when is a belt bad

chrispy

Reaction score
i have always been told that when the cord on the outter egde of the belt starts to frew or brake u should replace the belt.. put maybe 150 miles on a brand new belt checked it and it is missing a 2 inch piece of cord. could u still use the belt? the dealer says yes. i say no. its still warrenty so just want to get some opinions if its worth arguing over or not. they say they wont warrenty it cause its still good. got over 700 miles on my last belt and only replaced it for maintence reasons no cords missing. my clutch is good had them check alignment. im sure, but hard to prove that it was just a bad belt. What do u think?
08 summit xp 800

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've had a cord or two ripped on mine all season so far, 20+ rides on it. lol probly a downfall in the performance end but... at nearly 200 bucks i am gunna run it till it blows

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup run it,,,, just burn the little thread if it is still showing so it doesnt pull out more,,, it will be fine,,, now if it is marking the clutches or is getting really hot you may have some clutch or alignment issues therefore eating the belt but you said clutches are all good:beer:

DOONORTH

Reaction score
Yup, just sear off any thread hanging out and put it back on, run it. I have a couple of buddies with over 1500km on belts that have thrown a string out. No issues.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My second belt was showing a chord, I cut it off. For your information, the chords do not burn I tried with a lighter, and that didn't affect it one bit.
I rode in waist deep powder with that belt and it lasted about 10 minutes of hard riding. It had a fwapping sound like my track was torn, then POW it peeled the top half off.
Guess I shoulda let the belt cool off. It was super hot, and that is the big enemy.

My back up belt had a chord pull out, so I ran that. I will remain a back up belt.

Top Bottom