Whats everyone using for radios??

drew17

Reaction score
rode with a guy on weekend who had kenwood vhf radios had an extra so i used it absolutely loved it. But for that price not sure if its worth it plus all the registering and licensing. So whats everyone using out in the backcountry?

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I you order off of ebay they will ship from China and you can get the 5watt ones with out any hassle or licensing, our whole group has the same ones. There made by XIANJING Model # XJ-928. There programable for any fsr channel and work great in the mountains. Also there small and fit nice in a handlebar bag, I think there were about 100 a radio and charger

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I purchased the BCA FRS radios (BC Link)

Did some research, Thunderstruck and Maxwell (off site) use these radios and are very happy with them.
Our group will be running them this year and in will post a review later this season.

Sent from my Phone while sitting on the side of the road.....maybe.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I purchased the BCA FRS radios (BC Link)

Did some research, Thunderstruck and Maxwell (off site) use these radios and are very happy with them.
Our group will be running them this year and in will post a review later this season.

Sent from my Phone while sitting on the side of the road.....maybe.

you have a "group"?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Garmin Rino for locating guys in the group with other Rino radios. Baofeng radios for the rest. They are a 5 watt VHF/FRS/GRFS and very good. Amazon.com for 3 of them with external mic for $90. I've had 16 km range in the valley bottom through trees and whatever. Less range over the rocks and hills but awesome little radio. Talk to logging trucks with programmable frequencies, etc.

Amazon.com: baofeng - CB & Two-Way Radios / Portable Audio & Video: Electronics

Throttle-Junkie

Reaction score
I have both, depends on what group I am riding with. There is a few threads and Information around regarding the rhino interfering with the beacons. This was proven with a couple guys in our group at there AST 1 course. (I am not sure what beacon he was wearing) our group is slowly all switching to the VHF Kenwood. I prefer my Kenwood over rhino the range and clarity is far better (should be considering the differences) also like that our group have more options for channels on the Kenwood without all the chit chat from others. Also nice having the Kenwood available on any radio controlled roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baofeng UV-82 here

CHEAP AS DIRT! 5 watt power, pretty good build quality, awesome batteries and accessories, easily programmable with your pc .. VHF / UHF (it'll work with the cheap-o walkies and those BCA radios), program forestry road channels and even SAR channels if you are so inclined.

VHF has a better range in the backcountry, however your walmart cheap walkies (FRS/ GMRS radios) all run on UHF bands. So if you get a dual band one like the UV-82 you can talk to your riding crew on VHF and to the "others" who have cheap walkies at the same time ! without switching back and forth

Sure they need a license, but not if they are used for an emergency .. noone is going to give you grief for using them in the backcountry. You could even program your local repeaters in it if you care to get your license and talk to your buddies in the next riding zone

You will probably get in trouble if you come home from the bar and start making knock knock jokes on the fire / safety channels though.

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Baofeng UV-82 here

CHEAP AS DIRT! 5 watt power, pretty good build quality, awesome batteries and accessories, easily programmable with your pc .. VHF / UHF (it'll work with the cheap-o walkies and those BCA radios), program forestry road channels and even SAR channels if you are so inclined.

VHF has a better range in the backcountry, however your walmart cheap walkies (FRS/ GMRS radios) all run on UHF bands. So if you get a dual band one like the UV-82 you can talk to your riding crew on VHF and to the "others" who have cheap walkies at the same time ! without switching back and forth

Sure they need a license, but not if they are used for an emergency .. noone is going to give you grief for using them in the backcountry. You could even program your local repeaters in it if you care to get your license and talk to your buddies in the next riding zone

You will probably get in trouble if you come home from the bar and start making knock knock jokes on the fire / safety channels though.

sounds like you *might* be speaking from experience?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Motorola cp200 With hand held mic that clips onto my back pack. I keep the radio in my pack.

you can easily grab the mic with gloves and talk.

Use UHF radios in the back country for rough terrain the UHF is better. VHF is more for line of sight communications.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Blew a bunch of money on a Rhino 655t "top of the line apperently". then I bought the BCA radio... Havent touched the 655t since... except for the odd GPS purpose. JUNK! There is NO volume control which I think is rediculous as it is quiet to the point I cant hear it when its in my pocket.... As there is no handset available for them. The BCA radio I can hear go off even if Im at WOT because the handset is mounted on my shoulder strap. You dont need to take gloves/helmets off to use it... The 655t is a mad scramble to get my gear off and get it out of the pocket... and usually by the time I stop riding... take my helmet / gloves off... fish it out of my pocket... The person has started riding again! NOT being bias... tried both.... The BCA radio is awesome! I think the 655T would be much better for an ATV purpose.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Using a Puxing px-888k
Dual band like most Chinese radios. The biggest problem for me is I cannot program it with my computer (software issues). I have gotten good at manually inputting the channels that I need. Have external mics for them. Work ok.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Using a Puxing px-888k
Dual band like most Chinese radios. The biggest problem for me is I cannot program it with my computer (software issues). I have gotten good at manually inputting the channels that I need. Have external mics for them. Work ok.

Have you tried this: Home - CHIRP

It doesn't directly list the Puxing PX888, but I'm pretty sure it's compatible.

drew17

Reaction score
Baofang looks interesting I had seen them online but seems to me like a little difficult to setup but work great. I'm kinda torn between those and the bca ones but probably a lot easier to talk my riding buddies into 45 bucks rather then 145 lol

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baofang looks interesting I had seen them online but seems to me like a little difficult to setup but work great. I'm kinda torn between those and the bca ones but probably a lot easier to talk my riding buddies into 45 bucks rather then 145 lol

They are if you use the crappy manual that comes with them. You can download a better one here: The (Chinese) Radio Documentation Project

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good info, all. The other half of this thread needs to be, what channels should be have programmed into the radio for each riding area? I would imagine there are set S&R frequencies and set logging road frequencies that a person would want to program in or at least have on a piece of paper.

Top Bottom