Where to get Purolator oil filters????

DIYtruckoutfit

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
I have read on other forums alot of guys are using the Purolator Pure one oil filters on there Rhinos and Grizzlies, Read some reports on fram (who makes and private labels Yamaha filters) Fram is the worst possible filter. They use the cheapest parts available. Do a google search for oil filter tests. Cardboard end caps glued and plastic bypass with anti drainback pressed against cardboard. They leak dirty oil into the pan or can collapse due to cardboard end.
most people are suggesting and using the Purolator filters #PL14612, this filter is the same diameter but is slightly longer. It is also for an early model Mazda Miata. Any of the early Miata filters work and are a fraction of the cost of the Yamaha filter. The Purolator seems to be a lot of peoples favorite. They are a smidge longer but that just gives you more filter surface and added capacity.
Does anyone know carries the Purolator filters:confused here in Edmonton, I have checked and cannot find anyone who caries them here.
Also what oil are you using in your rhino????

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alpineman - I use the Puralotor Pure One filters on my Grizz, but I live in the states.

Now I have done some oil filter research & I've checked a few other threads, & here's what I've found.

First, Wix brand oil filters are close to or equal to, the Puralotor filters.

Next, In Canada, Wix filters can be found at either Autovalve or NAPA stores, if either are in your area.

And last, Wix filter part number 1356 is longer than stock (which means, a bit more oil), or you can get part number 1358 which is the stock length.

Well, hope that helps a little.

Later ...

DIYtruckoutfit

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
alpineman - I use the Puralotor Pure One filters on my Grizz, but I live in the states.

Now I have done some oil filter research & I've checked a few other threads, & here's what I've found.

First, Wix brand oil filters are close to or equal to, the Puralotor filters.

Next, In Canada, Wix filters can be found at either Autovalve or NAPA stores, if either are in your area.

And last, Wix filter part number 1356 is longer than stock (which means, a bit more oil), or you can get part number 1358 which is the stock length.

Well, hope that helps a little.

Later ...

Thanks I will go to NAPA as I do not belive we have Autovalve here in Edmonton, I will also go with the longer of the two as I would prefer to have more filtering and oil,

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I can get you Amsoil EaOM Filters as well.

AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters are made with premium-grade full synthetic media. Ea Motorcycle Oil Filters feature advanced full synthetic nanofiber technology, making them the highest efficiency filters available for the motorcycle market.

You can look it up here and PM me the part number and I can get you a price
AMSOIL PowerSports Product Lookup Guide

Last edited:

DIYtruckoutfit

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
purolator filters????? now your'e going to tell me you get your oil from kmart purolator bottom of the filter chain

Before you start ranting you should do a little research on filters, Pennzoil, Penske, Castrol, Quaker State and many OEM oil filter are made by Fram. Here is one of many I have found check it out.
Motorcycle Oil Filters & Air Filters
Google oil filters and you will find out alot about oil filters.

I have cut a Fram filter open before and discovered the media was seperated (not a used filter- a NEW one) so I refuse to use Fram. I have also changed the oil in my motorcycle and discovered a piece of media hanging out of the bottom of the filter (Yamaha factory filter). As far as I have been able to tell, there was no apparent engine damage- yet, but I am leery of Yamaha filters because of that.

I have also discovered on my research that the Purolator pure one is one of the better filters out there.

powderpusher

Reaction score
check out a napa store as purulator and napa brand filters are from the same manafacturer as well as the motomaster brand filter available through can tire it is actually a high quality filter

Reaction score
Thanks Gunny for those links.

Upon doing my own research I eventually found a Purolator phone number I could call..which I did.

I was told the ML16817 is the correct oil filter to fit the 700 Grizzly.

The PL-14610 is the one that fits the Grizzly 660. Both are a tad longer than the OEM filter..with more filter media as well.

More info given -
"She did go on to explain that to get the information for "motorcycles" they basically cross reference numbers from the automotive filters TO what will fit the different motorcycle/quads. Also, that they (Purolator) have only done testing on their filters for the automotive class of vehicles, and have done none for motorcycle/quads, so you would use their filters at your own discretion, as that cannot guarantee unforseen issues. She was unsure if the oil pump on an ATV had the ability to pump oil into non-OEM oil filters (having not done this research) as opposed to the oil pump on an automotive application."

Hope that helps others out as well.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well .... they may not have done the research on motorcycles & ATV's yet .... but I have 2 yrs of riding & about 2500 miles using those filters .... so for me ...... they work. :d

Thanks for the update info ....

Later ...

Top Bottom