What's your kids riding?

Sooley

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering what kind of sleds you have your kids riding? I have two boys 9 and 5 ,both have been riding the 120 for a couple years now. My oldest was bored with it last season, not to mention its brutal going on a ride with him riding a 120. I was thinking of looking for a 340 Indy lite or a 380 ski-doo, is there any modification you do to these bigger sleds to make them more youth friendly? Any input will help thanks.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you could rig up some sort of manual throttle stop. That would be a slick set up to have.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Havent tried it myself but ive heard about putting a washer in the exhaust port at the head of the engine to restrict air flow thus reducing power....just relaying what I heard, and if it works "if you try it" let me know pls/thx

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son started with a tnt 440 and all i did was put a over length belt so the engine will still rev up but speed was restricted as he got better i put a shorter belt on and he started at 6yrs old and now he he just bought a 2012 summit 800

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our 8 year old rides a 340 and the 6 year old has a 120 which will probably need upgraded soon... The 13 year old has a 500 SnoPro, but can often be swatted stealing my spare 800... These girls will soon be kicking their Mamma's azz on sleds :)

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son started with a tnt 440 and all i did was put a over length belt so the engine will still rev up but speed was restricted as he got better i put a shorter belt on and he started at 6yrs old and now he he just bought a 2012 summit 800[/QUOTE

Good info.... my grandson is only 6, but two years ago he beatup a kitty kat so I found him a little 120 summit x (it's in my avatar) and he rode it hard last year but he could handle a little more sled this year so we thought we might mod it.... now I have a little 250 polaris that his dad used to ride 27 years ago but we were afraid to put little fart on it as he has a bit of a speed problem, now that longer belt idea might just be the solution!!! Thx

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Home
Seen these and thought they might be a good sled for the 8-12 range my boys still on 120(3/6/7)

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bravos are a good step up from a 120. Both my girls are on them and they both started on 120s.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my twin boys started on a 95 puma and a powder special 700. at 14 they moved up to an M7 and slightly moded M8 and handle them real well. They'll be 16 here in a month.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both my kids started at 9 on a 550 fan cooled, little much but just taught them to respect it, been wreck free so far , my youngest is now 14 and will be riding a free ride this year, we ride here and in the mountains, my nephew rides a bravo 250 and he's 6, depends how much time you spend with them to teach is what i would let them ride

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Jaymie started on our 340 Indy Lite when she was 6. We drilled a hole threw the handle bar behind the throttle and put screws and washers on both sides and can adjust the amount of throttle we give her depending on the circumstance.

We have found the the brakes though to be not too reliable so Larry is going to be talking to Trevor about a better set up for her.

We are going to be replacing the seat for her though and putting on a Skinz seat because that stock seat is pretty wide and that has got to be pretty uncomfortable on her pelvis.

Jan

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one of the best kids sled is a the old yamaha sno scoots.. but they are pricey and supper hard to find ... my grandpa had one for us grandkids growing up but he got rid of it a long time ago before i was old enough to appriciate what we had now im looking for one and cant find one

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
started my boy at 5 on a 340 jag.(now hes 8) Electric start and reverse.He's got a big surprise comin for christmas.

Sprint5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering what kind of sleds you have your kids riding? I have two boys 9 and 5 ,both have been riding the 120 for a couple years now. My oldest was bored with it last season, not to mention its brutal going on a ride with him riding a 120. I was thinking of looking for a 340 Indy lite or a 380 ski-doo, is there any modification you do to these bigger sleds to make them more youth friendly? Any input will help thanks.

My little brother was riding a 340 Indy lite. No tweaking needed he started riding it at 8 they are so light there is nothing to worry about. He is 11 now and is riding a renegade x and has no problem. The 340 is a great stepping stone! He is selling his if you are looking at buying. Send me a PM if your interested.

Sent from my LT15a using Tapatalk 2

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son started with a tnt 440 and all i did was put a over length belt so the engine will still rev up but speed was restricted as he got better i put a shorter belt on and he started at 6yrs old and now he he just bought a 2012 summit 800[/QUOTE

Good info.... my grandson is only 6, but two years ago he beatup a kitty kat so I found him a little 120 summit x (it's in my avatar) and he rode it hard last year but he could handle a little more sled this year so we thought we might mod it.... now I have a little 250 polaris that his dad used to ride 27 years ago but we were afraid to put little fart on it as he has a bit of a speed problem, now that longer belt idea might just be the solution!!! Thx
yes and no slows him down but it might over rev what I did is my kids were riding a 440ss for a few years and all I did is put a hose clamp under the throttle. U can give them a little more throttle with the turn of a scewdriver or u can give them full throttle when u think they are ready. Started my kids sledding when they were 7 and 9 now theu are 18 and 20 and I can't keep up with my son whos 18 and coming into his prime and my daughter can ride with most peaple but I was told that women have a survival mode and men don't. Thank god for men or life would be boring haha, but i've had some great memorys with my kids and I hope for many more, so all the peaple who ride with their kids good for u. Plus even though I ride with alot of other groups I still take my kids even when some men have said no kids then I don't go because my son can ride with the best of them and alot better than most. I taught him to ride smart because a monkey can hit the throttle but can u drive a sled up the hill and i've seen my share of over drinking to smoking pot up their so ride smart and ride another day. Theirs a time and a place to drink and thats not in the mountains.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Kitty Cat for my 4 year old and a Snow Scoot for my 6 year old. I installed a remote kill switch on the Kitty Cat a few years back and it works awesome. It has saved the little ones many times from running into things they shouldn't.

I have drank a lot of beer watching these 2 sleds go in circles on the lake.

Remote Kill Switch Link - 3Built LLC - Remote Engine Shut-offs and Kill Switches

Attachments

• Sleds kids.jpg
    Sleds kids.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 106

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My kids??? Well you just don't want to know what they are riding............My kids are a little long in the tooth for the "typical kiddies sled"..........

Back in '77 they were riding an Elan............enough said!

Top Bottom