White smoke out my exhaust

schickdecision

Reaction score
I recently had my 750 Brute force stall out on me while playing in some mud puddles by my house. I couldn't get it started until I had it boosted back at the truck. I changed the oil and ran it through 2 cycles of new oil before I changed the filter and put the new synthetic oil in. Now, it starts no problem and runs good with no sputter and no creamy color to the oil. What worries me is when I rev the engine up, the exhaust becomes a thick white color and smells like burning oil. Should I be worried that I blew a head gasket or is it just condensation in the pistons that will eventually go away?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recently had my 750 Brute force stall out on me while playing in some mud puddles by my house. I couldn't get it started until I had it boosted back at the truck. I changed the oil and ran it through 2 cycles of new oil before I changed the filter and put the new synthetic oil in. Now, it starts no problem and runs good with no sputter and no creamy color to the oil. What worries me is when I rev the engine up, the exhaust becomes a thick white color and smells like burning oil. Should I be worried that I blew a head gasket or is it just condensation in the pistons that will eventually go away?

that cann't be a good thing. :eek::eek:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it likely that coolant is getting into the combustion chamber without contaminating the oil? head gasket or cracked head? last time I saw that was on a stock car engine that had run for about 3 minutes then sounded like a wad of barbed wire was run through it......didn't work so good after that...

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it likely that coolant is getting into the combustion chamber without contaminating the oil? head gasket or cracked head? last time I saw that was on a stock car engine that had run for about 3 minutes then sounded like a wad of barbed wire was run through it......didn't work so good after that...

could be either. a head gasket would be my first guess.

schickdecision

Reaction score
I heard that if it was coolant, it would give off a sweet smell. Right now it smells like burnt oil. I think I am going to take it into the dealer but if I could fix it myself with not too much time and effort, I would.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca

How long have you run it while it smokes? lots of times when its the head gasket or a cracked head you will see lots of exess pressure in the water system when its still cold. I'm not proud of the fact by any means but I have quite a bit of experience with drowning quads. I find that if you don't properly drain the exhaust you'll see quite a bit of white smoke for awhile when the engine reaches temp. Did you check the air box or filter for wet? Another thing that I do after a drowning is disconnect the crank case breather hose from the intake for a good while. Any water thats left in the crank case will steam off and you don't want the steam in the airbox. Good Luck :beer:

schickdecision

Reaction score
I didn't try to drain the exhaust or the crank case but I will give it a try. I hoped that it would just stop steaming but I don't want to take the chance of riding it into the bush and have to be pulled out again. The only other way I guest I could tell is to run it for a while and check the coolant tank to see if it is dropping. It doesn't smoke until I rev it up and that seems weird to me. Thanks for your help!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't try to drain the exhaust or the crank case but I will give it a try. I hoped that it would just stop steaming but I don't want to take the chance of riding it into the bush and have to be pulled out again. The only other way I guest I could tell is to run it for a while and check the coolant tank to see if it is dropping. It doesn't smoke until I rev it up and that seems weird to me. Thanks for your help!

more info, now its comin' out. Like summiteer said if you had a blown head gasket or craked head your cooling system would pressure up. Good one summiteer. yeah check your intake for water. and yeah you should've pulled your exhaust and drained it. :nono:

schickdecision

Reaction score
As if you didn't figure it out by now, this is a first for me. So is there a drain plug on the exhaust or do i have to take it totally off? The best bet is for me to find a shop manual I guess.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As if you didn't figure it out by now, this is a first for me. So is there a drain plug on the exhaust or do i have to take it totally off? The best bet is for me to find a shop manual I guess.

that would be a good start. I don't think that there is a drain on the exhaust so you guessed it, off it comes

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
A good way to drain the exhaust is to stand it up on its rear end. This is the first thing you want to do before pulling the spark plug and turning over the engine after a swamping.

PS I'll let Summiteer take any credit where credit ain't do. He needs it. LMFAO!!!

I'll try and post a vid of the white smoke show after an attempted beaver dam crossing by a Grizzly..lol

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
more info, now its comin' out. Like summiteer said if you had a blown head gasket or craked head your cooling system would pressure up. Good one summiteer. yeah check your intake for water. and yeah you should've pulled your exhaust and drained it. :nono:

sumX54 said that.

schickdecision

Reaction score
Opened my air box to find 250 ml of creamy oil down and around the air intake. Cleaned it out and the thing runs awesome. Thanks all you guys. I never would have checked that otherwise.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Opened my air box to find 250 ml of creamy oil down and around the air intake. Cleaned it out and the thing runs awesome. Thanks all you guys. I never would have checked that otherwise.

Thats why its important to always disconnect the crank case vent from the airbox right after being drowned. Glad your up and running again. Cheerz :beer:

Top Bottom