What's better Raptors or Evols

Indy245

Reaction score
Like the title states what is better Raptors or Evols for ride comfort? The Raptors are triple rate springs with reservoirs. Looking for plushness and bottoming resistance. Going to buy a KMOD and wondering what people's "opinions" are? Also if applicable are these an upgrade over the stock WE on a '13 pro?

Thanks!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I have raptors in my K-Mod suspension in my 2008 Nytro I would not go with anything else period ever!!! However, I have Fox EvolR's in my Skinz front end kit and I am very very happy with them that's because the Fox shocks I haveare built to meet the specific requirements of the job they are intended to perform in the front end kit of the Nytro’s. They are not an off the shelf shock. They are not meant to be used for any other purpose than in the front ends of the Nytro’s.

These are not an OEM shock, they will not give you the headache of an OEM shock. We have an M series sled with Fox shocks in the rear that has given us nothing but problems. The difference is, is that is a Fox shock built to OEM specifications. The OEM specifies the parameters and Fox builds them to their specifications nothing more nothing less. That is the difference between the shocks you get from an OEM and the ones you get as part of your Nytro front end package.

If you are getting an EvolR shock built by Fox to meet the specific requirements of the K-Mod suspension then you are going to be good to go. If I were doing it again I would spend the extra money and get the upgrade in a heartbeat but that's just me.

Jan

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Raptors. Evols are alright but a nuisance as you can imagine an air shock would be with the temp and elevation changes a sled sees in a day.

Cpt.Ron

Reaction score
We have installed Raptors on a couple of our sleds and are finding them to be excellant. Definately superior to the WE. A dramatic performance improvement to handling and ride!!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have evol Rs all around on my sled. Definitely night and day over stock. But nothing beats the feel of a coilover. If I were doing it again I would probably go raptors. Ive never ridden them, but have never heard anyone describe them as anything less than amazing.

Indy245

Reaction score
Raptors it is!

So is the KMOD skid worth it on a stock sled - I'm thinkin no, any real world experience?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Raptors it is!

So is the KMOD skid worth it on a stock sled - I'm thinkin no, any real world experience?

Also wondering this- perhaps you should start another thread and see if we get answers :)

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put on Exit-1 and they rock. I think either Raptor or Exit are the way to go.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Is the K-Mod worth it on a stock sled? Really it's what you want out of your riding experience? The skies the limit on what and where you spend your money on your sled. For some people it is the power they will get out of a turbo for others like me I would rather spend the money on the handling issues so that I can enjoy a full day riding without feeling like I am going to keel over at the end of the day. It depends how your sled performs in stock mode. It depends on how well the different components of your sled work together. In my case while a stock rear suspension does okay with a Skinz front end kit the K-Mod has totally enhanced the performance of the sled by partnering 2 great products together. On those sleds handling is 50% front suspension and 50% rear. It comes down to what you want to spend your money on.

It is the quick adjustability of the K-Mod suspension that will take you from varying terrian on a daily basis that is a great feature to have as well.

For me personally before we ever moved in the direction of becoming dealers for K-Mod we spent a full year with this skid so we became well aquainted with how it performed in different situations. I think some of you remember me raving about it last year and I maintained last year and I still maintain today that the first 2 things that I will switch on any sled I ride from here on out will be slapping a K-Mod suspension in and Airframe running boards on.

Jan

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I had a talk with Kevin from K- Mod and this is what I learned about the shocks that come with the K-Mod suspensions and the difference between the 2 choices of shock packages. Both of the shocks on the rear of the K MOD skid are made specific to the length and stroke of the coupling skid whether they are from Fox or Raptor, the front track shock on the Fox set up is a Float with Float 2 seal head and piston but not a reverser spring like the IFS Float 2s , so Fox wouldn't let him call it a Float 2 then but now they will. The rear shock is an Evol with the rebound clicker.
The Fox shocks work very well and for the average guy will be just fine(4lbs lighter also). They are just not as adjustable and versatile for all types of riding as the Raptors. They valve the Evol specific to the riders weight.

Jan

Top Bottom