what year of Kodiak did I get?

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I traded a couple of old yamaha sleds for what I was told was a 1999 Kodiak 400. The bike seems to run well so I am not complaining. This is going to be left at the cabin for us to just fool around on, not any serious back country quad adventures.

Anyways, i have purchased a manual and gone online to figure out how to get it to go into and out of reverse easier. The manuals claim there should be a lever located next to the recoil on the engine. I have a knob located on the front fender located to the right of the steering column.

It is labeled "reverse" and it will put the bike into reverse. I can't figure how to get it out of reverse without shutting the bike down.

ANy help would be appreciated.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its at the cabin. I am headed there this weekend. I fI don't have an answer by then, I will definatley send you the sn.

Thanks

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I traded a couple of old yamaha sleds for what I was told was a 1999 Kodiak 400. The bike seems to run well so I am not complaining. This is going to be left at the cabin for us to just fool around on, not any serious back country quad adventures.

Anyways, i have purchased a manual and gone online to figure out how to get it to go into and out of reverse easier. The manuals claim there should be a lever located next to the recoil on the engine. I have a knob located on the front fender located to the right of the steering column.

It is labeled "reverse" and it will put the bike into reverse. I can't figure how to get it out of reverse without shutting the bike down.

apply either the foot brake or use your left hand brake. if that doesnt work look at the adjustment on the cable for yur shifter, u can adjust it there. actually you can adjust to so much you dont have to use the foot brake, but that might not be good :( as it technically will go into reverse before its full stopped.

hope that helps you out. the kodiak was 1st made in 93, if its got square headlites its a 93 -95 vintage, round headlites 95/96 and on. course they came out with one that doesnt have low range and thats a different duck....

any questions let me know, id be glad to help...

T

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Step on the rear brake lever when shifting into and out of reverse. I gave my 2001 Kodiak to my son(s) and the gear configuration is the same as yours.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

sorry i didnt read the reverse knob, just shift it into 1st. the cable adjust advice was the high low model and yours only has a single range.

T;)

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
HERE IS YOUR SERIAL # BREAK-DOWN..... PRETTY COOL:

VIN: JY4AH05W4XA008714
Year: -1
Make: Yamaha
Model: YFM400
Engine:

Vehicle Information: Country: JAPAN
Vehicle Type: Motorcycle
Emissions Code: Emissions World
Check Digit: 4
Model Year: 1999
Assy. Plant: Hamamatsu, Japan
Production Seq. Number: 008714
Engine Displacement: 251-400 cc
Motorcycles Type: Moto-4 All Terrain Vehicle
Fuel Type: Gasoline
Mobile6 Class.: MC
Sales Name: Kodiak 4x4
Manufacturer: Yamaha Motor Co. Ltd.

HOPE THAT HELPS...........

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HERE IS YOUR SERIAL # BREAK-DOWN..... PRETTY COOL:

VIN: JY4AH05W4XA008714
Year: -1
Engine:

Vehicle Information: Country: JAPAN
Vehicle Type: Motorcycle
Emissions Code: Emissions World
Check Digit: 4
Model Year: 1999
Assy. Plant: Hamamatsu, Japan
Production Seq. Number: 008714
Engine Displacement: 251-400 cc
Motorcycles Type: Moto-4 All Terrain Vehicle
Fuel Type: Gasoline
Mobile6 Class.: MC
Sales Name: Kodiak 4x4
Manufacturer: Yamaha Motor Co. Ltd.

HOPE THAT HELPS...........

thats a little vague isnt it.....jk, you know how find the full info sheets...
good on you.. must have connections on the inside.....:cool:

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just back from the cabin. The brake thing was the key. Thanks guys

btw, i adjusted the clutch and everything is working real good now.

Top Bottom