What to watch for on a 2004 vertical escape?

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
A friend was just asking for advise a bout buying a used escape and seeing as I don't know to much about these sleds I figured I would get some other opinions. Are these descent sleds? Will it be suitable for a little back country riding, and some easier stuff with his wife? Are they knowen to problematic, or reliable? Any advice would be useful. Thanks in advance.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
800 had crank issues i believe. they are an ok sled, harder than the newer stuff to move around of course. i myself if i had to go back to a trailing arm sled it would be a yamaha mountain max 700.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
800 had crank issues i believe. they are an ok sled, harder than the newer stuff to move around of course. i myself if i had to go back to a trailing arm sled it would be a yamaha mountain max 700.

IMHO the vertical mistake handles better than the 700 mountain max (I have both sleds in my collection and if it wasn't for the sweet sound of the triple... the yammy tank would be gone), but yes, the Yamaha has definitely the better engine... The main thing to look for on the escape is any damage or ripple in the tunnel in the foot wells, just ahead of the front bolt holding the skid in.... If there was a hard hit or damaged trailing arm, it usually shows up there... The 800 cranks were not so much the problem, the main problem was the PTO bearing, usually it failed first, then took out the crank... If it has not had the upgrade crank (heavier PTO bearing) then it might be due for it... The original cranks usually made around 3000 miles before they failed, I had 5 of those machines, all 03 and 04 and never lost a crank but I also changed cranks at around 2800 miles.. The biggest cause of engine failure that I seen on the 800 was from the water/oil pump belt as most folks did not change them... I changed mine every other year... Hope this helps.......... :)

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't mean to hijack your thread monsterxlr8... but leadfoot33, if you take a notion to go back to trailing arms..... I know where there is a Mountain Max 700 in exceptional shape that one could acquire... :)

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A friend was just asking for advise a bout buying a used escape and seeing as I don't know to much about these sleds I figured I would get some other opinions. Are these descent sleds? Will it be suitable for a little back country riding, and some easier stuff with his wife? Are they knowen to problematic, or reliable? Any advice would be useful. Thanks in advance.
Send "Highfly" a PM, he has a couple of them. I'm sure he could give your friend some advice on them.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep I do have two of them, VERY happy with them. No issues at all so far. We are fairly new riders, wanted to get into the sport. Couldn't afford two new sleds and found these two with low miles on them so scooped them up. I'm into both sleds and a new sled trailer for just a bit more than a brand new sled. The 600 has 1600 miles on it and the 800 has 600 miles on it now (had 234 miles on it when I bought it last year). I was worried about the 800 crank so I had the clutch balanced as a precautionary measure. I asked about getting the bottom end done on it but was told to drive it. "IF" I felt a vibration SHUT IT DOWN and tow it back to the truck. If I did that then it would cost the same money doing it now or waiting till something happens "IF" it happens. Where it gets expensive is when you feel a vibration and you drive it out and end up taking the crank out and the case. The 600 is a 144, the 800 a 151. My 15 year old daughter is on the 600 and is doing great on it. Better and better each time she's out on it. We trail ride and have been out in the mountains a few times this year. I took the sway bar off the 600 just to see if it would help my daughter side hilling etc. I liked the way it handled so much I will be taking mine off. But to each their own. Extremely stable sled on the trails and easy to handle. I'll go hell bent down a trail and look back and my daughter is right on my tail. The only mods I have done to both of them is handlebar risers. other than that bone stock.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Vertical Escapes are an awsome sled, yes the 800 do have a crank bearing problem with the PTO bearing. But there is a cure to the issue with a updated bearing. Something to watch for.
They are exceptionaly good in deep snow and the rear skids are very good.
The biggest performance issue i have with them is power, but they do mod up quite easily for more, if your wanting to spend the $$.

If i was in your friends place, i personnaly would look for an Cat M1 900, same vintage 2004-2005. They do ride a little harder then the Vertical but have ALOT more power, very reliable(motors are quite solid) and light. If he finds a "titanium" model they are lighter. The basic model is about 10lbs heavier. Both are in the same weight scale as the Vertical, between 510 and 525lbs. 510lbs would be the M1 titanium with a 162".
I've had both these sled's the Vertical escape 159 and the M1 titanium 162.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the sled is for his wife then power shouldn't be an issue. Rider will probably be 100lbs lighter :) That's a HUGE performance gain ;-)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Highfly, i would highly recommend you get the crank done before it blow's. Who ever gave you that advise wasn't looking after you. If the crank goes your going to have to replace it with another, it can go instantly especialy after a good pull before you realize it. If your lucky you might realize something is wrong.
To do the update is very basic as long as your current crank is good and the cases are not damage. Something you cannot control if she blows.
I donnot know if your a mountian rider but if you are, that alone should make you reconcider cause in many many cases you cannot tow. Its a chopper ride out, the cost alone is enough to make sure she won't go bad. Food for thought.

ps, doesnt the post say "with his wife and not for his wife"?....confused

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Highfly, i would highly recommend you get the crank done before it blow's. Who ever gave you that advise wasn't looking after you. If the crank goes your going to have to replace it with another, it can go instantly especialy after a good pull before you realize it. If your lucky you might realize something is wrong.
To do the update is very basic as long as your current crank is good and the cases are not damage. Something you cannot control if she blows.
I donnot know if your a mountian rider but if you are, that alone should make you reconcider cause in many many cases you cannot tow. Its a chopper ride out, the cost alone is enough to make sure she won't go bad. Food for thought.

ps, doesnt the post say "with his wife and not for his wife"?....confused
Yeah I know. Had the debate. I talked with "Indy Dan" down in the US who said drive it but monitor it. Is this something I can do or is machining involved?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like Lund said.

Do the crank now and know its good.

A heli ride will pay for it to get done.

sent from my I phone azz kicking HTC

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack your thread monsterxlr8... but leadfoot33, if you take a notion to go back to trailing arms..... I know where there is a Mountain Max 700 in exceptional shape that one could acquire... :)

hahaha trust me i will never go back to a trailing arm sled :p but i just loved my mountain max, i loved the way it handled (could be i had my suspension setup vs the escape that was never adjusted for rider weight)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know. Had the debate. I talked with "Indy Dan" down in the US who said drive it but monitor it. Is this something I can do or is machining involved?
I believe the case has to be machined to adapt the new bearing design. All i know is its a highly recommended upgrade and resolves the crank issue.
A good shop will also check, balance the crank if needed, it probably will need it. It seems like a costly job, but its not compared to blowing up. If memory serve me right it was around $1000 for the shop to do it PLUS they supplied a new crank. If you supply your crank and its good it should be cheaper. That was Mongoose in BC.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i was in a possition that i could not afford a new or near new sled, the Escape would be near the top for choice of older sled to buy.
My choices, sticking with 2005 and older: #1 Cats M1 900, #2 Polaris Vertical escape 800, #3 Ski-doo Rev. 800. All extra long tracks, 159+.
All awsome sleds in their own way.

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. My riding buddy has decided to take the cash he was going to spend anyways and put it down on a new cat I believe the m8000 limited. Time will tell if its a good choice or not.

Top Bottom