Where do you keep your inreach when you ride

chris_paquin

Reaction score
Hey guys I just got an inreach explorer and I am wondering where people are putting them when they ride. I seen one guy mount his on the dash of his sled but I was thinking it should probably be on me? It would be handy on the dash for the mapping and sending out tracking to the internet for the old lady. Let me know if you have one and what you do with it and if it will still send out the tracking to the internet if it is in my pack

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just got an inreach explorer and I am wondering where people are putting them when they ride. I seen one guy mount his on the dash of his sled but I was thinking it should probably be on me? It would be handy on the dash for the mapping and sending out tracking to the internet for the old lady. Let me know if you have one and what you do with it and if it will still send out the tracking to the internet if it is in my pack

I don't have one yet, so I don't know about the tracking and mapping on the inreach whether it will work when tucked into your jacket pocket. I would keep it zipped up inside my jacket pocket. It's not much good to you if it should fall off your sled mount and get lost. If the mapping and track feature is anything like the mapping feature on my Garmin 76 CSx GPS it should work just fine in your jacket pocket.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on another note. Do you know if the GPS mapping on this unit works without the Subscription or. do you have to activate your subscription for all features to work?

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep mine in a zipper pocket on the front of my jacket, tracking seems fine. I perfer to have it close in case something does happen, almost like my beacon. I really like the peace of mind.

Don't know if mapping works without a subscription, or why you would have one if you can't communicate.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a spot tracker, mine fits nicely in the front pouch of my handle bar bag. skidoo one. i agree its probabaly better being on your person though

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry mine in an inside pants pocket, warm to presrve the battery and a distance from beacon
Dont use it for tracking, just as a emergency back up tool, have sent text's from lots of places to test....high up mountains, in thick trees deep in a valley, out in the oceacn on a dive boat, always worked and recieved a response..thats the feature I like.....

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep mine in a zipper pocket on the front of my jacket, tracking seems fine. I perfer to have it close in case something does happen, almost like my beacon. I really like the peace of mind.

Don't know if mapping works without a subscription, or why you would have one if you can't communicate.

Just curious to know if the GPS features work without subscription. I already have a GPS and As I understand you can suspend your subscription when not needed. If that is true then you have the versatility of using it as as just a GPS and not pay the subscription fee.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I believe the gps still works but not sure about the maps updating. The ability to suspend and reactivate the plan whenever you want is a huge plus.
If you plan to communicate with another Delorme you can but must know and use the Delorme email address that is assigned to each unit. The phone number can and does change. That tripped me up at first.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep it in your back pack or jacket and definetly not on your sled. It should work fine in a pocket.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I keep mine on my sled (in the heated pouch) and the reason why is because of the electrical interference with the beacon. Yes, if the sled is buried, I don't have access. That is not the end of the world. Better the sled be buried than me and if I am buried and maybe dead, is the inReach important?

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point about the interference with the beacon. Is there any proof or strong evidence of these types of devices affecting beacons, or is it all speculation? I have heard of this sort of thing but mostly hearsay. Iron Horse, how far apart must devices be to eliminate interference?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Good point about the interference with the beacon. Is there any proof or strong evidence of these types of devices affecting beacons, or is it all speculation? I have heard of this sort of thing but mostly hearsay. Iron Horse, how far apart must devices be to eliminate interference?

At the AST1 courses, most instructors will give a little demo with the beacon turned on and a cell phone or other electronic device sitting (iPod, radios, etc.) on top or near by (within 30 cm they say). When they do "the search" the beacons don't react well to other frequencies or electrical interference. It would be interesting to put a beacon beside the 12V battery (sled on it's side with a person underneath the side panel) and see what there is for interference. But staying on topic, all my electronics are in my riser bag for the purpose of reducing the electronic interference.

WildWestDooing

Reaction score
Usually put InReach wrap inside pull hat and put inside of google heat storage just above of dash and close and make sure it is full so no movement inside storage. Has no issue. Still working even tracking or messaging when InReach is place google heat storage on my Ski Doo sled. Bad idea to put body pocket with beacon on. If something happen to me, let someone grab my device from sled.

Top Bottom