Wheel Spacers ????? Clueless

MudChukker

Reaction score
Alright so i have fliped my unit 3 times this year lol. Once was due to playing chicken with a tree that has alot more spring to it rather then just mowing over it. the other two were offset ruts that dropped out as i attempted to conquar mud holes and both were at the end of the hole on the way out. my question is what is the best and safest size of wheel spacer to throw on? i do not wanna nuke bearings or snap lugs or negatively effect steering. so any feedback would be awesome. thanks guys

jaredvh

Reaction score
I've got 1.5" Spacers on each side of my outlander. It is awful. When the front wheels grab anything on the trail they grab hard. I rolled it last winter cause the wheels grabbed the hard pack on the side of the trail. Unless you have power steering with a steering damper I wouldn't suggest spacers. I'm in the process of looking for aftermarket wheels so i dont have to run the spacers anymore.

MudChukker

Reaction score
i got the EPS model. so steering is a breeze no matter what so far but i wonder if a steering dampener wouldnt be a bad idea just to lighten the load on the power steering. Anyone out there know the answer to that??? maybe it could even prevent a power steering pump from shitting the bed one day

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what are you trying to gain with the spacers? more width? if so you can allways use an offset rim but that would cost more than spacers but you could gain more width. what kind of rig are ya rockin?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What type of quad? Spacers may not help it for tipping in certain conditions.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got 1.5" Spacers on each side of my outlander. It is awful. When the front wheels grab anything on the trail they grab hard. I rolled it last winter cause the wheels grabbed the hard pack on the side of the trail. Unless you have power steering with a steering damper I wouldn't suggest spacers. I'm in the process of looking for aftermarket wheels so i dont have to run the spacers anymore.

just curious how are 1.5inch offset wheels going to be any different than 1'5 inch spacers?

jaredvh

Reaction score
just curious how are 1.5inch offset wheels going to be any different than 1'5 inch spacers?

I wont be going with anywhere near that much offset on an aftermarket wheel. My plan is to go with the least possible offset to be able to clear the tie rods.

MudChukker

Reaction score
I got a 2012 Polaris 550 XP EPS, so its got the 14" rim and its a pretty nice rim for a factory wheel, buying new rims is out of the question, i like what i got and would rather put that money else where on my machine i have a lengthy list of upgrades i wanna do over time. i plan on putting a clutch kit on in the spring and also putting 28" ITP Mega Mayhems on ( going 28" due to the fact that most guys are measuring the 27's at 26 1/2") i don't plan on lifting my quad until i'm prepared to spend 900 bucks on gorilla axles which may never happen lol. eventually i will put a full exhaust, snorkel kit i already got a rad relocate kit coming from wildboar, i wanna put a big gun programmer on it and rev box. i just want a wider stance for traction going threw mud. if i have missed any upgrades let me know i want my machine to be a little tank the 550 has enough power to do so, it may not be the fastest but then again speed is over rated.

Pecos

Reaction score
Spacers=Bad........If only you could upgrade the wheel stud as well to a larger diameter.......IMO they cause more problems than they cure. But to each his own.....I would suggest learning to ride it the way it is and get used to it....I'll bet you cure the issue with some more seat time on the machine. Good luck and have fun!

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Pecos, I have been tossing around the idea of getting rear wheel spacers for my old beast (narrow rear swing axle) but after much reading and research people seem to have more issues with bearings, and BAD bump steer on non-EPS models (since you have EPS no worries, but like ya said MAYBE EPS problems may begin...:confused:)

I tip my machine a few times a year, and it's usually my fault...either I second guess myself and go too slow OR I try going around a "mudhole" that is only a puddle....:rolleyes:haha, oyyyy....:eek:

So maybe just maybe a bit more seat time, and different wider tires will make the difference!?!?!?!?!? Just my 2 cents....

Last edited:

jaredvh

Reaction score
Another comment that I have is if you're going to be putting taller tire on your quad it will raise your center of gravity making it more unstable. Just something to think about when you go with a bigger tire. Might just have to tame your riding down a little!

extreme

Reaction score
i have 1 3/4 inch spcers all the way around and have no problems the power steering has no issues with it

Top Bottom