white smoke from exhaust

kawkaw

Reaction score
My 1989 Kawasaki bayou is blowing white smoke out of the exhaust and backfires. I have changed the oil and cleaned the carbon. Could this mean that I need to change the rings?

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My 1989coffee Kawasaki bayou is blowing white smoke out of the exhaust and backfires. I have changed the oil and cleaned the carbon. Could this mean that I need to change the rings?

white smoke generally is a sign of water or coolant getting in, might be time for a headgasket.

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is coolant....it will be pretty thick obvious white smoke. If you have some bad rings, valve guides, etc. and are getting oil into the cylinder, than it will be a bluish white haze. Lots of people get the two confused. And more often then not, this will go away as the engine heats up. Or untill you really have it pinned.

BTW....Not thinking a 1989 Bayou is a water cooled motor. Or ANY year Bayou for that matter. Here are all the specs for a 300
http://www.killeratv.com/TechandSpecPages/tech_and_spec_kawasaki_bayou_300.htm

My best guess is rings or valve guides.

Last edited:

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is coolant....it will be pretty thick obvious white smoke. If you have some bad rings, valve guides, etc. and are getting oil into the cylinder, than it will be a bluish white haze. Lots of people get the two confused. And more often then not, this will go away as the engine heats up. Or untill you really have it pinned.

BTW....Not thinking a 1989 Bayou is a water cooled motor. Or ANY year Bayou for that matter. Here are all the specs for a 300
Tech and spec kawasaki bayou 300

My best guess is rings or valve guides.

yup, what he said! haha

kawkaw

Reaction score
My 1989 Kawasaki bayou is blowing white smoke out of the exhaust and backfires. I have changed the oil and cleaned the carbon. Could this mean that I need to change the rings?
I ran it today for about 30you minutes and the smoke wasn't as great. It wasn't blueish. The smoke is just white and doesn't have a sweet smell. Almost smells like burning oil. I put the exact amount of oil in it but should I drain a little? I have to been thinking about changing the rings on it too. Thanks to all for your help

vinson4ever

Reaction score
My first quad was a 96 Bayou 400. Had to do the head gasket in it. Same issues that your having. Bought it used, previous owner probably got it to hot. There's not much of a head gasket in those machines, doesn't take much to blow them. Good luck

Top Bottom