Which octane to use?

1badhusky

Reaction score
Just reading my owner's manual and note it recommends that I do not use a higher octane fuel than 87 in my 09 m1000.

I've got a y-pipe, can, bdx intake and a pcv w/ a custom tune coming - wondering if I should use a higher octane or not?

Any advice?

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just reading my owner's manual and note it recommends that I do not use a higher octane fuel than 87 in my 09 m1000.

I've got a y-pipe, can, bdx intake and a pcv w/ a custom tune coming - wondering if I should use a higher octane or not?

Any advice?

91 or higher..

matm8snopro

Reaction score

Any advice?

I wondered the same thing, I run an 09 m8 with an aftermarket y-pipe, intake and can. I called the boys at speedwerx and asked them, 91 octane, don't risk using lower quality fuel!!

1badhusky

Reaction score
Yeah, I typically put the good stuff in all my toys - why risk anything for an extra dollar, so was surprised to see in the owners manual it said best performance w/ 87.

Tuner at Racin' Station who made my custom maps said 87 up high, 91 down low. Guess that makes sense and I'll go w/ that. Not sure why more octane would ever be bad? Runs too hot maybe?

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
High octane is terrible if your motor can't burn it. Octane is the resistance to burning, making it good if your experiencing pre-ignition or running really high compression. and since cat have the lowest compression of any sled out there from factory, you can run 87 unlike other brands. But you won't notice power loss running 91.

As for people thinking 91 is a better quality fuel? If it comes from a gas station, it's 87 with a 91 sticker. No such thing as good fuel anymore unless your buying race fuel.

1badhusky

Reaction score
As for people thinking 91 is a better quality fuel? If it comes from a gas station, it's 87 with a 91 sticker. No such thing as good fuel anymore unless your buying race fuel.

You sure about that...i think that's fairly well-regulated.

Bulldog Racing

Reaction score
Think about this guys. When you pull up to the pumps, there is one hose for all 3 grades of fuel available. You press the GOLD button, but how much BRONZE has to come out of the lines from the tanks to the pumps before the GOLD gets there. Maybe if you're the 3rd sled to get filled, you wind up with the good stuff. If you want to make sure you have good fuel, mix a little race gas and be safe. We all have riduculous amounts of money sunk into these things, why not spend a little extra and make sure you have good gas. If you THINK you need octane from the mods you have, you probably DO.:d:d:rolleyes:

oly

Reaction score
I had all that done to my 08 M1000 as well. When I took it all apart to upgrade to a turbo package it was revealed that my pistons had some sign of dentination on them as well as alittle melting was happining. I was running straight reg gas and obviously should have been running better fuel. So by seeing that problem I would at least use premium would be my guess.

1badhusky

Reaction score
So I guess my question is why would AC say NOT to run premium in a stock sled? What harm can premium do?

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I guess my question is why would AC say NOT to run premium in a stock sled? What harm can premium do?

I run Prem in my M1000 and M8 they seem to have better throttle response with the good stuff :)

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why more octane would ever be bad? Runs too hot maybe?

Actually burns slower and colder. Octane is simply a fuels ability to resist detonation. They do that by making it burn slower. It's not "the good stuff" as some have stated. No better or worse...just designed to resist detonation. As a general guideline you would need higher compression before you need higher octane. Certainly not a rule, as there are many other factors involved in the engine design. Bottom line...if you don't need it why use it. My M7 actually ran like crap on 91 octane before I put a higher compression head on it and added some timing. :d

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually burns slower and colder. Octane is simply a fuels ability to resist detonation. They do that by making it burn slower. It's not "the good stuff" as some have stated. No better or worse...just designed to resist detonation. As a general guideline you would need higher compression before you need higher octane. Certainly not a rule, as there are many other factors involved in the engine design. Bottom line...if you don't need it why use it. My M7 actually ran like crap on 91 octane before I put a higher compression head on it and added some timing. :d

Truly spoken words here! Engine design is a huge factor, I'm sure that's why my 1000 likes the 91... its runs good on 87 too, but seems to function better on 91. I tried a tank 0f 94 and didn't notice a difference.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Bull Dog Racing has a good point about mixing in racing gas. If I have 15 litres of reg how much racing would you need to bring it up to premium level ? Thanks

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bull Dog Racing on the mixing of racing gas. If I have 15 litres of REG. how much racing gas would I need to bring it up to premium level? thanks

1badhusky

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the info guys - I'm gonna run 91 in it and see how it does.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If u run race fuel mix make sure u don't over octane the sled, i would just go with 91 and run that and u well be good..

Top Bottom