What Truck To Buy?

Tippmannr

Reaction score
Hey guys. Im in the market for a new vehicle. I am looking at either a ~07 Duramax (hopefully 7.5), an ~08 Tundra or a Ecoboost.
I make about 3 trips west a year (I'm from Saskatchewan), pulling a 30' enclosed trailer. Would the Ecoboost or Tundra be able to handle this load safely? And would the two half tons be able to handle a sled deck if i stuck bags under them?
Thanks.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled my buddies 28' enclosed around Edmonton one day with my 04 Chev2500 gasser, was incredibly hard on fuel and overall a miserable experience. Pulled it again a few weeks ago with my 08 F350 diesel and it was like it wasnt even there.

A deck on a half ton is a no-no if you want to go into BC, and will be overweight on either half ton.

Tippmannr

Reaction score
Im all for a diesel, and intact my dad owns a 2011 D-Max, but the only thing is if i have engine troubles i'll be off warranty, and the ride isn't quite as good.
Thanks.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run a 07 duramax and love it,a half ton is overloaded with 2 sleds on a sled deck,i tried it with my old truck and went to the scales,did not pass and that was with no sled gear. know that i run a deisel for pulling trailers i would not want to go back to a gas engine,

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ecoboost will have no issued pulling that trailer. but you will not be able to go into bc with a sled deck. with two sleds anyways. You might pass with just one.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of info on this on another thread .

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f77/best-gasser-towing-63556.html

Hey guys. Im in the market for a new vehicle. I am looking at either a ~07 Duramax (hopefully 7.5), an ~08 Tundra or a Ecoboost.
I make about 3 trips west a year (I'm from Saskatchewan), pulling a 30' enclosed trailer. Would the Ecoboost or Tundra be able to handle this load safely? And would the two half tons be able to handle a sled deck if i stuck bags under them?
Thanks.

rgashkei

Reaction score
Go Diesel. My 3500 Duramax loaded, was really supprised how much those sleds on the deck sat the truck down and dropped my mileage considerably. But still pulled nice, wouldn't want to try that with a Tundra.

a1.jpg

Tippmannr

Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys.
But what about without a deck? It just seems like a big hassle to be clunking around and paying the expensive repair bills if I'm only gonna tow 5% of the time....
Would it be able to handle a 6500 pound trailer through the hills?
Sorry for all the questions haha.
Thanks.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I had to finally go with a truck the can do it all. She's six years old today and still going strong. Best truck I've ever owned. You'll see that sooner than later it will happen to you :beer:

Attachments

• 2006 5.9 Dually.jpg
    2006 5.9 Dually.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_1014.jpg

I tow 4 or 5 times a year. The rest of the time I'm driving to and from work. My Eco has absolutly no problem towing my 27 foot enclosed. I'm typically getting 22 to 24 l/100 km with the loaded trailer. That's not too far off from my old F350 diesel and the Eco pulls it every bit as good. For how I use my Eco, I have no regrets and I don't miss my diesel.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am the minority i guess. I have a dmax but feel i don't use it enough to justify the cost. Downfalls are expensive services, tire wear is definitely higher on a almost 8000lb vehicle too, and to me just feels like a heavy vehicle driving around town. It rides like chit on rougher roads...it is a dream on the hwy though...i will give it that and pulls really well.

IMO the dmax is a great engine and reasonable mileage but the rest of the truck is a disappointment. Had an ignition system failure at about 65000km that cost me almost 1000 bucks, just found out my box rails are cracked, the tranny lines all leak (which apparently happens on almost every one) $800 repair, the tailgate latch seized up and needs to be replaced, the door hinges most of the rollers seem to be seizing (2 of the 4 doors), brake caliper cover rattled loose and needs to be fixed. Truck is like 80% or more light duty and highway miles. The 4X4 had issues and wouldn't engage but finally fixed after being to the shop many times.

I would probably sell it...07.5 dmax SLT dark grey black leather interior with 149k. Make me an offer haha...i'm probably not the best salesman.

GM warranty sucks...they haven't warrantied a single thing on this truck. Maybe it's the local dealer. My brother is a welder in GP and had chev welding rig...he warned me not to by it...said they had good engines and everything else junk. That was 4.5years ago...should have listened to him.

Go with the Toyota. Way better built. My other vehicle is a 2000 4 runner...260000km. Just fixed my bumpers and sway bar ends. I beat on it pretty good as a work truck and nothing but regular services for the first 260000. Being light after a year the tires still look like new. The diesel goes through a set of winters and summers every 2 years.

i ford i

Reaction score
I am the minority i guess. I have a dmax but feel i don't use it enough to justify the cost. Downfalls are expensive services, tire wear is definitely higher on a almost 8000lb vehicle too, and to me just feels like a heavy vehicle driving around town. It rides like chit on rougher roads...it is a dream on the hwy though...i will give it that and pulls really well.

IMO the dmax is a great engine and reasonable mileage but the rest of the truck is a disappointment. Had an ignition system failure at about 65000km that cost me almost 1000 bucks, just found out my box rails are cracked, the tranny lines all leak (which apparently happens on almost every one) $800 repair, the tailgate latch seized up and needs to be replaced, the door hinges most of the rollers seem to be seizing (2 of the 4 doors), brake caliper cover rattled loose and needs to be fixed. Truck is like 80% or more light duty and highway miles. The 4X4 had issues and wouldn't engage but finally fixed after being to the shop many times.

I would probably sell it...07.5 dmax SLT dark grey black leather interior with 149k. Make me an offer haha...i'm probably not the best salesman.

GM warranty sucks...they haven't warrantied a single thing on this truck. Maybe it's the local dealer. My brother is a welder in GP and had chev welding rig...he warned me not to by it...said they had good engines and everything else junk. That was 4.5years ago...should have listened to him.

Go with the Toyota. Way better built. My other vehicle is a 2000 4 runner...260000km. Just fixed my bumpers and sway bar ends. I beat on it pretty good as a work truck and nothing but regular services for the first 260000. Being light after a year the tires still look like new. The diesel goes through a set of winters and summers every 2 years.

If this is any bit relevant I have the 2007.5 half ton gas version of your truck I had troubles with the trans lines as well, I bought it used at 120k and the lines went at 127 ish, havent had any problems since besides regular maintenance, new tires/brakes. 168k; havent seen alot of mileage in 3 years,and debating giving it a tune up/TLC.

Im stuck in the zone where I don't know if i should just get a new truck, or make this one last a few more years then pick up a new one, and im leaning heavily towards a diesel for the towing purposes, but as you said, need to justify the cost, right now I got a quad, that I can barely fit in the back of my truck, but it fits all the same. Im leaning with waiting at the time because insurance for a young guy such as myself and a pickup truck is just horrid, when I hit 25; I catch a good break and it comes down; then I can justify the payment AND high insurance; whereas right now its just insurance because shes bought and paid for and its still running okay; if it aint broke don't fix it right? Interesting debate to read into though.

Not to highjack here, but I recently saw the new concept for the 2013 silverado exterior design. I'm shocked and somewhat dissapointed. Not the direction I had hoped. Punch it into google and see for yourself, spacemans truck?

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oops it's the tranny cooler lines (not tranny lines) that are the problem on mine. If you google it sounds like a very common problem. Unfortunately no warranty either. Some reasonably priced aftermarket kits available.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sort of in the same boat as you ....Its the point where i need to make mine last or buy new and i decided to keep mine for a few more years. I was lookin @ the f250 with the 6.2 have heard lots of good things the truck drove great but for $45000 for the package i want?!?!?!?! im guna wait for a used lariat for 30000 in a few years. The one thing i have decided is that for now im defiantly not going diesel even 10 sled trips a year doesn't justify an extra 10g on the sticker price and misc maintenance later on

If you cant stretch what you have for a while and have the cash check out a 6.2L gasser f250 gettin around 13-16 l/100k when broken in (what ive been hearing)

Last edited:

Jazzygurl

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I don't mean to jump in just to speak my mind persay... Everyone says a diesel is so much more to fix...blah blah blah. But truth be told if you maintain your vehicle you won't have as many issues, this goes for every make model, gas or diesel. Its the same as we always hear certain quads, side by sides don't last, but just like anything else we own if things are taken care of and maintained its likely that they won't live long. I've been running my 2006 Cummins for coming on 3 years now and have never done any extensive work to it. Mind you I take care of my truck and ensure that i only run synthetic engine oil, and i change my filters regularly to not allow particulates back into the engine. I will agree that oil changes cost more but if you do your oil changes yourself its really not that much more & at least you know whats going into your vehicle and which filters are being used!!!!! I love my truck for towing, hauling and even just driving down the road and especially with driving through the mountains. Just my 2cents... hope any of ya don't take it in the wrong context either :-D

Last edited:

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same truck with the same KM's and the only issue I've had is the Tranny cooler lines at around 80000kms, i think? Which the dealer replaced.
My truck was used on some decently ruff oil field roads four 5 years but is now retired. Hopefully nothing crops up as warranty is up, had the shop go through it and outside of the mud underneath they said she was in good shape.

I geuss it depends what day they get built on, lol.:beer:

Top Bottom