Where is the safest eastern bc riding

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to ride quite a bit in the Nordegg area when I lived near Red Deer. Mostly cut line and power line riding, more advanced riding is west of Nordegg. East side of town is easier for all skill levels. Sometimes lack of snow can be an issue. It's been a few years since I've been there so I can't really tell you where to go but maybe check with local clubs...I think there's a club in Rocky Mtn House but not positive.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mention "safe"? They all can be safe but carry a risk of danger. Remember your gear. Area maps gps etc as you are riding areas you've never been. iE. Deceased sledder in revy. 3 pages of comments and nobody mentioned possibly hiring a guide for your first trip to eastern bc. Side note good news they found the lost sledder in Williamson lake who was riding alone"alive"

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If you want a tour of the Elk Valley, send me a PM.

........... 3 pages of comments and nobody mentioned possibly hiring a guide for your first trip to eastern bc.

15 years experience riding the Elk Valley and taking people to tour the area and I have offered to show him around. I know "it isn't the same as hiring a guide" but really, when it comes right down to it, what is the definition of a guide? But then again maybe you missed my offer Milton.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15 years experience riding the Elk Valley and taking people to tour the area and I have offered to show him around. I know "it isn't the same as hiring a guide" but really, when it comes right down to it, what is the definition of a guide? But then again maybe you missed my offer Milton.
yup sorry I did.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I searched lumberton looks pretty nice riding never been there but seems worth the drive. I'd imagine closest lodging is cranbrook?
just curious if you drive straight west of where you live what major city in alberta is closer edmonton or calgary?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
maybe you know already, but if you want to go to BC from Saskatchewan and Calgary is in the way, it has to be by-passed. A lot of time is wasted getting through the heavy congestion. We use highway #3 in BC/AB and the TCH as much as possible. Easy drive and top speeds can be maintained.

Mtdgt

Reaction score
Doug I can attest to the fact that you give an excellent tour! I also know your a little biased when it comes to your riding area!! Let's not forget that the Crowsnest Pass has over 1200 km of groomed Trails and is also as family friendly or challenging as a rider wants.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If you find out how to ride in Banff (a National Park) please let us know. Lumberton is well groomed and quite flat with no avalanche risk on the groomed trail. Lots of open riding and lots of trees in the more extreme areas. Managed by the Cranbrook Snowmobile Club. You could check out the Snow Crow Riders in the Pass. Lots of groomed trails and lots of various bowls.

If you want a tour of the Elk Valley, send me a PM.

Doug I can attest to the fact that you give an excellent tour! I also know your a little biased when it comes to your riding area!! Let's not forget that the Crowsnest Pass has over 1200 km of groomed Trails and is also as family friendly or challenging as a rider wants.

Hahahahaha.............Terry, I guess you didn't read all of the posts. Eagle Eye wanted "eastern BC riding" and I have mentioned the Elk Valley and Lumberton as a couple safe areas. As noted above, I also mentioned the Pass.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahahahaha.............Terry, I guess you didn't read all of the posts. Eagle Eye wanted "eastern BC riding" and I have mentioned the Elk Valley and Lumberton as a couple safe areas. As noted above, I also mentioned the Pass.
now that I have my things I might need to hit your area doug for cooking lessons lol

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
now that I have my things I might need to hit your area doug for cooking lessons lol

I don't know about the lessons as it is pretty much creativity that produces the good meals. I doo have a preference to seafood.

Anytime you want to come down just let me know. We do need more snow for us to be going full bore.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the lessons as it is pretty much creativity that produces the good meals. I doo have a preference to seafood.

Anytime you want to come down just let me know. We do need more snow for us to be going full bore.
so when you go to revy what is your route that makes the most sense?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify im from central sk so the closer the better. That could include western Alberta as well I'm unaware of much of the western Alberta riding areas.

I will throw in Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails in the Cataract Creek Snow Vehicle Public Land Use Zone an hour and a half south and west of Calgary. Go south of Calgary to High River, and then turn West and drive to Longview. From there drive west toward the mountains following the Highwood Valley, into the southern most point of Kananaskis Country. You end up at a gate across the highway where you turn south for 6 kms to the Etherington trailhead.

If you are looking for a beginning area, beside the Rocky Mountain Great Divide, this area was developed to be family friendly, with low risk. We have one trail that is expert only, but 95% of the trails (250+ kms. of trails) are wide enough for two snowmobiles to pass side by side. Six of the trails are "valley bottom" trails, and three are over/along ridge tops - with fantastic views/photo opportunities on two of them. We have started to groom this area this year after it not seeing a groomer for 12 years. Come and see it.

Here is the Snow and Mud thread on the area: https://www.snowandmud.com/s-w-albe...reek-snowmobile-offical-thread-2015-16-a.html

eagle eye

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys I'm actually near Melville so I can basically head anywhere I'm pretty central but I suppose if I went to Regina west of there it's all twin highway so the easiest to travel. Or Saskatoon west. It honestly doesn't matter id go anywhere. I have friends that ride mcbride I've been wanting to go there for years.

Top Bottom