What type of DEF?

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven’t had a diesel since 08 and just picked up a new duramax. Curious what everyone is using for DEF? Any stuff to stay away from?

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a dodge. Used their crap. Never had an issue. Never tried any other stuff as they CLAIM there’s is better...blah blah blah, warranty..blah blah blah.​
Asked the service manager “if I’m in the middle of no where, where there isn't a dealership around, what do you or Dodge suggest I use.”
Didn’t answer....

Eventually I deleted.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever is the freshest, and preferably the jugs that come in the cardboard box. Sunlight degrades the Urea in DEF and can cause issues with plugging up filter, pumps, and injectors, it can also throw codes as degraded DEF doesn't work as well.

Reactions: zal

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys thinking I will the gm stuff until the warranty is up.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever is the freshest, and preferably the jugs that come in the cardboard box. Sunlight degrades the Urea in DEF and can cause issues with plugging up filter, pumps, and injectors, it can also throw codes as degraded DEF doesn't work as well.

Also avoid the bulk DEF at the bulk stations

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How is there communication between the injectors and the def?

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also avoid the bulk DEF at the bulk stations

I’ve been using the stuff at the pumps what’s the issue with it? If it’s bad I’ll switch to the Ford stuff but didn’t think there was a difference

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Issue with the stuff at pumps is Lazy people and dirty nozzles. Just like a diesel filler nozzle don’t expect great results sticking a dirty nozzle into a clean hole..

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used def from pretty much everywhere. From the pumps, pails we've filled, from a tote in our shop and some that I brought back from the US when I did a trip down to Texas. When I finally used up the stuff from the US I had it for nearly 3 years. It was stored in a shed year round, frozen all winter. Never had an emissions issue due to def.

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever use the motomaster DEF from Canadian tire in a pinch? I’m sure somebody packages it for them.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its all the same crap, over priced pig piss that causes more pollution then it was intended to eliminate. Ever look to see who is making it? Typically oil companies and petro chemical companies. Cash grab

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using the stuff at the pumps what’s the issue with it? If it’s bad I’ll switch to the Ford stuff but didn’t think there was a difference

What do you have shares in packaged overpriced watered down ammonia? Nothing wrong with the cardlock stuff at all, -40 to plus 40 pulling big trailers and flying through blizzards to the mountains, never an issue

Well there you go. Learned something new tonight. Just like covid, everyone has a different opinion or the same. Believe what’s out there or what everyone has experienced. I’d go with what everyone has experienced.

CJD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was using the stuff from greggs. About $11 per 10 litre jug. Best price I could find. I saw the other day they switched brands so I’m not sure if the price changed.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever use the motomaster DEF from Canadian tire in a pinch? I’m sure somebody packages it for them.
Pretty sure their stuff is repackaged by recochem and they supply alot of the places in canada...

Dont forget your bug truck shops most of them all sell in bulk and is usually cheaper than you will pay at the pump... Def has a shelf life of 2 years and is garbage after it freezes.. All our delivery trucks are heated and our customers that we supply bulk to heat their outdoor tanks to keep from freezing

Just a word of warning if someone is pumping for you make sure they put it in the right tank.. Have seen new people fill the fuel tank with def because the caps were side by side and they did not realize what the colors meant.. Huge bill to have everything flushed

Top Bottom