Who ice races their quad?

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I'm already dreading the cold a** winter and was thinking of occupying the winter months ice racing. Does anyone here do it?

I'm just looking for a bit of information on how to get started, bike set up, tire choice. type of screws and pattern. I'm looking to pick up a set of tires and screws soon. Any info is appreciated!

mrsnowman

Reaction score
go to the AEIRA site there is info there and a few guys selling theres. i raced bikes in the endurance series and it is alot of fun always looking for riders though

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried that site but their forum hasn't worked for some time now.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weve raced the series before, it's alot of fun and great for learning skills that transfer to the dirt.....

But very expensive racing...tires, motors and if you run the num bum then you need ights. Although now they have a new class "the Red Eye" you can just run in the daylight hours...

Trvia:....traction effort on dirt 65 to 75 %
traction effort on ice 90%

We used cheng shin tires on the front and Kenda Claws on the rear.

We found the Snowman races with the AOTMX to be more fun and easier on machinery....oh and you dont need a transpoder....yet....although I think there heading that way as well.

Dont let me discourage you, ice racing is a blast ....just be prepared...three sets of tires and expect to go thorugh atleast one motor per season.....:eek:

Attachments

• 31-24.jpg
    31-24.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 52

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i bout my quad it came with a set of studded tires. I def want to try it out lol. With the AOTMX dont you have to be over 30?

quad_skillz

Reaction score
i have raced the numb bum and it was pretty awesome and that was my first ice racing experince there is also ice oval try secondgearclub.com i have watched this series for the past three years and i think i am going to race it this year

svendom

Reaction score
I run the short track CMA Oval for the last three years.
it can get pricely but dam is it fun.

Fire any questions you have over ill answer them.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is a pic of me, in my last year of racing on another team(6yrs total, stopped in 2001). I was with Riverside Honda for 5 yrs prior. 4 on bikes, and 1 on a quad.

I have 4 studded tires on Purple Banshee rims for sale soon. I'll try to post a pic of them this weekend. They have always been wrapped in carpet, for loading, and unloading. And they have only ever seen the ice.

Attachments

• DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 58

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the Banshee Rims that have been studded, and I will take any serious offer.

Attachments

• DSCN0750.jpg
    DSCN0750.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 53

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weve raced the series before, it's alot of fun and great for learning skills that transfer to the dirt.....

But very expensive racing...tires, motors and if you run the num bum then you need ights. Although now they have a new class "the Red Eye" you can just run in the daylight hours...

Trvia:....traction effort on dirt 65 to 75 %
traction effort on ice 90%

We used cheng shin tires on the front and Kenda Claws on the rear.

We found the Snowman races with the AOTMX to be more fun and easier on machinery....oh and you dont need a transpoder....yet....although I think there heading that way as well.

Dont let me discourage you, ice racing is a blast ....just be prepared...three sets of tires and expect to go thorugh atleast one motor per season.....:eek:

IHR - What's the deal with the motors (I'm assuming they don't like the cold)? Can you shroud the rads and the motor to keep it warmer? Do they come with t-stats, if not can you install one? Just curious as to why it is so hard on motors.

HONDA310R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IHR - What's the deal with the motors (I'm assuming they don't like the cold)? Can you shroud the rads and the motor to keep it warmer? Do they come with t-stats, if not can you install one? Just curious as to why it is so hard on motors.

its flat out racing for 24hr straight i dont care what motor you have ill be done after the numb bumb!!! and the others are i believe a straight 6hrs

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its flat out racing for 24hr straight i dont care what motor you have ill be done after the numb bumb!!! and the others are i believe a straight 6hrs

Gotcha - thought it was just a standard "20" lap race type deal. Yeah WFO for that long will require replacing something.... :D

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Take your truck hook up a trailer with the max amount of weight it can haul, then add a liitle more and drive it up hill for six hours stopping only to fill up for gas and switch drivers....now try that in a 24 hour race....It's just works them really hard, then throw in the ice build up on the rad and motor, the added weight of all the snow and Ice....well it just takes it's toll on components ...and oh it dosent mater what brand you ride....they all wear out...

Stillrockingabanshee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my dad has a buddy who ice races his banshee, he got the turf tamer tires brand new, and studed every inch of the small threads, same with the front, he also did the wheel flip on his stock front end for more stability, he has the guard at the back as well, im not sure if hes a member here, i also really want to get into ice racing as well, looks really fun

Top Bottom