What's the best skies these days.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know guys this has been discussed awhile ago but seem to get mixed reveiws on the stock DS skies. I have ran the Simmons but don't care for them on the XP.
Going to change and was leaning towards SLP Powder Pros.
Thoughts and comments would be great as haven't ran them before or anything other than Simmons.
Thanks in advance:)

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never liked the Simmons. Great trail ski.

I didn't like the DS's last year. Rode a 2011 last year with 6.9 Pilots and had no issues, felt great. Rode another sled the same weekend with DS and it wasn't as great handling in deep snow. I didn't get tons of time on the DS equiped sled though. I'm dumping my DS for some SLP SLT's. Not quite as wide as the PowderPros.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I know guys this has been discussed awhile ago but seem to get mixed reveiws on the stock DS skies. I have ran the Simmons but don't care for them on the XP.
Thoughts and comments would be great as haven't ran them before or anything other than Simmons.

Thoughts and comments.....1. I know the pilot 6.9 is SUPER popular still. 2.You spelt "ski" wrong multiple times.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Make some 1/8" thick stainless steel plates to bolt on to your Simmons in place of the saddles. These plate should have studs inserted and welded to offset the original saddles outward by 3/4". This moves the skis inward flush to the spindle on the outer ski edge. Now you will love the Simons and even can run the sway bar. To then take some weight off the skis, update the ski shock or drop its upper mount position by 7/8".

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DS, dont really care for these skies too much. Longer track sleds they just dont turn as well as the 6.9's in my opinion. The SLP SLTs, these are like the old ultra lites they had back in the mid 90's, i didnt like them. Feels like a arctic cat m7 ski, dont work worth a ch!t. The simmons gen 3's we where running last year, the keel on these ones is really deep, they grab great and float. Almost too aggressive though, though of shaving it down to the older gen 1 or a little less, probably work good. My opinion is the pilot or a modified gen 3 simmons

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so anyone else look at skis?

I might just get another set of Pilots for the '12. I don't want to take the set off my '09.

I looked at Slydogs and saw some bad reviews on them. The C&A's, they are still and options. The SLT's, I am starting to put them at the bottom of my list.

Sucks not being able to have all these skis to try and going off what some people say works and doesn't work. I know my 6.9 Pilots work so thats where I stand.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teth Air is right on the concept. Another option is to buy a 2011 or 12 and run the Simmons. The narrower ski stance makes the Simmons and the XP a great match.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these are awesome skis, know a bunch of people running them and not any complaints yet. customer service rocks too

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Buck50, MOD skis have been on my sleds for the last couple years. I like the fact that they hold a carve without washing out and also have great bite to them. Lance is great to work with and makes a great product. He also rides with a skidoo, and pretty sure he knows his product works well with skidoo sleds.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any long term rides on the Mods? Do they cup over time? I have heard of them, but never tried a sled with them. I like keeping buisness in Canada too.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have around 3k miles on mine and they are the same shape as the day I bought them. I have a lot of abuse on them as I am not a great rider by any means, and they have held up for sure. They are not Canada anymore, they are now out of Wisc. pretty much being hand built out of Lance's garage. Quality control is great and customer service too being a small opperation...

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally like the 6.9 pilots, I tried the DS on my 11 etec and it wanted to push in the turns on the trail and found that they didn't want to float on the snow like i wanted because they are narrower than the 6.9,the ds is heavier and the DS is not as durable as the 6.9. I put 6.9's on my 2011 and it made a world of difference.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone and looks like what i have is what i will keep running the 6.9 with woodys doolly on the bottom. Takes all the darting out on the trails and bits well for running big tracks.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you measure the DS you would finds its the same width as the 6.9's and they are actually lighter then the 6.9's, so there's not really anyway they can float less then the 6.9's

HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the Powder pros with the Carls cut on the rear, I really like them, i have run simmons in the past and found they push quite a bit in the corners on the trail, i think this is because XP's turn flat and the design of the simmons is ment for them to to be on a angle to utilize the concave on the ski, just my two cents.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love 6.9s. I have ran them on a few sleds now. I do often think about trying something different but that's as far as it gets. I am going to give the new ds skis an honest try and if they don't work out I already have a set of pilots waiting on my wall.

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another one for mods. awesome skis! ive had two sets, never "cupped" or anything. just killed em on summer rocks :) small price to pay for riding in july or aug

Top Bottom