Where to take the family for trail riding???

sharpstick

Reaction score
I'm new to this site so I apologize if I'm asking this in the wrong section. I love riding in the mountains and plan to do that a lot this winter but I want to take the wife and kids trail riding, preferably in central or southern Ab but would wonder into BC if there was a place to go. The wife is terrified of the mountains so looking for some fairly flat easy riding. I've heard Whitecourt area has some great trails and will look for more info for around there. I'm from Calgary so going south is no problem either but I will be chasing snow conditions more than area. Also, in a perfect world, I would like to rent a cabin in one of these areas also over New Years to spend time with the wife and kids and my brother and his clan. Is there such a place anywhere? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Sharpstick

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Golden has a couple trails that may fit the bill such as Susan Lake, Blaeberry River or the Parson to Nicholson Trail!

Reaction score
I'm new to this site so I apologize if I'm asking this in the wrong section. I love riding in the mountains and plan to do that a lot this winter but I want to take the wife and kids trail riding, preferably in central or southern Ab but would wonder into BC if there was a place to go. The wife is terrified of the mountains so looking for some fairly flat easy riding. I've heard Whitecourt area has some great trails and will look for more info for around there. I'm from Calgary so going south is no problem either but I will be chasing snow conditions more than area. Also, in a perfect world, I would like to rent a cabin in one of these areas also over New Years to spend time with the wife and kids and my brother and his clan. Is there such a place anywhere? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Sharpstick

We try to go here once a year. Booked for Feb. next year. Bearberry Cabins - All our cabins are built of natural woods - check out the availability You can sled right from the cabins. There's lots of trails and possibly even the Olds club within riding distance (I haven't tried). Cabins are reasonable. We sled to a big hill and let the kids toboggan while we sled around. It's always fun for us.

*EDIT*

Sundre area

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it's the complete opposite direction from you, but don't discount Northern Sask...Candle Lake, Nipawin, and Hudson Bay all have really good trail systems and in a good snow year, can get waist to armpit deep snow.

sharpstick

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys. I really like the idea of those cabins at Bearberry. I will give them a call. I will be sure to check out Catarack Creek as well. Thanks again.
Keep the info coming.
Cheers,

SS

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crowsnest, Atlas riding area. My kids have been riding there since they were 6. As for cabins, crowsnest mountain resort.

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

sharpstick

Reaction score
We're booked in to Crowsnest Mountain Resort as Bearberry was booked. Thanks so much guys, very much appreciated.
Where is the best place to find snowmobile maps of these areas?
Cheers,

ss

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can try the Husky in Coleman as well. I thought they used to be on line @ the Crowsnow Riders web page. It seems to be down. I'll see if I have an old digital copy at home.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does this area require avalanche gear? *curious*
There are some areas that yes there is slide potential but it's mostly trails in rolling hills. There is also a good warm up cabin at the north end of the trails.

Reaction score
There are some areas that yes there is slide potential but it's mostly trails in rolling hills. There is also a good warm up cabin at the north end of the trails.

Appreciate that..... (always looking for safe-ish trail ride potential)

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering about the atlas area. Does it have a big parking lot for sled trailers or should one want to take a sled deck. How far off the hi way is it. Thx

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it's the complete opposite direction from you, but don't discount Northern Sask...Candle Lake, Nipawin, and Hudson Bay all have really good trail systems and in a good snow year, can get waist to armpit deep snow.
We are going to do this in March I know a few that have went there and she was awesome.

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering about the atlas area. Does it have a big parking lot for sled trailers or should one want to take a sled deck. How far off the hi way is it. Thx

The staging area is fairly large so trailers are typically fine to take in there. If I recall its about a 10-15 minute drive off of the highway so its not far.

Top Bottom