Whats this noise?

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 2003 gmc 1500 has a knock in the front end somewhere, i have seaarched many times por it and have not found it yet. i can feel it through the steering wheel?

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Look for a bad CV joint. Put it in 4wd and drive it one way in a circle and then the other...there will be no doubt if it is a CV. It is a pretty common part to wear out.

spike

Reaction score
Lots of clunks turning at low speed?
might be your intermediate steering shaft, a known issue for later models

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen the intermediate steering shaft go on every late model chev/gm truck (about 10) that we have had at work in the last 6 years.... some trucks twice. I had it go on my personal truck at about 60000km. Off warranty will cost roughly $700 to replace with OEM, but another guy at work who is in to off-roading showed me an article in a magazine that talked about replacing it with an aftermarket unit that is supposed to be much better. The article said that some people had replaced them at the dealer and only got 20000km out of the replacement - yikes! I hope that this issue is fixed in the new body style....

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Have you properly inspected the sway bar bushings, control arm bushings, link kits, axle joints, ball joints, etc??? You should probably take it in and at least get it diagnosed, and that will at least put your mind at ease........ It could be a hundred different things, including body mounts, steering column couplers, joints, bearings...... I could go on and on....... Just pull the truck up to the screen and maybe we can diagnose it??? Lol .......... You are worrying yourself over something that would probably only cost 30 -50 bucks to diagnose i bet!!!!

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reach under your hood and grab the steering shaft and try to shake it. if there's play there I would suspect the ISS or in my case it is the column bearing. I know of CHEAP fixes for each issue.

let us know.

M7 Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of clunks turning at low speed?
might be your intermediate steering shaft, a known issue for later models

^^^ what he said.. same problem with our tahoe, dealer told us to grease it.. if you put a new one on its gonna do the same thing

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 04 Silverado had a clunk when turning at slow speeds, was the body mounts and the dealer sold me basically a piece of wax paper you slide in between the mount and the body

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You wonder why vehicle sales are down to 1946 levels, last year every gm in northern AB and BC was in the shop for tranny repairs, front end work. Seems like a never ending story, why don't they quit building trucks on Friday's.
We had a gm a while back and to quiet the god awful engine noises coming from under the hood we just threw a handful of peanuts in there.
Hoohaw.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
You wonder why vehicle sales are down to 1946 levels, last year every gm in northern AB and BC was in the shop for tranny repairs, front end work. Seems like a never ending story, why don't they quit building trucks on Friday's.
We had a gm a while back and to quiet the god awful engine noises coming from under the hood we just threw a handful of peanuts in there.
Hoohaw.

I think thats why most new vehicles come from factory with decent stereos. Just crank the tunes and you can't hear all the awful noises:d:d

M7 Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hoohaw.

the "lemons" as you would call them are either being built on friday or monday.. haha

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like every manufacturer has a few problems in their line up, Fridays just seem to be a bad day to build trucks in general, or is that Monday thru Friday.

M7 Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like every manufacturer has a few problems in their line up, Fridays just seem to be a bad day to build trucks in general, or is that Monday thru Friday.

fridays cause everyone wants to go drink and mondays cause everyone is hungover hahaa

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyway to tell what day your truck was built on?:d, Bought a brand new Sonoma ZR2 5 years ago and it was a lemon from day one, well just picked up a new 09 sierra, fingers crossed.

Top Bottom