Where to buy lakefront in alberta or sask

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a lakefront piece of property within 4 hrs of edmonton, preferably closer. Want a boating lake that ideally doesn't run into too many algae issues. Any input appreciated. Also looking for a decent value for the dollar. ie, not sylvan or wabamun. Thanks

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a lakefront piece of property within 4 hrs of edmonton, preferably closer. Want a boating lake that ideally doesn't run into too many algae issues. Any input appreciated. Also looking for a decent value for the dollar. ie, not sylvan or wabamun. Thanks

Ive been on lake isle since 98 and love it out there. Lots of sledding and the water is great for ski or wake boarding. We do get lettuce in the summer but I'm in the lake all the time. The algae bloom moves from end to end with the winds. We boat to the clear water and swim. You can't swim from shore. The places are reasonable and only 45 mins away from edm

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
curious as to why you say not wabamun? I understand prices are higher but you get what you pay for.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wont be long before blue algae is in all lakes in alberta.

I've been working in Lac La Biche and the lake is really nice.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Most are at risk and have deteriorated fast, we sold our lake lot at upper mann, can't even launch an aluminum boat..... At Wab we're pretty safe, septic systems have not been allowed since prior to the 60's and there is not much agriculture surrounding the lake which causes nutrient enriched run off from the water shed. After the CN derailment in 2005 there was a filtration system installed and the plants are no longer able to draw water from or add water too the lake. there is however a inlet pipeline which can draw fresh water from the North Saskatchewan if needed.

wont be long before blue algae is in all lakes in alberta.

I've been working in Lac La Biche and the lake is really nice.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Most are at risk and have deteriorated fast, we sold our lake lot at upper mann, can't even launch an aluminum boat..... At Wab we're pretty safe, septic systems have not been allowed since prior to the 60's and there is not much agriculture surrounding the lake which causes nutrient enriched run off from the water shed. After the CN derailment in 2005 there was a filtration system installed and the plants are no longer able to draw water from or add water too the lake. there is however a inlet pipeline which can draw fresh water from the North Saskatchewan if needed.

Not sure what your talking about .... Wab is a slew, swimmers itch every summer, oil still rises to the surface on hot days and you can't keep any fish out of the lake. That should tell you something. I would try and avoid this lake at all costs. just sayin.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
sorry, my bad, you are correct Doc.....

Lac Ste.Anne is a nice lake....

Not sure what your talking about .... Wab is a slew, swimmers itch every summer, oil still rises to the surface on hot days and you can't keep any fish out of the lake. That should tell you something. I would try and avoid this lake at all costs. just sayin.

maxandvin

Reaction score
I live on a lake about 60 Kms from Edmonton. It is WAY too busy, hardly any room for boating. It is constantly besieged by green algae and everyone has swimmers itch all summer. I am pretty certain that people pump raw sewage directly into the water. The fishing is horrible and if you did catch something, there is no way You could eat it!

Best lakes are in Saskatchewan, I hear Turtle lake is nice.:p

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're out at Lac Ste. Anne and have been on and off for about 15 years. The lake has its moments of doubt...but the last few years has shown lots of improvement in water quality and the levels are as high as they've ever been.
Even in high algae years...we've always managed to throw quite a few ours on the boat and the best part is it's only 40 minutes from Edmonton.
oh ya...sledding out here isn't too bad either?..sturgeon river flows thru!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Thunder lake or amisk lake up by boyle... Pretty clean and still lots/developement happening ;)

Amisk is a wicked lake, deep and clear, average depth of 51' and over 200' in spots... lots are few and far between as there is not much development and when they come available they are pricey..... but if one can find/afford a place there it would kick azz....

When we were in the market for our lake lot I would have gone much further into debt to get onto amisk, but there was nothing available. very little development on the lake.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thunder lake or amisk lake up by boyle... Pretty clean and still lots/developement happening ;)

We just moved to Thunder lake in Oct. We were some what local before but moved our permanent residence here to raise our girl. We didnt want to be right on the lake as it wasnt as private as what we bought, and we have much more room and freedom but still a 5 minute walk or drive to the water and provincail park. The lake is winter killed I believe due to previous low levels but all and all I grew up playing around this lake so it naturally felt somewhat like home already. I think prices are average for on the lake here for what your getting.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We weren't worried about being lake front either. Our place is 200' from the water and in the summer we don't have a view but when the storms roll in and the wind picks up I'm thankful we have all those trees protecting us....I don't need to see the lake, I know it's there.

We just moved to Thunder lake in Oct. We were some what local before but moved our permanent residence here to raise our girl. We didnt want to be right on the lake as it wasnt as private as what we bought, and we have much more room and freedom but still a 5 minute walk or drive to the water and provincail park. The lake is winter killed I believe due to previous low levels but all and all I grew up playing around this lake so it naturally felt somewhat like home already. I think prices are average for on the lake here for what your getting.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
bogger.... there is a couple acreage subdivisions on the south side of amisk that they're putting in ... I suspect it will be an over populated lake soon, like most of the good lakes have been, and running septic fields to help kill lakes....... :(

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
bogger.... there is a couple acreage subdivisions on the south side of amisk that they're putting in ... I suspect it will be an over populated lake soon, like most of the good lakes have been, and running septic fields to help kill lakes....... :(

from what we've been told up at the lake lot is laws have changed province wide, no more septic fields, pump outs only, this is due to all the damaged lakes.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
the only properties around our place with septic are pre-1960, not many left. If they are newer developments and within 1km of the lakeshore they likely will need holding tanks as opposed to septic.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I've been told that local agriculture has a much bigger impact on the lakes. nutrient rich fertilizers running off into the lake from the watershed supports the growth of algae.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Algae seems to be a real problem. A few lakes that I've found that as of yet don't seem to struggle with quality issues are, Island Lake, Skeleton, Amisk (very tough to find anything for sale), Lesser Slave, Moose Lake (bonneville). We are looking for front row lakefront. Budget is up to 250k for land, under 500k with building. Rules out most newer stuff, at least the larger homes.

Top Bottom