which boat??

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So recently got a lake lot out at pine lake ( yes the one that had the tornado) am all setup and relaxing. Now realizing how much I need a boat. Watching all the action on the lake. Just wondering which brand, been on kijiji looking at em. Looking at four winns, malibu, reinell 18'-20' Don't need best and greatest so the 70-80 000 boats are out of question..everything im looking at are 14-22000 depending on motor and year. All so similar, is the Volvo the better motor? Do I need the 5l or is 4.3l enough I'm a big guy and most of my buddies are on the bigger side. I'm avid fisherman so need dual purpose. Thank you for any feedback

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had many boats. Currently I own a four winns with a 5.0 mpi. The fuel savings alone is why I chose this boat. 5.7 liter can burn 50-70 liters per hour. I can run all weekend on 100 liters. Top speed is 44mph. 5.7 top speed is only 5-8 mph more but the fuel cost is double. If you and your friends are big guys a v8 is best.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had many boats. Currently I own a four winns with a 5.0 mpi. The fuel savings alone is why I chose this boat. 5.7 liter can burn 50-70 liters per hour. I can run all weekend on 100 liters. Top speed is 44mph. 5.7 top speed is only 5-8 mph more but the fuel cost is double. If you and your friends are big guys a v8 is best.

Fuel cost isn't double.

Use 10% of the horsepower for wide open fuel flow in US gal. ie 200hp will burn apprx 20 us/gal/hr at wide open. A 5.0 and a 5.7 are going to be within 15-20% of each other. I have both. Fuel consumption in a boat depends more on hull/drag and rpm than anything.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do you like the four winns? Does it cut through the water well? How does it handle choppy water? Is it a fishable boat or geared more towards water sports?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you like the four winns? Does it cut through the water well? How does it handle choppy water? Is it a fishable boat or geared more towards water sports?

I do like the four winns. Good quality and handles real good. I've smacked big waves at bad Angles and the boat eats it up. It's an h210 2008. I got it with only 50 hrs on it. It now has 120 hrs. As far as fishing it works fine. It's not a fishing boat but for waking. Skiing, fishing it's a good all around boat. Great on board storage also. It is really good on fuel even if I run at 4000-4500 rpm all day. Fuel is a write off for me so it's not about the money. It's about hauling (6) 5 gallon pails to the pier every two days. When I was looking at boats Ron from wizard lake gave me a different used boat to try every weekend all summer. I chose the four winns and a big factor was the fuel. If I was running in the shuswaps then a cobalt with a 496 super mag would be my choice. But in lake isle my four winns is great.

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel cost isn't double.

Use 10% of the horsepower for wide open fuel flow in US gal. ie 200hp will burn apprx 20 us/gal/hr at wide open. A 5.0 and a 5.7 are going to be within 15-20% of each other. I have both. Fuel consumption in a boat depends more on hull/drag and rpm than anything.

What you've said is true. But. If you have a 5.7 with sweet exhaust notes chances are you will push it harder. Like a mini van compared to a mustang. Drive the **** outa the mustang Or just cruise in the mini van. For my uses the 5.7 destroyed gas by comparison

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We sold a 20' Monterey with a 5.0 to buy a Malibu Wakesetter VTX has a 5.7L, Surfing is a blast and the reason we sold the Monterey
But I miss the Monterey for it's ride and handling.... Go with the 5.0 and make sure you have the right prop...
The Malibu hull could turn on a dime without caveating and handle the rougher water, better then any other boat I've been in, lots of creature comforts, several built in cooler's (they called them) worked great to keep live minnow's in.. lot's of storage, cup holders everywhere, little bit heavier then some of the same size boats, but built solid, I think its why it handled so well, we've gone all day on the Suswap and didn't run out of gas...
Pulled a couple of friends skiing and boarding that weighed close to 300lbs... he had bough an 18' boat with the 4.3L and even after we switched the prop to a power prop, it couldn't pull him out of the water...
Ours had the Merc-Alpha drive, had seen the same boat with the Volvo DP drive, that dual prop has an impressive bottom end...

We ere thinking of selling the Malibu and going to a river boat...

Attachments

• IMG-20120909-00627.jpg
    IMG-20120909-00627.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1307 copy1.jpg
    IMG_1307 copy1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 272

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have a 21 ft Crownline with a 5 L Merc. Love the combo and in my opinion the 5.0 l is a great all around motor and good on fuel. Don't use it much for fishing but have had good luck landing some nice trout while trolling with it. Good thing for the swim platform as we have carpet in the boat so no fishy inside :). However, trying to convince the wife we sell it and buy a tri haul pontoon boat. She thinks they are for "old people" LOL

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have a 21 ft Crownline with a 5 L Merc. Love the combo and in my opinion the 5.0 l is a great all around motor and good on fuel. Don't use it much for fishing but have had good luck landing some nice trout while trolling with it. Good thing for the swim platform as we have carpet in the boat so no fishy inside :). However, trying to convince the wife we sell it and buy a tri haul pontoon boat. She thinks they are for "old people" LOL
Just for different uses, been thinking about one too

Now I have seen u back up, pontoon boat getting wrecked is what wife should be worried about lmao

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been tossing the idea of a tritoon around. My wife is of same opinion were not old enough yet...took her to look at a few she kinda changing her mind...man there's some nice ones but big and bulky to be moving around if need be

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We sold a 20' Monterey with a 5.0 to buy a Malibu Wakesetter VTX has a 5.7L, Surfing is a blast and the reason we sold the Monterey
But I miss the Monterey for it's ride and handling.... Go with the 5.0 and make sure you have the right prop...
The Malibu hull could turn on a dime without caveating and handle the rougher water, better then any other boat I've been in, lots of creature comforts, several built in cooler's (they called them) worked great to keep live minnow's in.. lot's of storage, cup holders everywhere, little bit heavier then some of the same size boats, but built solid, I think its why it handled so well, we've gone all day on the Suswap and didn't run out of gas...
Pulled a couple of friends skiing and boarding that weighed close to 300lbs... he had bough an 18' boat with the 4.3L and even after we switched the prop to a power prop, it couldn't pull him out of the water...
Ours had the Merc-Alpha drive, had seen the same boat with the Volvo DP drive, that dual prop has an impressive bottom end...

We ere thinking of selling the Malibu and going to a river boat...

Wow beautiful boat

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey I am a awesome backer upper just when I don't have proper tires in snow I suck LOL

Just for different uses, been thinking about one too

Now I have seen u back up, pontoon boat getting wrecked is what wife should be worried about lmao

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at four winns, malibu, reinell 18'-20' Don't need best and greatest so the 70-80 000 boats are out of question..everything im looking at are 14-22000 depending on motor and year. All so similar, is the Volvo the better motor? Do I need the 5l or is 4.3l enough I'm a big guy and most of my buddies are on the bigger side.

In the runabouts you're looking at, there isn't much difference in power plants. Aren't most of the engines GM 3.0L, 4.3L, 5.0L ?? Merc and Penta have their own outdrive (leg) and are very comparible and won't say one is better than the other.
By your description, the 5.0L may work better for you. Even though a lot of the new 20' boats come with the 4.3 MPI.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the runabouts you're looking at, there isn't much difference in power plants. Aren't most of the engines GM 3.0L, 4.3L, 5.0L ?? Merc and Penta have their own outdrive (leg) and are very comparible and won't say one is better than the other.
By your description, the 5.0L may work better for you. Even though a lot of the new 20' boats come with the 4.3 MPI.

For the 19-20' no less than the 5.0MPI.
You nailed the motor choices.
I have Merc 5.0 carb in a 19' Maxum and miss the extra 40hp of the 5.0MPI.

Boat interiors vary a bit but hulls not to much in runabouts.
Maxum had best storage at the time I purchased.

Factory tower is by far the most solid with the least hassle.
After market I just an add on.
If you are looking for a tower.

Big Diesel

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Maxum 1800 with 4.3 with a 130 hours on it, it's for sale if anyone wants more info call or text 403-382-8763

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well season is almost over gonna take everyone's input and do some more research and make a more educated decision in the off season, see if I can't save a few buck either..and yes I'll check out one with a jet...lol thanks for all the input.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well season is almost over gonna take everyone's input and do some more research and make a more educated decision in the off season, see if I can't save a few buck either..and yes I'll check out one with a jet...lol thanks for all the input.

My advice is unless your looking into a specific use avoid a jet propelled boat, they are not a good option for someone looking into just getting into recreational boating on a lake.
They are very inefficient with approximately a 30% power lost at the drive and fuel consumption and noisy as hell as the exhaust is expelled by most jet drive above the water line and not below like a prop drive.
They are also a pita to get used to as they do not steer with out motor drive thrust, so marina's and loading unloading can be tricky and even damaging LOL.
Jet drive boats have their place and IMO unless your looking into a specific use where a jet is more suitable, a prop propelled boat is always a far better option.
My advice is before laying out the coin on one....go try one for the day first and see if its for you.

Top Bottom