Where is the safest eastern bc riding

eagle eye

Reaction score
Just curious to have a little discussion here. I want to get my wife into the sport more as she is a professional photographer as well. We rode a ton in Montana but I knew the areas very well. I've ridden bc some but curious what people's onions are on the most Avalanche safe places to ride. When I'm out there I mostly prefer tree riding and getting into the deep powder in bowls etc were not trying to be the king of the hill. Thinking of bringing kids slowly too as they've ridden in Montana as well and had a lot of fun. What's a good safe play area?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Since you said eastern BC, I will mention the Fernie area. There can be places that are very advanced and avalanche prone but for the most part it is pretty safe. Cranbrook/Lumberton is another great place that is very safe.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since you said eastern BC, I will mention the Fernie area. There can be places that are very advanced and avalanche prone but for the most part it is pretty safe. Cranbrook/Lumberton is another great place that is very safe.
Agreed. Fernie is great lumberton is also good. Grooming there is best I've ever seen by long shot.

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride Fernie area, my son and I took ast1 course last year so we can know what to look for in the area's that we ride

eagle eye

Reaction score
I've ridden vale, golden, radium and fernie but fernie and radium I didn't know the areas well so didn't go far in. I thought A couple areas in golden seemed safe and easy to get in and out of. Vale always seems hairy maybe it's the steepness. Where's kakwa and lumberton?

eagle eye

Reaction score
Just to clarify im from central sk so the closer the better. That could include western Alberta as well I'm unaware of much of the western Alberta riding areas.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I've ridden vale, golden, radium and fernie but fernie and radium I didn't know the areas well so didn't go far in. I thought A couple areas in golden seemed safe and easy to get in and out of. Vale always seems hairy maybe it's the steepness. Where's kakwa and lumberton?

Lumberton is out of Cranbrook. FYI, Fernie is probably the closest mountain destination to your area. Albeit, you do go through the Crowsnest Pass on your way but you did say "eastern BC".

eagle eye

Reaction score
How's lumberton? We had a house in Kalispell I drove to every 2 weeks so that's not a bad drive, I should have clarified though maybe there's some western Alberta mountain riding that's good? Maybe Banff? I don't know any of those areas

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Banff is out, you can't ride in parks. Valemount and McBride are about 5 hours West of Edmonton. Clemina has a nice mix of riding areas as does Allen Creek. These are both in the Valemount area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If you find out how to ride in Banff (a National Park) please let us know. Lumberton is well groomed and quite flat with no avalanche risk on the groomed trail. Lots of open riding and lots of trees in the more extreme areas. Managed by the Cranbrook Snowmobile Club. You could check out the Snow Crow Riders in the Pass. Lots of groomed trails and lots of various bowls.

If you want a tour of the Elk Valley, send me a PM.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saskatoon and north your better off to go through Edmonton, mcbride, valemount type stuff or you want a real treat try kakwa... lodging and gas is a problem though.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Fernie area is just what you are looking for and closet drive for you. Once and while it will be good riding in Crowsnest pass area so that gives you a lot of options in SE BC and SW AB.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sicamous, other than eagles

Bluelake or owlshead or queest has no avalanche risk till past the cabins and trails stop

Where If u road golden, every one has multiple avy runouts before the cabin

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crowsnest is great I rode there with my dad lots growing up! Fernie is safe and fun the club has two good cabins which is nice for the wife and kids! I'm sure someone would show you around myself and tater talked about taking the kids skiing in the near future in the fernie area nice to get the kids doing laps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eagle eye

Reaction score
What are the requirements for riding fernie? Trail passes insurance etc

eagle eye

Reaction score
I searched lumberton looks pretty nice riding never been there but seems worth the drive. I'd imagine closest lodging is cranbrook?

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I searched lumberton looks pretty nice riding never been there but seems worth the drive. I'd imagine closest lodging is cranbrook?
Yes, it is about 12 kms from Cranbrook to the turnoff and 15 kms up to the parking lots. Trail pass is 20 bucks and available at any sled dealer in town or the Chevron gas station, also most days there is someone at the parking lot. The trails should be groomed anytime now, enjoy your ride where ever you go.

Top Bottom