Wheeled users

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just a reminder to all the wheeled outdoor users.
Snowmobile Clubs are activily putting their trails in place for the snowmobile users. This work involves packing what snow is on the trail down for a smooth flat surface. If you are looking to ride on a snowmobile trail please try somewhere else and respect the work that volunteers put into making the trails smooth for their riders. These trails are still a bit soft and wheeled traffic cause damage to the surface. Snowmobiling season is short and we would appreciate that you don't use these trails till springtime.

Thanks for your support.
Snowmobile Clubs of Alberta

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was down at maclean creek on sunday 6th, saw one lonely sled track, about a hundred atv's. going to need alot more snow to keep atv's off those trails in maclean.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was down at maclean creek on sunday 6th, saw one lonely sled track, about a hundred atv's. going to need alot more snow to keep atv's off those trails in maclean.

There are no sled trails in McLean, as far as I'm concerned. If someone is looking for groomed trails, go else where.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are no sled trails in McLean, as far as I'm concerned. If someone is looking for groomed trails, go else where.

true but i seen some trails that are dedicated to sleds, some bikes also. i'm sure no one grooms trails out there. too close to calgary and the masses.

• Staff

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maclean has no organized sled trails operate3d by a snowmobile club. McLean creek is a motorized area for all to enjoy. What Im concerned about are trail systems such as Golden Triangle, Caroline, Olds blaeberrry. All those ASA organized sled trail systems. These volunteers put in a pile of time into the systems.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless there is more snow, sleds won't be using most of those trails either glen, Can't say if they even groom trails west of caroline or bearberry. Not alot of snow last few years

• Staff

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unless there is more snow, sleds won't be using most of those trails either glen, Can't say if they even groom trails west of caroline or bearberry. Not alot of snow last few years

Thanks Larry. Alberta is a big province and snow is all over it at different levels.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be a pretty douchy move to run an ATV down a groomed sled trail and I would hope everyone on this site agrees with me.

i would think the majority do, but there are lots that are not on this site and quite frankly don't really care. see it all the time. caroline, sundre, bearberry area's. not only those from outside the area but locals also.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
happens all the time, thus the request from Glen.

yes anyway i have no idea if they even groom trails west of red deer, only ride out there on poker rallies in the winter on a sled. and it isn't groomed, lol. need a large dump of snow to restrict the atv'ers.

Stickman70

Reaction score
McLean Creek is not where you want to ride your sled!!
If you want some good trails around there go to Cataract Creek. They aren't groomed but still good riding.
Check some of the pics on the SW Alberta thread.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want some good trails around there go to Cataract Creek. They aren't groomed but still good riding.

No Quads allowed in Cataract Creek. Ever. Th

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No Quads allowed in Cataract Creek. Ever. Th

Sheesh Sleddergeln, we may be a tad over sensitive. ...doesn't look like he was implying that at all.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do the clubs feel about quads on tracks on the groomed trails ?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm not a sled trail user but I'll pipe in anyway. If you pay for a trail pass and aren't ripp'n up the trails the way quads with ties do, have at 'er.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As of now, the Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area P.L.U.Z. is a "SNOWMOBILE" riding area only. The Government of Alberta defines an ATV as an ATV - or O.H.V., wheels or tracks equipped does not matter (same for Side-by-Sides, motorcycles adapted for snow with a ski and studded tire. A "snow-bike - with track - I am not sure). The Alberta Snowmobile Association defines a snowmobile as a "snow-vehicle with a tunnel" only, invests heavily in funds and volunteer hours building and maintaining recognized snowmobile trails/grooming, and does work with the other O.H.V. organizations on all matters.

This thread comes down to "when a trail is groomed, do not ever ride down it with an O.H.V. with tires" - right Glen? The money and volunteer hours (read "value" - money) that has gone into preparing the trail for a groomer and the operation of a groomer is very large. ATV/Side-by-Side riders/drivers please respect this fact and stay off.

On another point, from Maclean Creek on north to Ghost, Wiaprous, and Burnt Timber area(?), it seems to me that there is a very large number of trails that A.T.V./O.H.V.'ers can ride - am I wrong?

Kaz Dog, Organizer, Cataratct Creek Snowmobile Area Trail Committee, Calgary Snowmobile Club

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dean, I will disagree with you on your opinion. A.S.A. Trail Passes are sold only for snowmobile use, nothing else. This came up last spring (2014) at our Semi-Annual A.S.A. General Meeting by a club out of Fort McMurray, and after discussion, the above decision was reached. Each club may allow non-snowmobiles on their "own" trails, but that is a club's decision. No club is allowed to sell an A.S.A. Trial Pass for non-snowmobile use.
I'm not a sled trail user but I'll pipe in anyway. If you pay for a trail pass and aren't ripp'n up the trails the way quads with ties do, have at 'er.

Top Bottom