Whats the Best Pump gas

okleyguy

Reaction score
Upgraded to a boondocker pump gas turbo M8 this year set at 6Lbs of boost the guy I bought the sled off always ran shell gas with no problems. Whats your thoughts on other brands and what do most guys run. I used to always run Mohawk in my old sleds without turbos. :confused:

Fuel Fire

Reaction score
Mohawk on 2 strokes.... and no problems? Heavy ethanol blended gas has always given me problems, especially on my motorcycles.
Chevron has got a good 94 octane gas.

okleyguy

Reaction score
Mohawk on 2 strokes.... and no problems? Heavy ethanol blended gas has always given me problems, especially on my motorcycles.
Chevron has got a good 94 octane gas.

We don't have a Chevron here down in the Medicine Hat. And i dont think there is one in the pass either.:mad:

Hooligen

Reaction score
My opinion and this is only my opinion, hopfully don't start a pissing match. These sleds(2 strokes) are designed to run pump gas out of the box, if you go adding more air to the motor via turbo, why not give more gas? If you wanna run at 6lbs great and if your worried about your pump fuel quality and cost give it even 10 or 20% av or race, just to bring your fuel up to par with the air. I would bet a box a beer that at 6lbs adding that fuel would feel like another .5-1lbs of boost, maybe more and its not costing that much more. :) IMO

sledhead80

Reaction score
IMO shell is the best, cheveron 94 is oxygenated and when running my Yamaha turbo (which I don't own anymore) it would mess with my air fuel numbers a bit. Mohawk and husky is the same gas, lots of ethonal, BAD! If I couldn't get shell my next choice would be petro can.

teddybear26x

Reaction score
not answering your question but just to let all you know if you haven't been through the pass lately the ESSO station that is beside Tim Hortons has been turned into a Shell gas station so you can stop there to fill up the tanks and jerry's. FYI

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
My opinion and this is only my opinion, hopfully don't start a pissing match. These sleds(2 strokes) are designed to run pump gas out of the box, if you go adding more air to the motor via turbo, why not give more gas? If you wanna run at 6lbs great and if your worried about your pump fuel quality and cost give it even 10 or 20% av or race, just to bring your fuel up to par with the air. I would bet a box a beer that at 6lbs adding that fuel would feel like another .5-1lbs of boost, maybe more and its not costing that much more. :) IMO

I'll bet ya a box o beer that adding higher octane AV gas, at the same boost pressure, wouldn't increase the HP at all. It doesn't work like that. I'm not tryin to be a smart arse but I will be waiting for that box o beer;) lol

I used to only run Petro Canada in my TM8 before I started cranking the boost up. Stay away from the ethanol Mohawk crap though, unless you like wrenching.

Last edited:

Hooligen

Reaction score
I'll bet ya a box o beer that adding higher octane AV gas, at the same boost pressure, wouldn't increase the HP at all. It doesn't work like that. I'm not tryin to be a smart arse but I will be waiting for that box o beer;) lol

Which dyno shop ya wanna meet at? Bring your turbo I'll bring the beer. I would really like to hear the explanation behind better fuel not making more power at the same boost and how it doesnt work like that.
Not being a prick, just wanna hear the background for this.
I like Budwieser! :d:beer:

dangerm1000

Reaction score
I don't know about power but higher octane fuel is more stable to let you run more advanced timing, higher compresion and so forth with out pre-ignition so all being equal i don't think it would make more power.Thats how i understand it correct me if i am wrong. I typically run shell in my piped m1000 and no issue so far.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know about power but higher octane fuel is more stable to let you run more advanced timing, higher compresion and so forth with out pre-ignition so all being equal i don't think it would make more power.Thats how i understand it correct me if i am wrong. I typically run shell in my piped m1000 and no issue so far.

That sums it up in a nut shell. pre-ignition Detonation Pinging, all bad things for your engine. Higher octane fuel has a slower burn rate. Just like the difference between Black Powder used in muskets and smokeless powder the powder used in modern bullets. Black powder explodes and smokeless powder burns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom