris x2 touring has a seat like the Can Am. Softer springs according to the dealer. I'm now 51 and I still can ride with the best of em and have a blast at it. They updated the visco lok, I just hope it's better. Thanks guys !

Reaction score
The new 08 Polaris x2 touring has a seat like the Can Am. Softer springs according to the dealer. I'm now 51 and I still can ride with the best of em and have a blast at it. They updated the visco lok, I just hope it's better. Thanks guys !

im leanin towards the 08 polaris x2, it has more foam on its seat, better handle grips that r easier to grip, it does have softer suspension. it has more holding space, u can get better foot rests if your daugther is short, it has all the things u need. im for the Polaris

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ride on the Polaris cannot be beat, but the Can Am comes in a distant second in that department. If your daughter is logging lots of hours the Polaris is the way to go.

If you are logging lots of hours without you daughter than you want the Cam Am. The power of the 800 is in a class of it's own.

The visoco lok has been improved over eariler models, but will never match the AWD of the Polaris. Polaris gave up the rights to be the sole user of visco loks in ATVs years ago. It works, just not as well as AWD.

If you do your own maintenance the Polaris is easier to work on. The Can Am has a superior warrenty, if your dealer will get you the warrenty when it is needed. Comparibly the parts for Can AM cost more.

The frame on the Polaris is much stronger, but much heavier. The Can Am frame is modular, but vulenarable to to impact damage from rocks and stumps.

Both machines are very well serviced from the OEM and aftermarket side with accessories that fit and look good.

Both are too heavy, IMO.

Both have a long list is things that can and should have been corrected on them by now, but haven't. Both also have a list strengths that that make them stand out and have made all manufactures step up to the plate with innovations.

The seats and ergonomics are quite different on both models. I put 3000 miles a year on my quad, so if I were in your position I would be choosing the one that is most comfortable for me.

One other factor is dealer service (not sales) support, knowledge and training. If you are not near a good dealer you will not be happy with your purchase and that goes for any make out there. More times than not, if you look at what the most common make you see in the area you live, you can assume that is likely the best dealer in your area.

Both machines are equally good. You won't good wrong with either one. The answer to your question (Which is best?) is best answered by you: Which is most comfortable to sit on for longer periods on time and which dealer do you have the most confidence in.

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the above....you will love either machine. Sit on them, test ride (if possible), are you nearer a Can-Am or Polaris dealer? Personally I liked the Can-Am better.....but, Polaris make good machines as well.

The Can-Am does have it passenger seat ahead of the rear axle so "should" make for a smoother passenger ride.

Which one do you like the looks of?

After all that...go with your gut feeling, that's usually right!

Lanko

Reaction score
I purchased a 2007 Polaris 800 X2 this past September and I love it, I've only put on about 200 miles, but it has been great so far. I am an avid snowmobiler but thought I should get into the mud a little more, so I bought the Polaris. The main reason I bought the two up is that I am a big guy 6'5" and 220 lbs and wanted to be able to take my kids and wife for rides so this would allow me the most leg room. I was very torn between buying the Polaris or the Can-am, I had ridden my brother's Sportsman 500 and really liked it, and have also ridden the Can-am 650 2-up and loved it. I'll be honest I really wanted the Can-am but it came down to price and dealership.
The Polaris came to $10,400 for the deluxe version(chrome rims,factory installed winch etc.) and a snowplow the best I could do for a 650 Can-am Max XT was 13,700 with no snowplow, this was also a 2008 not 2007 like the Polaris. I also have and great rapport with my Polaris dealership I have bought 3 new sleds from them and they have been excellent with me. Anyway, whichever one you pick I am sure you will not be dissapointed. I have no regrets with the Polaris and I am sure I would have been just as happy with a Can-am.

GRD

Reaction score
I purchased a 2007 Polaris 800 X2 this past September and I love it, I've only put on about 200 miles, but it has been great so far. I am an avid snowmobiler but thought I should get into the mud a little more, so I bought the Polaris. The main reason I bought the two up is that I am a big guy 6'5" and 220 lbs and wanted to be able to take my kids and wife for rides so this would allow me the most leg room. I was very torn between buying the Polaris or the Can-am, I had ridden my brother's Sportsman 500 and really liked it, and have also ridden the Can-am 650 2-up and loved it. I'll be honest I really wanted the Can-am but it came down to price and dealership.
The Polaris came to $10,400 for the deluxe version(chrome rims,factory installed winch etc.) and a snowplow the best I could do for a 650 Can-am Max XT was 13,700 with no snowplow, this was also a 2008 not 2007 like the Polaris. I also have and great rapport with my Polaris dealership I have bought 3 new sleds from them and they have been excellent with me. Anyway, whichever one you pick I am sure you will not be dissapointed. I have no regrets with the Polaris and I am sure I would have been just as happy with a Can-am.

Well worded... Good information...

Top Bottom