What to do?

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Road couple weeks ago - Have 2008 800XP - 163 clutched , head, can and geared. Ran with a few stock 11 etec , 154, 163s, an 08Xp stock and a 10XP. Also a 09 M1000. Snow was very heavy/wet - great traction. My sled ran very well against the other XPs , the etecs were comparable , but stock except for cans. On a climb I could pull away from the etecs , 08 /10 XP were also stock and were way behind. The m1000 153 was ahead but should be with the mods it had - claimed 200hp. My question is I know the etecs should be better - but there were stock , so if you clutched and increased hp a bit would the etecs be that much better than what I'm running. My delema 2012 or not?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have spent a bit of time on a 2011 etec.

My plan is to get a 2012 to replace my 09 for a few reasons.

The minor differences in the chassis set up is a good upgrade. I could do a front skid shock relocate and do a narrow front end change as well but then there is the motor. The 2011 sleds took a bit to get used to, but they work very well and I feel much less fatigue at the end of the day.

Some people I have read are not sold on the etec. The etec motor in stock forum with some clutching/gearing is much better than my 09 with the same mods. Also the sled has that nice smooth throttle pull.

The 2012's already come geared with decent gears. Still room for improvement though. Clutching is whatever you prefer to run.

I don't know what track you have on your '08, but if its the stock track you are gaining there with a new sled as well, or can even opt and get a camo extreme.

So I would go for the new sled. If its in the books, keep the '08 for a backup.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry I did forget to mention I upraded the track - its a take-off from an 11 - nonported - I think it also made a difference with floatation - less trenching! would have like to ride a 11 compared to mine - just to see the difference in handling. Would really have considered a 12 and maybe still going to - just wished they would have put a little more cc's under the hood :)

snotwister

Reaction score
Have you had the engine /crankshaft done in your 08 yet?If so then your O.K.; but if not then your on a time bomb and that would definatley make your decision much easier.Good luck.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only had it apart once - around 1800miles - just did top end - has 3500 on it now - still runs strong - will need to do it again!

Top Bottom