what sled should i buy

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can not go wrong with any new sled you buy. They all handle a little different so try to ride as many as you can. One word of caution, you're going pretty long for your first sled. Not many people "really" need more than the 150-155 track length. If you really want the 160's you have a bigger market to sell the 150's if you want to upsize latter. Good luck and never regret your choice, you'll have a hoot on what ever you buy. Oh ya, don't forget to get your avy gear AND training.

You know what, if you think your going to do a lot more ditch banging field riding then mountain climbing. I would really go with the Renegade Backcountry. They come with an 1 3/4 track. Way better to ride through the field and ditches because of the ski stance width. My dad has one, and I love it. You would be able to ride the mountains with it too. It's a sweet sled. Go with the 800R 147" track. You will not be disappointed. And if you decide on a cat, I saw some new 08's still in Calgary.

albertabrute

Reaction score
well i'm planning on getting my training and gear here pretty soon and thanks once again for the info guys do u know what the summit x is going for right now i don't mind paying for the price of the machine but do u know where are some good deals at

Sky199

Reaction score
If your mountain climbing you souls just go with the m8 and if you want to go a bit faster in the future just turbo it or get it potted or I think the kitty 800HCR would get u more places then the doo's

Sky199

Reaction score
If your mountain climbing you souls just go with the m8 and if you want to go a bit faster in the future just turbo it or get it ported or I think the kitty 800HCR would get u more places then the doo's

Should not souls lol

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i'm planning on getting my training and gear here pretty soon and thanks once again for the info guys do u know what the summit x is going for right now i don't mind paying for the price of the machine but do u know where are some good deals at

I have a hard time believing you will find a NEW 2010 Summit X. I could be wrong.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I have a hard time believing you will find a NEW 2010 Summit X. I could be wrong.

I scoured most of Canada and a good part of the US and the only one I know of is at Grassland Trailer Sales. It is Orange/Black and overpriced in my opinion. I love the X but saw waaaaaay better value in the Everest. I did find the odd Hillclimb, but again, big bucks...

Very happy with the Everest so far...

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I scoured most of Canada and a good part of the US and the only one I know of is at Grassland Trailer Sales. It is Orange/Black and overpriced in my opinion. I love the X but saw waaaaaay better value in the Everest. I did find the odd Hillclimb, but again, big bucks...

Very happy with the Everest so far...

there's a x at ski-doo here in slave lake it's sittin in there showroom. I would go with the 146 summit it is a good all around sled.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there's a x at ski-doo here in slave lake it's sittin in there showroom. I would go with the 146 summit it is a good all around sled.

a 163 is a better all around mountain sled. you will get sick of that 146 pretty quick. ask me how i know. dont even stop at 154. today that was not nearly enough

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck finding a Summit X...Just pick up the Everest and be done or go with the Cat. If you can test ride both and see what you like...Both are good machines it all comes down to your preference, I'm sure you won't be dissappointed with either one. If you are going to be doing lots of riding in the mountians go with @ least the 153" - 154" machine...I agree with Maxwell on the last post longer is better...Can never have too much track...lol. Good luck and post what you end up buying.

powerclaw

Reaction score
if you do your reserch you will find that arctic cat has the least amount of problems with their drive train, and the diamond drive is tough as nails. they are also a very well balanced sled and all the power you will need, at least for a couple of years. ( you always want more power ) if your thinking of mountain riding a couple times of year then i would advise on buying a 2009 or 2010 crossfire 800 as this is absolutely the best crossover sled out there. ton of climbing ability with the agility of a trail sled BRUNO

powderpusher

Reaction score
i would recomend the m8 i rode the neighbors for the first time this weekend and found it to be a excellent handling machine and had all the power needed

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents
doo 800 2008-2010 154
Cat Next M series

By used and save a little bit of money and see if it is the sled for you,
but keep in mind unless you absolutely love this sled you will probably
not keep it so maybe make sure you spend wisely

Also give consideration to who you ride with and what are they riding
and maybe can they help you with working on your sled
The other thing to consider is a good sled dealer

The Doo & Cats are very strong in the Hills

You would not be disappointed with either one unless you bought a bad sled which can happen with any of them

wide_open

Reaction score
Don't buy anything less than a 154" whatever you do if you plan on doing mountain riding. Experience guys can go shorter, but beginners usually do things like pin it when they should take off slow, or not give it enough throttle and the longer track gives you more of a chance to not get stuck. I know this from experience, I went with a 162" and it helped me not get stuck when I deserved to be stuck. For the sled, new Cat M8 for sure.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these new m8s must be leaps and bounds above the oold buecause ive ridden alot of pre 10 cats and they absoltely suck compared to an xp.

i will have to try one.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these new m8s must be leaps and bounds above the oold buecause ive ridden alot of pre 10 cats and they absoltely suck compared to an xp.

i will have to try one.

eeeaazzay! xp's are the sleds that suck compared to the em8:d

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol well maybe the 2010 is good i dont know. all i know is that the pre 2010 machines ive driven i might as well be driving a 2x4.

suspension/chassisis are good....power and clutching....not so much

BigBadBob

Reaction score
We were out the other weekend with a 800 Dragon. It out performed all the other sleds there, including the Cats and Doos. I agree with going with a litttle shorter track somewhere around 150. Again, depends on the type of riding you do. Try them all, see how they feel and go from there. They all are good sleds.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I can only say one thing...if I had gotten the opportunity to test the 2 machines, the Cat and the Doo, I would have likely bought the Cat only because the machine is easier to handle...however, saying this, riding with some experienced guys and seeing how effortless they make riding the Doo look, I will persevere and learn how to ride better, I do think they are both excellent sleds though

7gcbc

Reaction score
Polaris is always your best bet. The problems are ironed out for 2010. My 09 Assault has 1500 miles on it and is running great. The original pistons still looked like new when they were replaced. Careful break in, good warm-up and excellent dealer support from Quadra Truck in Ft. Mac. They sold 76 800's and 4 failed. They reflashed my ECU and changed my clutch weights when I purchased the sled. I have had 0 problems.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
eeeaazzay! xp's are the sleds that suck compared to the em8:d

What's an em8, is that something cat just came out with. If they are so good, find me a brand new 08 m8. Bet you could in 5 minutes. Find me a brand new 08 Summit. Not a chance. And they put out way more sleds. Don't get me wrong. I do like Cat. But I prefer doo.

Top Bottom