what sled should i buy

albertabrute

Reaction score
hi my name is logan i'm intersted on buying my first sled my choices are between the arctic cat m8 snowpro 162 and the polaris dragon 800 163 and also the summit everest 800 163 i would like to know your guys opinion on these sleds pros and cons thanks in advance

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering why your going with such a long track? 144 or 151 will take you a lot of places and let u climb pretty high....just my thoughts

albertabrute

Reaction score
well thanks for the info i will have to reconsider that and like this is my first sled so i'm new to the whole thing

albertabrute

Reaction score
what would your opinion be for my choices between the arctic cat the ski-doo and the polaris

m8cat

Reaction score
Poolaris forget it ...way to many problems with them, Doo arn't bad I guess except there ugly...My choice would be a Cat M8, although I am a little bias ...lol

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doesn't matter what you buy, if you own it long enough it will break down. If you have a good dealer close by with a reputation of good service then buy what ever they sell.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always been a skidoo fan but honestly haven't rode or tried any NEW Polaris or cats...my suggestion is to test drive as many different ones as u can then just choose what u like best. Also remember a good suit helmet and boots will cost about 800 bucks give or take. Don't go cheap on gear but also consider a brand like klim, hjc or some other well known brand because in the future if u get a different brand of sled u don't want ur gear to be say Polaris if ur next sled is a doo or whatever. What kind of riding you planning on doing?

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of riding will you do? Where....try if you can before you buy. Sled can be a sled all depends how it feels to you

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would wait untill spring and get the 800 etech if it comes out in a summit. If you can not wait till then, go with the 800 summit 154 more then anough. The reason the last post doesn't like the doo's is because he is behind them al day climbing and that is all he see's so it pisses him off. LOL

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what would your opinion be for my choices between the arctic cat the ski-doo and the polaris

He's right, for your first sled just stick with something smaller. It will be alot easier for you to handle. If you have never rode before I would just go with the 144, or whatever size they have out there right now. With doo I believe it's 147". I used to have a 144" summit 07, and I absolutely love it, I could climb just as good as anyone, a lot has to do how well you can ride. If your new you will be taking it easier and there is no use riding something that will make it feel awkward, and hard to turn in, & out of trees. Things like that. I went to a 154" 09 Summit last year, and though it's only really a 5" total length extension, I just don't seem to be able to do the things I did with the 144". I would not go bigger then the 154" for you. There is a lot of people out there with the bigger track that think they need it but doesn't suit their riding. I have watched a lot of them, and they just look odd, they have hard times turning around when going up hill, a sled you should be able to handle like it's a part of your body. For the brands, obviously I prefer doo. But I also really like the cats. I have ridden my buddies dragons, and I would not buy one, just way different since riding the doo, but I like the handling of the cats just as well as my doo. If you look around on the hills, doo is obviously the favorite. More advertising on their part, I don't know. Take it however right. Go out and sit on them, get a feel for it, and buy what feels good to you. Either way cat or a doo you can't go wrong. And I guess, get on the dragon, if you like the feel, then your set. Oh and find yourself a good dealer. That is a big issue, especially since I have been on this site, I have been hearing a lot of people disgusted with their dealership. I have dealt with A&E Racing out of Brooks Alberta. 403-362-6401. They have been very good to everyone that buys from them. Believe me I have had stuff repaired that would have never been covered at most places. I have never worried about any warranty issues ever. Good luck, and be safe. Oh, I just expected you were mountain riding, is this true?

Sky199

Reaction score
Absolutly go with the m8. It's the top rated sled, it's fast, and kicks a-s arctic cat makes the fastest sleds in the world go for the mean power of a kitty but if u like just going around trails and fields I'd recomend like a arctic cat crossfire 6 or 7

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny....how come no one ever mentions Yamaha?

The only thing they really have going for them is maybe there motor...doo is just gettin into the 4 stroke realm and it won't be long before they dominate it !

albertabrute

Reaction score
well thanks for the all the info guys i think i have narrowed it down to the arctic cat m8 and the ski-doo 800 i just have a question what is the e-tec and my riding that i'm going to be doing is hopefully try getting to the mountians every weekend but if i can't i will just ditch bang out west i'm going to be doing backcounrty, deep powder hillclimbing pretty much any type of riding just for all the doo fans what would i rather be better off with if i went with the ski-doo the everest model or summit x

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can not go wrong with any new sled you buy. They all handle a little different so try to ride as many as you can. One word of caution, you're going pretty long for your first sled. Not many people "really" need more than the 150-155 track length. If you really want the 160's you have a bigger market to sell the 150's if you want to upsize latter. Good luck and never regret your choice, you'll have a hoot on what ever you buy. Oh ya, don't forget to get your avy gear AND training.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well thanks for the all the info guys i think i have narrowed it down to the arctic cat m8 and the ski-doo 800 i just have a question what is the e-tec and my riding that i'm going to be doing is hopefully try getting to the mountians every weekend but if i can't i will just ditch bang out west i'm going to be doing backcounrty, deep powder hillclimbing pretty much any type of riding just for all the doo fans what would i rather be better off with if i went with the ski-doo the everest model or summit x

For your needs, the everest. You don't need an X package. I would try to get the hill climb edition if you still can.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x all the way, if you can find one, better resale......The X MAKES YOU GO FASTER AND HIGHER UP THE MOUNTIAN. Right guys....

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The more u pay the better it gets...x models has upgraded suspension and other parts.. Just rememeber avi gear will cost a bit to, belts are 175 a peice for these new machines etc... For the price of an x model u could get an everest with a bunch of goodies like bag and extra gas tank or whatever and some gear.... But heck if money is no objective, take er to the top!!!!

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There some great deals on all them right now personally i stay with shorter track easier handle just have to figure out what kind of riding you want to do
where it mountain or a little bit of both trail or the hills cross over are good
option(doo- renegade,pol- switchback,cat-crossfire yam-phaser) hope it helps

Top Bottom