Who has a jack shaft tool to rent or borrow?

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my carbs out to be cleaned and the jet to checked over and apparently removing the seconday and jackshaft will make this waaaayyy easier. Just wondering if there was a way of removing the chain gear without the tool or if anyone had one I could use for a day.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why not change the chain oil and check chain and gears. real easy and you won't need to buy, rent or use special tools, may cost 12.00 for oil. busted chain is a real beotch.

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why not change the chain oil and check chain and gears. real easy and you won't need to buy, rent or use special tools, may cost 12.00 for oil. busted chain is a real beotch.

This just goes to show how much I know about sleds. I may as well dive in there as well I guess. Thanks lol.

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my carbs out to be cleaned and the jet to checked over and apparently removing the seconday and jackshaft will make this waaaayyy easier. Just wondering if there was a way of removing the chain gear without the tool or if anyone had one I could use for a day.

Ya you dont need the tool. just loosen off the chain a bit and then take out the bolt and then grab a 1/2" 3/8drive socket and at least a 8" extension and a 1" 1/2drive deep socket. Slide the 1" socket over the 3/8"drive extension and then put the 1/2" socket on the end of the extension. This will accomplish the same thing the tool does. Take a hammer and tap the jack shaft out with 1/2" socket and it should slide inside the top gear and hold everything in place. When u put the shaft back in you will need two people. The 1" socket is too keep pressure on the gear as some one slides the shaft back in and turns it slowly until it lines up with the gear again. sorry kinda hard to explain without showing you. But like imdoo'n said if you haven't changed ur chaincase oil yet prob a good idea :)

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas! Well it's a good thing I decided to pull the jack shaft....the upper chain case gear bolt was only on by 3 or 4 threads:eek: That may have messed something up I'm sure. I'll tell you something else, These Xp's are a pain in the arse to work on.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
once you do it a couple times you will re-align everything so you can pull the carbs with the secondary on, do it all the time. The way i pull the secondary is just get a 8" extension with a 1/2" drive socket on it and slip it right top gear hole. leave the bolt on as when you put it back in it acts like a guide ofr your socket/driveshaft

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
once you do it a couple times you will re-align everything so you can pull the carbs with the secondary on, do it all the time. The way i pull the secondary is just get a 8" extension with a 1/2" drive socket on it and slip it right top gear hole. leave the bolt on as when you put it back in it acts like a guide ofr your socket/driveshaft

pull the carbs with it on?!?! shoot, I have it out and still can't figure out how the air box comes off.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just another heads up, check for oily or grease on the backside of primary clutch, and do it often, if it,s greasy pull the primary clutch and inspect for grease on driveshaft bearing, don't even ride the sled if it is greasy until you get it looked at may save you fro motor failure.:beer:

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just another heads up, check for oily or grease on the backside of primary clutch, and do it often, if it,s greasy pull the primary clutch and inspect for grease on driveshaft bearing, don't even ride the sled if it is greasy until you get it looked at may save you fro motor failure.:beer:

Thanks for the heads up. Well I have the carbs out now and I'm about to get in there and give them a good cleaning. Hopefully that is my high idle problem. I will also be doing a leak test while I'm in there. Just wondering if anyone has any other possible reasons my sled is idling high?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Well I have the carbs out now and I'm about to get in there and give them a good cleaning. Hopefully that is my high idle problem. I will also be doing a leak test while I'm in there. Just wondering if anyone has any other possible reasons my sled is idling high?

While you have the carbs off take the intake boots off the engine and inspect them for cracks. A cracked boot will cause a high idle because it's drawing in air.

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You must be referring to BRP's crank bearing seal issues I just found out. I hope this won't become a problem in the near future.

Manatee

Reaction score
When my 08 was idling high, it was just a matter of pulling the carbs and cleaning them pilot jets. I didn't have the tool so I pulled the chain case again even though the oil had about 100 miles on it. The problem with pulling the chain case apart over and over again is that the back of my chain case is stripping where the bolts go in from the front. I have 2 now that I had to put in nuts and bolts cause the threads were stripped. It's a real pain in the butt.

Top Bottom