where do you go to check a Sleds VIN, make sure its not stolen

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found a 2010 Polaris thats 2 g less than anywhere else, he claims he took it on trade on a side by side this past summer. it came from the NWT he says, no registration for it ! I asked for the VIN before I go see it.,
the last personal sled I bought was taken from me by RCMP 2 yrs ago ,they said it was stolen 5 yrs ago, they know who the guy is ,but told me to hire a lawyer and take him to Civil court . ya right. over a 91 Polaris .
. I checked it out with RCMP and Motorvehicles before I got it too? dont want to loose another,
hes said he will call back with the VIN ...

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found a 2010 Polaris thats 2 g less than anywhere else, he claims he took it on trade on a side by side this past summer. it came from the NWT he says, no registration for it ! I asked for the VIN before I go see it.,
the last personal sled I bought was taken from me by RCMP 2 yrs ago ,they said it was stolen 5 yrs ago, they know who the guy is ,but told me to hire a lawyer and take him to Civil court . ya right. over a 91 Polaris .
. I checked it out with RCMP and Motorvehicles before I got it too? dont want to loose another,
hes said he will call back with the VIN ...

Unregistered sleds are a pain in the ass. Run as far away as you can, don't be a sucker for the price. Get a sled with a clean paperwork trail.

If you ever go to sell it again, you might have problems with buyers wanting the back up paperwork. It might be why he is dumping it for $2G's less than normal. I refuse to buy unregistered stuff now, just too much risk. Without proper registration, you can't do a lien search on any vehicle, to see if $$$ is still owed, especially on a 2010, this could very well still be the case. The bank can come and repo the unit if the seller still owes on it and doesn't pay out the balance after you buy it, then you are out the money and still don't have a sled. You as the buyer take pretty well all the risk and so you need to do as much of your due diligence as possible.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i seen 3 guys in the insurance place i was at getting background checks when i was plating and getting insurance for my sled.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the registrie office said the sled is not in the system in Alberta and cant do a canada wide search till actually go to register it? but the seller has said she will take a 2 day postdated cheque, I can go to register it before cheque clears.if she knew it was stolen, dont think she would do that.so my son works at local car dealer who has account with Canada wide registries, he searched the number and it came up registered in NWT and is clean..so going tomorrow to check it out...

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the registrie office said the sled is not in the system in Alberta and cant do a canada wide search till actually go to register it? but the seller has said she will take a 2 day postdated cheque, I can go to register it before cheque clears.if she knew it was stolen, dont think she would do that.so my son works at local car dealer who has account with Canada wide registries, he searched the number and it came up registered in NWT and is clean..so going tomorrow to check it out...
Ken, chances are that she would have bolted as soon as you started asking questions if the deal were shady.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I purchased a "fleet" sled that was not in the system due to the way they are registered.
Brought it to Registries office where they verified the serial (motor and frame) and away I went.
Just thought I'd share.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give her the $80 and get her to register it? then you have a paper trail, and she can sign the registration over to you when you buy it. If you don't want it, you're only out $80

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally if it has vins that are untampered it's not likely stolen, not to mention if the seller lets you see their house because then you have recourse on pressing charges for selling stolen goods... You can never be too safe I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give a deposit Get a bill of sale register it. Wait a few days then pay the rest.
What kind of
91 Polaris I had one that was taken off my driveway in 2005.

Top Bottom