Wheel and tire buyer . Any suggestions?

Anzac RZR

Reaction score
Hi guys ,

First i would like to say thanks for the feed back concerning the HID lights . I am planning to do the install this week .

I would like to upgrade my ability in the mud/trail . I have installed a two inch lift kit so i have some room but i don't want to hear on a regular basis the sound of A. a broken axle or B. the sound of money flying out of my wallet.

So far i have put together this train of thought :

Rhino axles , 2 inch spacers, clutch kit , and some type of 14 inch wheel and tire combo . Are 27 s too small? do 30s break axles ? are 28s the best choice ? swamp lites , highlifters?, mud hogs?, Mud bugs ? should they be a radial ?

You see i have lots of questions .

Would love some feedback on whats working out there in the mud and dirt.

Feel free to suggest what is working best my train of thought may be all wrong .

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen 14" rims with 30" Zilla's seemed to work really well and they are very light.

m8welder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking to do the same. Got my eye on those omf beadlock rims. Gonna try 14". And i think im going to go one size bigger to 28" swamp lites. I dont want to lose a whole bunch of speed. Now i just need to contact someone who can give me a price!

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 30" Zilla's on 14" ITP beadlocks. I'm running 4 psi and really like the setup. I'm getting awesome traction and flotation. The only thing I don't like is the fronts rub a bit on the fenders when you hit a hole going to fast. Will 30" tires break axles? Yes if your not using careful throttle management, axles will break. I broke one front axle and am running Rhino's on the front. Going to leave the rears and see what happens. With the rzr 4 and 30" rubber I would think you would need a clutch kit. Personally with that machine I would go with 28" tires and bead lock rims. I don't think I will ever run another quad without bead locks myself. I would run those tires a bit and you can make a judgement call on the clutch kit from there. Just remember low range is your buddy when going through a mud hole. Cheers.

z400

Reaction score
one thing about zillas are they are light but the draw back to that is that they puncture pretty easy and about the 14" rims is the tire sizes are limited and i know the cool thing now adays is to go bigger rims but the ride quality goes down side wall flex is not a real bad thing unless your a circle track racer just my 2 cents

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back late last night from Rocky, bro-in-law just put brand new 12" rims with 27" Zillas on a Can-am....first day late in the day had a puncture, plugged it all good. Second day in some sticky mud I had to show off with the Teryx, 14" rim & 28"mudlites tore up an axle. Doesn't matter what combo you go with without throttle control as previously mention shat can break.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually my ride quality is way up as I'm only running 4 psi. I can go over 4-6" logs at any speed and not even feel them. When riding on rocks the tires just soak up the ruff-ness. When I put the stock tires back on the ride quality goes way down. On a negative note: I did run over a rock about 10" round going down a steep hill fairly fast and the rock did hit the rim. Not hard enough to break it and I hope not hard enough to bend it. Won't know until the tire comes off. Again good throttle and break management comes into play.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Just got back late last night from Rocky, bro-in-law just put brand new 12" rims with 27" Zillas on a Can-am....first day late in the day had a puncture, plugged it all good. Second day in some sticky mud I had to show off with the Teryx, 14" rim & 28"mudlites tore up an axle. Doesn't matter what combo you go with without throttle control as previously mention shat can break.

So the truth comes out,thought you were blaming that on Mamma?

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 09 rzr with 26" mudlite xtr and then went to 30" zillas, both were good and didn't need any clutch work, I never had any issues with punctures. Imao, I would go with 27" mudlite xtr's or outlaw radials if you want a more aggressive mud tire.

Top Bottom